USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

All pre-shipment means is that the seller has yet to hand it off to USPS. If the seller didn't get it scanned at the counter, he cannot prove USPS took delivery.

If sellers simply drop off without a scan, I've been told that there is no guarantee there will be a departure scan from that particular location. However, one must hope that with the number of scans that would be required to go from point A to point B, there should be other scan opportunities to demonstrate that USPS has the item.

George P likes this.
  2. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Thirteen days ago my record departed from Chicago. I am located a 2 hour DRIVE away from Chicago.

3. HJP

HJP Senior Member

My packages usually arrive on time. I would say it’s getting better.

4. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Doesn't pre-shipment mean the postage has been printed but it hasn't yet been handed to USPS? Perhaps I have this wrong but it sounds to me like the seller got a better offer.

George P likes this.
  5. Veni Vidi Vici

Seller mailed package, Feb 18th. Item got to Chicago but tracking says delayed, Feb 28th. Missing mail case submitted to USPS, Mar 15th. Heard nothing from them.

6. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

I am dealing with something similar. My records departed Chicago 14 days ago. I am a 2 hour drive away in Wisconsin. Maybe it's a Chicago thing?

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

in oregon???

8. Veni Vidi Vici

Yes, I think there is a serious backlog in Chicago, or possibly a lot of mail has been... damaged. Who knows? When I have a little time this week I am going to call USPS - that has previously (the one occasion I've had to do it) got things moving again pretty quickly. What does your tracking show (if you have it)? My last known location was Lincolnwood, IL, which is within a few miles of my local P.O. but not on the usual route I see in tracking. Something is up, I am sure. Perhaps a diversion of a few trucks to a less overwhelmed office, since forgotten.

9. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Fourteen days later, both my packages show an update of "arriving at distribution center" in Chicago. Phew, they aren't lost. Maybe they were able to unclog a pipe and a bunch of packages came flying out? :)

Dave likes this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

In Transit = we have no freaking idea where your package is, no one's been smart enough to scan it, since that last time, 2 days ago.

11. rolli

rolli Forum Resident

I never had an issue with USPS shipping until this past January... I purchased a record (Coleman Hawkins - "Wrapped Tight") off Discogs from a very reputable seller in Brooklyn and they swear the package was shipped. The tracking info never moved from pre-shipment status (it's still that way). I'm only an 8 hour drive away... so for sure the package should have arrived within a week, but it was not to be. I waited for 3 weeks before contacting the seller who requested I wait another 3 weeks.

I'm assuming it was stuck somewhere in the USPS Brooklyn Distribution Center. I did contact USPS and all they told me was what I already knew. I would have contacted the distribution center directly, but could not find a good number. So the record has still not arrived and I'm not holding my breath. The seller did refund me in entirety, so no issue there. I ended up purchasing some other records from them that did arrive without issue.

12. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Funny, my Slydog box shipped March 8th and is stuck in Illinois also. In transit since March 12th but no update on tracking. Illinois must be having issues!

13. Myke

Well, here it is, 8 days after Music Direct shipped my album, 5 days since it was last scanned, in Pittsburgh. I've filed a missing mail report, nothing yet.

14. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

I have been experiencing unusual delays, both on a disc I sold on the forum and two I bought from forum members through the classifieds. All three are now late and tracking merely says “in transit, arriving late.” This is on top of several discs I bought last month on eBay where tracking only said “in transit” (not where) for well over a week. All of these were sent media, so I assume that USPS has changed something in how it is handling media (like deep sixing them until they run out of other things to do).

If so, this is a shame for two reasons. First, media used to be reliable and often as fast as first class (based on my experience selling many discs on eBay). Second, the cost difference between first class and media now is significant. It is getting harder and harder to sell CDs for an amount that makes it worth the trouble. Media now allows you to make an extra 35 to 50 cents on the sale over first class, which matters when you factor in the costs of postage, PayPal fees, and eBay fees on a disc that sells for less than $10 with free shipping.

I have enough stuff to listen to, so delays in receiving orders is not too troubling. But as a seller, it is frustrating when you go to the trouble of mailing promptly, only to see tracking that states the item is “in transit, arriving late.”

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  15. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Here's the current status of a CD I sold in January:

Thursday, Jan 24, 2019 12:00 AM N/A In Transit, Arriving Late
    Sunday, Jan 20, 2019 7:04 PM MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER Departed USPS Regional Facility
    Sunday, Jan 20, 2019 11:57 AM MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 4:34 PM GERMANTOWN , TN Departed Post Office
    Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 10:34 AM GERMANTOWN , TN USPS in possession of item

Myke likes this.
  16. Myke

This may be the saddest example of...would incompetence be the right word ?
    Woke up to an e mail from the USPS informing me that they're sorry, but they've done everything in their power to find my missing package, that I filed a claim on, and just can't. The situation is now closed.
    I copied the tracking number, pasted it into their own tracking search box, and...it was delivered back in early February. :wtf:

I now have one shipment that has been "out there" since March 21st, from Music Direct in Chicago.
    I have a second, that was supposed to have been picked up from Acoustic Sounds in Salina, Kansas, last Wednesday.
    :shrug:

17. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

I mailed a disc sold in the classifieds on March 25 from Orlando to Tampa, about 90 miles away. It was supposed to arrive March 28 but has been “in transit delayed” ever since. I refunded the purchase because I have never been able to get any help from the postal service finding errant packages. I’m thinking this will be one of those stories you see where a letter mailed during WW II ends up delivered 50 years later!

