New York and Boston Record Store Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Harry Hotspur, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident Thread Starter

Heading off to NYC and Boston on vacation and wondered if anyone had recommendations for good record stores. Is there anywhere that might stock the likes of our host's 24 Karat Gold gems, SACDs and the like? Thanks in anticipation.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Best stores in the immediate Boston area include Looney Tunes in Boston, Somerville Grooves in Somerville, and Cheapo and Stereo Jack's in Cambridge. If you dig R&B/soul/gospel, head to the legendary Skippy White's in Roxbury (Boston). All of these are accessible by the MTA subway.

In NYC, I like Academy (various locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn), and if you're a jazz fan, the Jazz Record Center in Manhattan is a must.

Have a wonderful trip and I welcome you to the USA!

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I haven't lived in Boston for a few years, but if you're looking for CDs/SACDs, I would recommend the Newbury Comics chain (they have new and used music). I'm not sure how many CDs you'll find in the other places mentioned.
    And for completeness' sake:

Record stores in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut!!

5. Harry Hotspur

Wow. Thanks so much. Already know some in NYC but so many new names/ places to check out. Much appreciated. Always like to go and speak to writer Bruce Eder who runs record store on upper West side of NYC. I leave about four hours coz it's great chats. Hope he's still around.

6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

A1 is the only shop in Manhattan that’s worth a visit.

uzn007 likes this.
  7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Harry Hotspur likes this.
  8. uzn007

I wasn't impressed.

I liked A1 and Academy in the East Village. I haven't been to the Jazz Record Center (I buy mostly rock these days) but it sounds essential, indeed.

9. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

You can buy records by Boston in most any NYC record store. Same for the NY Dolls, none were banned in Boston, i don’t think.

zphage likes this.
  10. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I disagree. They used to be OK when they were relatively inexpensive just 2-3 years ago. They claim that they don't sell on eBay, so it was possible sometime to find a gem and not to pay too much. Recently though their prices tripled (thanks to 20-year old newbies, which this store usually full of).
    Another thing that makes me laugh - they price records regardless of condition and country of manufacture. $25 and up for often scratched, pretty common US Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin album in worn cover - it's almost an insult. Do they really think I'm that dumb?

11. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

You won't find the 24K and SACDs at Somerville Grooves; just about all vinyl there.

uzn007 likes this.
  12. Harry Hotspur

Ok. Thanks so much.

13. uzn007 likes this.
  14. Harry Hotspur

Excellent.

15. So how did you make out with the stores?

16. Harry Hotspur

Battled thru monsoon weather to hip Rough Trade in Williamsburg where they were playing Who out-takes. No luck there but success nearer to home at Barnes & Noble in Tribeca where I nabbed highly rated Carpenters' singles collection for 7.99 and remastered Welcome by Santana for 4.99. Also couldn't resist Japanese versions of the US A Hard Day's Night and Yesterday and Today. On route to Boston where they have some interesting record stores, then eventually back to NYC for more shopping. Oh, saw and loved Carole King musical Beautiful after visits to Brill Building and home of Aldon Publishers across the road. Having a ball!

17. Harry Hotspur

Four nice finds at In Your Ear! in Boston including a pair of Vic Anesini jobs, The Hollies' Greatest Hits and Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol 3. Also the fantastic sounding Neil Diamond/His 12 Greatest Hits and the two disc/DVD Jimmy Buffett Live At Fenway Park recorded a short walk from the record store, all pre-used but in good condition and costing a total of 24 dollars.

uzn007 likes this.
  18. uzn007

Kickin' it old school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.