Joy Division Day By Day - Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devin

Devin Time's Up

bettsaj , Ive never done a poll myself so I'm curious. Are you able to see the names of the members who voted and which songs they voted for?

2. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

No... I see what you see

3. Devin

Devin Time's Up

I'm actually surprised that they don't show you that info. After all it's your poll.

Anyway I can already see that my personal faves are not in the running. I chose two from Closer.

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have never seen that done for anything other than a bootleg/pirate to deceive.
    Why not use the original stampers? My copy doesn't sound goosed like the remaster.

5. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Because it’s a fun thing to do?

Here’s a remaster which duplicates the run - out groove messages:

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

6. bettsaj

Is that an analogue mastering jobbie?... Or a digital. Reading the blurb it suggests it's analogue... Is there a Closer equivalent?

EDIT: Just checked and there is a Closer equivalent. Same labelling on the shrink, "remastered from the original master tapes" suggests analogue. The UK London Unknown Pleasures doesn't have the dead wax etching, where the UK Closer does. If these are analogue i think I'll be buying myself some new copies.

Both my UP and Closer are cut from the 2007 remasters which is digital.... I so wish I hadn't sold my originals!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  7. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

No idea if analogue or digital, but both UP and Closer sounded very close to my original copies from 79/80.

8. bettsaj

My copy of still (Hessian sleeve) was released at the same time as those, 2007 and the labelling on the shrink says "Remastered from the original master tapes". The labelling on the normal card sleeve version of Still says "Replicating original album artwork, cut from the 2007 remasters".

My thought on it is they did a run of analogue pressings from the master tapes, these were exactly like the originals including the etchings. Then remastered them to digital. So I think i have digital UP and Closer, but analogue Still which is from the same pressing run as the In Memory box set.

Willowman likes this.
  9. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Sounds likely.

10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

that doesn't have A Porky Prime Cut on the remaster, and the original does not have the long series of numbers.

11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

this thread has inspired me to pull out this, An Original 1st press U.P translucent red pressing

[​IMG]

fortherecord, Willowman and Devin like this.
  12. bettsaj

Day 20

Wilderness

I travelled far and wide through many different times,
    What did you see there?
    I saw the saints with their toys,
    What did you see there?
    I saw all knowledge destroyed.
    I travelled far and wide through many different times.

I travelled far and wide through prisons of the cross,
    What did you see there?
    The power and glory of sin,
    What did you see there?
    The blood of Christ on their skins,
    I travelled far and wide through many different times.

I travelled far and wide and unknown martyrs died,
    What did you see there?
    I saw the one sided trials,
    What did you see there?
    I saw the tears as they cried,
    They had tears in their eyes,
    Tears in their eyes,

Tears in their eyes,
    Tears in their eye.

Wilderness is another Joy Division song where I feel Curtis had upped his game in his lyric writing. This in my opinion is another stand out track from Unknown Pleasures, I really like this song.
    Hookys bass drives this songs from the outset, Barneys guitar cutting through the bass and drums... excellent production work by Hannett. The guitar solo in my mind (as i'm a guitarist) is really quite inventive. You can tell Barney isn't a proficiently practiced guitar player, as this solo is typical of the sort of thing that you'd play when starting out..... All on one string. but, the caveat to that is it's a great solo, it fits the song perfectly.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Pop_Zeus likes this.
  13. bettsaj

Wilderness live at The Apollo Manchester

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  14. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Great song. The only(?) JD song with lines written for two different people.

15. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

Songs like this and Shadowplay really show what Hannett could do - You can hear that Bernard's guitar was loud and distorted when he played it but Martin put an amazing atmosphere around it.

It's really interesting listening to them on demo or radio sessions when he wasn't there to work his magic almost like an alternate Joy Division. Not that I don't like both sides of them, it's just interesting to hear the process.

16. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

Up next: Interzone?

17. bettsaj

Yep

18. bettsaj

As a matter of interest, Barney used a Vox UL730 amp and cab with an Altair Power Attenuator. The power attenuator enabled him to turn up the amp to get distortion without blowing his eardrums out. A bit like a power soak, or Marshall power brake. The Vox UL730 was a hybrid valve and transistor amp from 1966 and was famously used by George Harrison and John Lennon throughout 66 and 67 recording sessions at Abbey Road. I think it had a transistor pre-amp stage, and a valve power amp stage (or it could have been the other way around) He still owns this amp. Barney used this amp throughout his career with Joy Division, and then more or less throughout his whole career with NO, however he has recently moved over to using Vox AC30's lately and retired the UL730...... These are worth a fortune now, and are highly sought after as they made very few. They are currently the rarest Vox amp for collectors.

The VOX Showroom - Vox UL 730 Amplifier

Here's Barney in performance with Joy Division. You can clearly see the UL730 amp, and the small orange Altair Power Attenuator on top of the amp head. This photo was likely taken near the end of JD's life as Barney is playing a Gibson SG which he started using in late 79, when he could possibly afford to upgrade from his Shergold guitar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Devin, Kassonica and onlyacanvasky like this.
  19. bettsaj

Anyhow...... Back on topic. WILDERNESS

20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Another highlight for me. Love the unusual structure here and Ian’s deadpan description of organized religion forms a nice contrast with Bernard’s raging guitar. Musically it’s hard to pinpoint, but I hear a Velvet Underground vibe, like they stumbled upon something that just sounded great and went with it.

21. bettsaj

It's very repetitious, a bit like Shadowplay, they found a nice chord sequence and stuck with it. This format comes up a lot in Joy Division songs, Wilderness, Shadowplay, Walked in Line, Transmission, Heart And Soul all have the same chords or riffs just repeating over and over. Nothing wrong with that if you can add colour to it to make it interesting...... Which Joy Division managed to do no problem.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  22. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

repetition can produce trance-like qualities which I think are important in Joy Division music. Notice how much of the material comes from dream like states.

bettsaj likes this.
  23. bettsaj

Heart And Soul is a classic example of this.... The drums are very hypnotic on that track, and the synth bass also....... Looking forward to discussing Closer :cool:

24. Devin

Devin Time's Up

My Factus 1 US first pressing sounds heavenly. Message in deadwax: I've been looking for a guide.
    [​IMG]

25. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

hmm...wonder who did these inscriptions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.