The Kinks - Arthur deluxe boxset - October 25, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by donl, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donl

donl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone heard if Arthur will get the deluxe treatment like VGPS?

Rickchick, Elliottmarx and btltez like this.
  2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Ray hinted at it during an appearance with the Kast Off Kinks last year but I don't think that anything official has been announce.

Personally, I believe that there will be.

Derek Slazenger and btltez like this.
  3. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

ajsmith likes this.
  4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Exciting! I was wondering. Much less speculation on this so far compared to VGPS in 2018.

mjlynott likes this.
  5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Poor Arthur has reached middle age!

6. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Its hard to imagine five cds worth of material (if it will be a super deluxe) unless the whole album is remixed.

Dave Davies material usually pads out Arthur releases but you would imagine Hidden Treasures was the last word on that.

We'll hopefully get the alternate version of King Kong and more demos

Id love a live set of their return to the US.
    They might sound rubbish but it would be fascinating nonetheless.

There's also the Shangrila animation sequence mentioned in the current Arthur set

Not expecting any more BBC revelations though

ajsmith likes this.
  7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Just to reiterate what I’ve said a few times before on other threads; ideally it will be a multimedia package really going into the story of the unmade TV show. Ideally with the full script. If it’s the same format as the VGPS box, they could really take advantage of that box set real estate, much more than the VGPS box was able to, by including as much visual stuff (set designs etc) as possible from the tv show if they still exist. 69 tour would also be an interesting well to go to. They do sound pretty poor on those bootlegs though so I dunno if that stuff would pass R.Davies approval.

Do we know if the Shangri La animation was definitely completed and still exists? I know it was mentioned somewhere (2011 Arthur deluxe booklet I think?) but as far as I recall it was just a brief reference in passing.

Jim Duckworth and mjlynott like this.
  8. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Besides adding the B-sides "Mindless Child Of Motherhood" and "This Man He Weeps Tonight," I'm not sure of what else there would be to add, unless it also includes all of the "Where Was Spring?" material, making it more of a "50th anniversary of the entire year of 1969" instead of just "Arthur."

9. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

What 69 bootlegs are there? Havent come across them.

Yes in the 2011 booklet Ray does mention an animation sequence but thats the only place Ive ever read about it

10. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

It was mentioned in the VGPS deluxe thread that Ray doesn't have the remaining Where Was Spring tracks

11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Yeh, that's a big fat hint, ain't it? :)

12. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

In the meantime, the 2011 Sanctuary release is darn good listening!

As with the Deluxe VGPS, the excitement would come from a remix of the album and other contemporary tracks.

ajsmith likes this.
  13. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

There are at least 4 known bootlegs from the ‘69 US tour. On my phone just now so can’t link to further info but will add it later. I’ve only heard one of them, which is the one that’s usually titled ‘Back In The USA’.

mjlynott likes this.
  14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Hmm, I can't find the Kinks bootleg site that listed all 4 '69 bootlegs anymore, it must have gone down recently as I was able to access it last year.

The most commonly spotted '69 audio (the one I've heard) can be accessed here anyway. Please check in any illusions you may have had about the 60s Kinks as a great live band* at the door! (*not that they couldn't be great in the 60s - the 1965 Paris concert alone attests to that - but they were erratic, esp on the 69 US comeback).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  15. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    mjlynottForum Resident
    New
    Thanks I checked this out earlier.
    My expectations were low beforehand musically but have so far been pleasantly surprised particularly with Mindless Child ot Motherhood, You're Lookin Fine, and Dave's playing in general.
    The singing not so much.

ajsmith likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Just heard Dave Davies say that Ray is working on an Arthur 50th Anniversary set, for release later this year. Dave was being interviewed by Ken Dashow on a weekly "Breakfast With The Beatles" Sunday morning broadcast on Q104.3 in NYC.

Of course, with the Kinks, anything may or may not happen. But that was good news to hear.

17. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

There's at least one outtake from Arthur called "We All Make Mistakes." I'm not sure if they recorded it though.

18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I finally managed to track down the (seemingly unGoogleble) Kinks Bootleg site I previously mentioned with the full listing of what 1969 show recordings are known to be out there. 7 shows are listed, with tracklistings for 5.

The Kinks Bootlegs Collection

'1969
    10/13/69 Boston Tea Party, Boston, MA (10/23?)

Last Of The Steam Powered Trains / Mindless Child Of Motherhood / Waterloo Sunset / Mr.Churchill Says / Victoria / You Really Got Me (cut) / All Day And All Of The Night / Medley: A Well Respected Man / Death Of A Clown / Dandy / Medley: / Milk Cow Blues / See My friend / Party Line / Rip It Up / Brainwashed / Sunny Afternoon / Till The End Of The Day

10/17?/69 Filmore East, NY, USA 2nd show

Till the End of the Day / Last of the Steam-Powered Trains / Waterloo Sunset / Mindless Child of Motherhood / Some Mother's Son / You Really Got Me / All Day and All of the Night / Mr. Churchill Says / Milk Cow Blues / See My Friends / Brainwashed

10/18?/69 Filmore East, NY, USA 1st show

Till the End of the Day / Last of the Steam-Powered Trains / Waterloo Sunset / Mr. Churchill Says / Brainwashed / Mindless Child of Motherhood / Sunny Afternoon / Milk Cow Blues / See My Friends / Rip It Up / All Shook Up / Tired of Waiting for You / You Really Got Me / All Day and All of the Night / Victoria / Dedicated Follower of Fashion / Well Respected Man / Death of a Clown / Dandy

10/23/69 Boston Tea Party, Boston, MA, USA

10/25/69 Boston Tea Party, Boston, MA, US

11/27/69 Filmore West, San Francisco, CA, USA

You're Looking fine/Waterloo Sunset/Mr. Churchill Says/Victoria/Big Sky/Don't You Fret/Well Respected Man/ -Death Of A Crown/Dandy/Love Me Till the Sun Shines

11/2?/69 Filmore West, San Francisco, CA, USA

Till The End of the Day / Last of the Steam Powered Trains / You're Looking Fine / Mr. Churchill Says / Big Sky / You Really Got Me / All Day And All Of The Night / Love Me Till The Sun Shines / Brainwashed / Medley - Milk Cow Blues / See My Friends /Tired of Waiting For You / Brainwashed / Louie Louie / Victoria'

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  19. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Many thanks for this.

I've had a listen to some of the Boston Tea Party gig (both shows)

Quality worse than the Filmore West but still of interest especially the crowd response when they start playing VGPS. It seems the album really did have a cult following over in the US

All Down The Line and ajsmith like this.
  20. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Andrew Sandoval just posted the message below on Facebook.

[​IMG]

21. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Andrew Sandoval has posted on Instagram that he has wrapped up work on Arthur 50 ...

22. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

:cheers: The wait is going to be hard.

Here's hoping we get some amazing remixes like the ones in the VGPS box. Even though the original stereo is very good, I like to hear different options.

Dave Hoos and Surferghost like this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They need a 5.1 mix to be done of one of these Kinks albums, if 8 tracks were used - not just a 4 track recording. Provided of course multitrack tape survive.

Arthur or Lola seems like an obvious choice or else Schoolboys or Soap Opera. Something with a story.

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Flaming Torch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.