Everything Eloy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deredordica, Mar 27, 2018.

1. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak Thread Starter

Eloy is one of my top ten favorite bands, but no one seems to care much about them except, like, three dudes in this forum. Let this be the 'Everything Eloy' thread where we celebrate their albums and turn people on to this really cool prog band from Germany.

My favorite album of theirs is 1977's Ocean, which is kind of spacey; it ought to please many fans of Pink Floyd or Alan Parsons Project.

[​IMG]

2. Rodant Kapoor

Rodant Kapoor Forum Resident

Wow! No love for the Mighty Eloy?!?!

deredordica likes this.
  3. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak Thread Starter

It's so sad...

4. Rodant Kapoor

Rodant Kapoor Forum Resident

It is!

deredordica likes this.
  5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I dig them, but have none of their albums. Where to start?

deredordica likes this.
  6. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Depends on point of reference.

Jethro Tull - start w/ Inside
    Pink Floyd - Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
    Alan Parsons - Colours

Ra I think was the last album I've heard, I wasn't interested in the kind of sound they (or most likely the label) were going for. Inside for me is their best album overall.

7. Ocean is a good album! The four that follow are also good. colours in particular is a great prog-new wave crossover album. The bass player they had from Dawn through Mighty Echoes was amazing.

deredordica likes this.
  8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Dig +1

deredordica and Pete Puma like this.
  9. Ocean!

deredordica likes this.
  10. Nice summary!

deredordica likes this.
  11. Jachay

Jachay Forum Resident

I'm late to Eloy, but like what i've heard. Just picked up a copy of Floating and it's great.
    Their stuff doesn't often appear in my local shops, and when they do they don't last long.

deredordica likes this.
  12. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Big fan of Floating and Inside. I have Ocean as well, but that one never did it for me. I love Floating and Inside though.

13. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Yep, Floating and Inside that's the two for me. Don't really care for the others.

deredordica likes this.
  14. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I love the ocean album it's pretty great. Sometimes the singing of eloy turns me off from digging too deep in their catalog but I can appreciate the music and overall sound.

hi_watt and deredordica like this.
  15. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I know who they are and like them since i ran across a track on a Prog magazine compilation and was very impressed. I keep meaning to get further into them but haven't yet. First album I found was Floating too. Very heavy in a good way!

deredordica likes this.
  16. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Here is a compilation of what seems to be live in the studio footage. If I remember correctly, it goes chronologically but sadly nothing from Inside.

luiscardoso88 and deredordica like this.
  17. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Searched for sales on vinyl, found this thread.
    I have several Eloy first pressings, and really dig them. The Live record is superb, Ocean, Power and a Passion, Mighty Cries - like them all. Later stuff not so much, but I really dig new record "The Vision, the sword... pt 1" and waiting for a second part. Wanted to get Dawn, but US sellers charge twice, so will wait )).
    One thing about them is that vocal is very "specific" and you like it or hate it. The way Bornemann sings may appear that all songs sound very similar (they are not) - so it is love it or hate proposition... )

I just got (no time to look at yet) the legacy box - 2 dvd with one being Mighty Echoes - the story of Eloy (documentary with English subtitles) and second disk with clip collection ))). Will look at it this weekend.
    For people who like Eloy I can also recommend Jane - krautrock from the same "era". Also very "spacey" ))).

izgoblin, ganma and deredordica like this.
  18. Old Zorki II

Just to continue - watched this double DVD.
    First one was a very interesting, long documentary spanning through all years til 2010. Very interesting, lots of interviews with former band members and of course Bornemann himself.
    One thing I was really surprised that how high he valued some of later output, which IMHO was much less interesting then "classic" Eloy. Oh well.
    Second one was described as clips - but most are actually concert footage, some not bad. (Early stuff is "fake concert" like they often did in those years...)
    All in all if you are a fan I can definitely recommend it.

izgoblin and deredordica like this.
  19. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Another Eloy fan here. The last of the 3 maybe... ;) I have all there albums up to Metromania and today bought Chronicles I, an 'updated' best of. Don't know if can replace the original tracks but should be an interesting listen nonetheless.
    [​IMG]

deredordica likes this.
  20. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

deredordica likes this.
  21. Old Zorki II

O! I have first presses, but will look into this set. I have several Grobschnitt records remastered by Eroc (Black and White remasters), and they sound excellent... He was Grobschnitt drummer, but he probably will do good job as well! /
    Especially Dawn - even first pressing is kind of very quiet and dull...
    Too bad they do not included Power and Passion into "classic years". But nobody is perfect ))

Crimson jon, izgoblin and deredordica like this.
  22. Yufri

Yufri Forum Resident

Big Eloy fan here.
    And not only because I‘m german.
    But.....and I think I‘m in the minority here, my real love for Eloy began with „Colours“. I think the overall musicianship increased dramatically with this record and the entrance of Hannes Folbert and Hannes Arcona took a big part in that. The overall musical approach may became a little more straight, but I think the songwriting became stronger.
    Especially the keyboards from Hannes Folbert were a great addition. Frank Bornemann became a more confident singer and I always loved the thundering bass of Klaus-Peter Matziol.
    Colours, Planets, Time to Turn, Performance and Metronania are my favourite albums.
    I really love Ocean, Power and Passion and Dawn too but I never got behind Silent Cries... apart from The Apocalypse.

23. Colours is an excellent album and easily makes my top 3 Eloy albums after Ocean and Mighty Echoes. Planets and Time To Turn are also very enjoyable, but I could never get into Performance and Metromania. I don't have much love for Dawn or Power and The Passion. Dawn has some nice moments, but is extremely inconsistent.

I hope the Eroc remasters are not compressed to Sh!t like the remasters he did for Rockpommel's land and Solar Music Live. I like dynamic range with my prog.

deredordica likes this.
  24. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Good luck with that. While it would be presumptuous to say I've heard every title he's remastered, every one I have heard was LOUD and compressed. As to Eloy, I'm sorry to say I couldn't get past the lyrics and the vocalist who sang them with a very heavy German accent. :sigh:

deredordica likes this.
  25. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I wouldn't bet on it, unfortunately. The first cd releases are the best for Eloy. Most post 2000 remasters are squishy. My copy of Dawn with bonus tracks was not squishy strangely enough. Case by case I guess. I bought Colors twice for some reason. Both squishy remasters. :doh: But recently came across an early release with no bonus tracks ... much better.

deredordica and Pete Puma like this.