Joy Division Day By Day - Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

Just seen some on discogs for around £160 -£190...

2. bettsaj

I've just checked and my copy of still is all analogue... same as yours

3. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think with the current conversion that's around $200 plus? pricy for sure, it's 4 180g vinyl lps in a really nice box.
    edit: uk pounds, so mid $250 to close to $300 us....

4. bettsaj

I don't need Still..... I might be better off just sourcing UP and Closer when I find them going for reasonable money... And obviously original first pressings of both UP and Closer are Translucent red

Anyway..... Back on topic :D

5. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Transmission/Novelty 12" is terrific, don't think that ever came out here in the US.

6. bettsaj

Obviously you have it?

I've just realised that Transmission 12" was also released after Curtis died.... 12th Sept 80, as per the date on the label.

7. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

factory uk import

8. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I do like both versions of She's lost control, but it always sounded to me that either Bernard or Hooky's guitar was out of tune on the UP version.

I also have both the US and UK releases of the She's lost control/Atmosphere 12" single and the US pressing is easily the best one. It has a truly immense sound!

lennonfan1 likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

She's Lost Control Again: I much prefer the original version to the stark 12" version which I find too techno and dull.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  10. bettsaj

What version is the US pressing... They all have FACUS catalogue numbers, including the UK version

11. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I'll check when I get home today.

12. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

These prices just seem crazy now, they were nothing like this when I was buying UK imports in Australia in the mid-late 90s (although my Transmission 7" is a local press ;)) I'm still astounded to this day at finding a UK Green cover Ceremony at a charity shop amongst all the Mantovani, James Last and Kamahl.

13. bettsaj

Joy Division first pressings are holding their price now..... original pressings of the first 2 albums in VG+ or better condition are going for stupid money, especially the translucent versions. Translucent Atmosphere is also expensive. An original hessian Still is 3 figures at around £120 to £150 in VG+ condition. There is a *sealed* copy of a Still 1st pressing on Discogs for £856 Joy Division - Still (Vinyl, UK, 1981) For Sale | Discogs

14. bettsaj

I've just read that the US version had She's Lost Control as the A side, with Atmosphere as the B side. The opposite of the UK.

15. bettsaj

The US version has She's Lost Control as the A side..... So should be easy to distinguish

16. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I bought the UK and US pressings back in the day, and the US pressing was easily the best sounding, with fantastic drum sound.
    I agree that all CD versions of 'Atmosphere' have been flat and nowhere near as good as that US pressing.
    However, I would recomend the 24-bit download version of 'Substance', which is easily the best digital version of all the tracks on that compilation.
    It's the closest that I've heard to that US pressing.

lennonfan1 likes this.
  17. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I have all 3, they are prized :)

18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

SLC isn’t one of my favourite JD-tunes.
    I heard it first, the 12” mix, on Substance and liked it right away, But I guess I got burnt out on it a bit.
    I know it’s like cursing in the church, but these days it strikes me as a bit monotonous, a bit like something the band could do in their sleep...
    I also think the 12” does the song no favours. The drums sound a tad too in-your-face to me and take away from the claustrophobic mood.
    Found out about the subject matter only this morning because of that AllMusic review.
    Epileptic seizures are a terrible ordeal, as I have learned from a dad of a friend of mine.
    I try to steer clear from this kind of thing in this JD-thread, but with this song it’s hard to ignore.
    Anyway, I prefer the album version, if I had to choose.

I’m ready. Fire away! :wave:

19. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

UK rear sleeve has a small (UK) on the bottom and Atmosphere is listed as first track (2nd track on the US).

UK label is white, US is a dark green/black.

US deadwax reads FACTUS 2A for She's lost control. UK is FACUS 2 B2, and it's a porky prime cut.

Usually porkys win, but in this case it's good but not the best.

Oh! And the UK vinyl is translucent red which is nice.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Sound of the Suburbs likes this.
  20. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Haven't you seen the Grant Gee documentary/ Control film? This is referenced in both I think.

Though I read a lot of music ranking type lists, I myself am useless at trying to rank things like albums and songs. I tend to think of an artist I like's music in tiers. SLC is probably towards the upper end of middle-tier JD to me. A very good song yet doesn't quite make it into my group of top tier absolute faves. I think I prefer the 12" version, only in that the 'wooden spoon banging on a saucepan' drum sound of the album version goes right through me and becomes rather annoying. :hide:

21. bettsaj

Apparently first US pressing are trans brown

22. bettsaj

I actually think the syndrum sound of the album version sounds like someone hitting themselves over their head with a metal ray

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  23. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Yeah, mine is translucent but I couldn't recognise much of a colour so maybe it is brown.

24. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

I like the look of the translucent red vinyl. I bid on a trans red LWTUA 7" recently (didn't win), even though I don't own a turntable. I just fancied framing the sleeve and/or record itself on the wall by my collection. I think the red only shows when its held up against the light and even then its not that strong a colour. So if I framed it, it would just look like a bog standard black record anyway. I keep looking out for coloured JD vinyl to frame, if I can get something that looks cool for a reasonable price.

25. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

By the way, it's been mentioned before on the forum but the affordable German Unknown Pleasures pressing comes highly recommended, especially considering the very high prices for a quiet UK original. 0060.362. Textured sleeve too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.