Myke likes this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

:(My current experience is that when my primary Mailman is on vacation - my mail gets delivered to the wrong house

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Pretty bad for me.

1) A package from Hawaii to Niagara Falls, NY took 42 days to get there by Media Mail!

2) Right now waiting for a package originating from PA which had encountered 2 long unexplained delays. Day 16 and no sign of it yet.

Myke likes this.
  20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I order lots personally and for my job, and I can attest that the most unreliable delivery service is when multiple carriers are involved: usually UPS or DHL handing off to USPS. Seems to square rather than double the chances of something going lost.

I actually have very little trouble with packages that stay within one service and my sample rate might qualify as "scientific."

googlymoogly and Strat-Mangler like this.
  21. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I am currently waiting on a shipment that was stuck in Pittsburgh for 13 days! I was afraid it had been misplaced.

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Package #2 finally arrived.

23. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I know the big sorting center near Pittsburgh (Warrendale) just had the mercury scare and had a delay, but wow, I didn't realize Pittsburgh's regional USPS was also a delay point for so many people even before that.

Chicago's post office has a long history of being absolutely terrible. Many other cities have a measurement - whatever it is they use to measure a good job - in the high 80s or 90s, and Chicago is usually in the 50s and 60s.

As a buyer and a local resident, my biggest problem with Chicago's USPS is that they have lost several of my international orders. They have misplaced five of them, three which they eventually found after a long search (one of them took eight months).

And the truly crazy thing is on the two that they can't find? Both of them were in the carrier's Jeep. CAME TO MY HOME. There was no one there to sign for them, so it went back to their sorting center. And THAT is where it was lost.

Which means it cleared customs and made the whole long journey, and it got lost in a building that is less than a mile away from me.

So it's hobbled my ability to get anything from an international seller. I just won't do it any more, especially if it's an expensive record. There's a repress I want from a label that only sells direct from the UK, but man, I just can't justify spending $50 (with shipping) on something that may or may not arrive.

24. Myke

The one from Music Direct is just gone. Even the tracking finally disappeared.
    So they sent out a replacement, and it arrived here in town yesterday, but then went on to the next town ?!?!?
    Hasn't left there yet, so I called my PO, and the man that helped me said I should get an updated scan by this afternoon, hoping it doesn't go all the way back to Memphis ! Also said since yesterday was the tax deadline that slowed things down too. (I do mine online, and assumed most would by now, but I didn't say that).

As for the second album from Acoustic Sounds, it sat at the Salina PO for 6 days, before it took off, but then stalled out in Iowa ? It now has the infamous "In Transit" dated 3 days ago ( they used to at least keep the date current ). I contacted AS because the album is marked *Limited Stock*, and they only said Media Mail has been really slow recently, but they had enough stock to cover me for a replacement, if needed.

If I could get the 4 I'm waiting on, in this house, I may never use Media Mail again, or at least until things change.

25. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Here's a doozy example: (media mail)

Wed, Apr 17, 2019 4:55 AM PDT Brooklyn NY US Delivered
    Wed, Apr 17, 2019 12:05 AM PDT Brooklyn NY US Package arrived at a carrier facility
    Mon, Apr 15, 2019 11:37 PM PDT Jersey City Nj Network Distribution Center US Package has left the carrier facility
    Mon, Apr 15, 2019 8:28 PM PDT Jersey City Nj Network Distribution Center US Package arrived at a carrier facility

Fri, Apr 12, 2019 7:44 AM PDT Seattle Wa Network Distribution Center US Package has left the carrier facility
    Thu, Apr 11, 2019 8:00 PM PDT Package has left the carrier facility
    Thu, Apr 11, 2019 6:32 AM PDT Seattle Wa Network Distribution Center US Package arrived at a carrier facility
    Thu, Apr 11, 2019 12:41 AM PDT Seattle Wa Distribution Center US Package has left the carrier facility
    Wed, Apr 10, 2019 1:34 PM PDT Seattle Wa Distribution Center US Package arrived at a carrier facility
    Wed, Apr 10, 2019 1:46 AM PDT Seattle WA US Package arrived at a carrier facility
    Tue, Apr 9, 2019 10:28 PM PDT Package arrived at a carrier facility
    Tue, Apr 9, 2019 9:02 AM PDT Seattle Wa Network Distribution Center US Package arrived at a carrier facility

Tue, Apr 9, 2019 7:47 AM PDT Portland OR US Package arrived at a carrier facility
    Sun, Apr 7, 2019 5:51 PM PDT Package has shipped

3-4 days of going in and out of Seattle. Did it fall off the FSM every day? (FSM 1000 are the machines that do the physical sorting, run by two employees.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.