Record Store In New York

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by joe1320, Mar 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi
    Visiting New York for the first time next week
    Could any members tell me if the are any stores about the Manhattan area
    Also hope to be Boston for two days if there is anywhere
    Thanks

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Academy Records - 2 NYC locations and 1 location in Greenpoint, Brooklyn

Jazz Record Center - W26th in Manhattan

Brooklyn is probably your best bet for record shops.

3. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I’ve been to, and purchased from Shady records. It’s just SE of Washington Square (which is worth visiting itself).

4. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

Doing the same thing in May only Boston first then moving onto NYC, not been to either before so watching this thread with interest

5. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

There's a great North Brooklyn stretch running from Greenpoint to Williamsburg to Bushwick that probably involves close to ten stores - and if you're motivated enough, it can all be done on foot. I'll put together a list once the caffeine kicks in.

eddiel likes this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Cool. I'll be in NYC for the WFMU fair and we're staying in Greenpoint. I'm hoping to have some time hitting up the record stores as well as the record show so I'm looking forward to your list :)

7. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Oh, nice - you'll definitely leave town broke! I've been living in Greenpoint for 20 years, so if you need any info regarding the neighborhood, places to eat/drink, etc., just shoot me a PM.

eddiel likes this.
  8. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

OK, it's JuanTCB's North Brooklyn Record Guide, from north to south.

Greenpoint:

Record Grouch - 986 Manhattan Ave. - small but lots of good stuff. You might not find a bargain but you also won't overpay. RECOMMENDED.

The Thing - 1001 Manhattan Ave. They've got a basement filled with thousands upon thousands of unfiled records. Apparently, apparently there are lots of dance/R&B/hip hop 12" from the '80s & '90s down there. FWIW, the word around the 'hood is that it's bedbug city. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Academy - 85 Oak St. The sheer volume means you'll probably find something cool. Fairly priced, as well. RECOMMENDED.

Captured Tracks - 195 Calyer St. Hit or miss, but worth a stop. They've purged a ton of stock lately, so hopefully the new stuff will be a little fresher. RECOMMENDED.

Co-op 87 - 87 Guernsey St. Small but you can occasionally find some real gems. Great 45 section, too - possibly the best in the city. RECOMMENDED.

Williamsburg:

Rough Trade - it's a big, sterile record store but it's still a fun place to poke around (and it's kind of a throwback to the glory days of Tower, etc.). Lots of books/magazines, as well, and a great venue in the back of the store. RECOMMENDED IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE NEARBY

Ear Wax - 167 N. 9th St. - They've been around forever but they're overpriced and filled with basically average stock. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Norman's Sound and Vision - 555 Metropolitan Ave. - East Village legends who relocated to Williamsburg a few years ago. The place is a mess, filled with the same crap that sat around the old store for years, yet still with their trademark price mark-up. AVOID!

Bushwick:

Human Head - 168 Johnson Ave. - A small space crammed with stuff. A nice selection which can run slightly pricey but their bargain bins are unparalleled. Plus, they sort their new releases by day, so you can see what's freshest. RECOMMENDED AND WORTH THE HIKE

There are a bunch of other record stores in Bushwick, most of which are new to me - I've heard good things about Superior Elevation but haven't actually been. I can't vouch for the rest, sorry. But basically, everything here is accessible via the G or L trains, the B62 bus, or on foot (it's all within about a 2 mile radius).

Happy digging!

Fractured, zphage and eddiel like this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Thanks @JuanTCB We'll have our hands full with the WFMU show but I want to squeeze in a visit to some shops too. I'll hit you up PM wise closer to the time for some other place recommendations. :)

10. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Also a Greenpoint resident. I second all the recommendations and warnings. I haven't found anything at Co-Op 87 is a long time but they did open another location in Bushwick called Brooklyn Record Exchange. I would definitely hit Academy, Record Grouch and Human Head.

eddiel and JuanTCB like this.
  11. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Yup - looks like Co-Op's Greenpoint location is shuttered for the time being. Scratch that one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.