Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I’m so used to Floyd threads discussing Dark Side of the Moon that each time I see someone write DSOT I keep thinking you’re missing the ‘M’ off!! It stops me for a split second each time I see it before remembering and going ‘aaah’

2. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

They never performed that song in 1994. It wasn't performed live until Gilmours On An Island tour in 2006.
    But I would love to hear Pro Recordings of On The Turning Away, One Slip, Lost For Words, Poles Apart and Marooned and I'd love to see pro-shot footage of Astronomy Domine and Hey You among other songs not included on the PULSE DVD.
    I guess there's a lot that was shot on the tour and not released.
    If they indeed have test video of October 19 they could include video of Lost For Words as well, to me a very underrated song!

And I'm very keen on the idea of releasing PULSE on SD-Blu-ray with Lossless audio and non-compressed video.

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I saw a documentary from the Pulse tour where they were rehearsing it, and saying something to the effect that “we are adding this tonight”. Can’t remember exactly the words, haven’t seen it since it was aired.

4. floydfan2410

It's the first time I've ever heard about that. Would be interresting to see it.
    Maybe they rehearsed it but they never performed it in front of an audience AFAIK

Kim Olesen likes this.
  5. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

PULSE will not benefit from BluRay. It was shot in non HD Video, not Film, meaning it will never get any better than it is on the DVD, I doubt that the Audio would be much better either. David Gilmour has stated that he regrets shooting PULSE on Video vs Film but whats done is done. The DVD is probably the best presentation we will see.

What would be nice is to have a HD Restoration of Delicate Sound, it was shot on film and would make for a nice BluRay, but Gilmour has no love for Delicate Sound.

RangerXT, amonjamesduul and jonnyslb like this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

There can be minor improvements on SD-Blu-ray releases. If a scene is pretty fast moving the picture looks (sometimes very) pixelated on DVDs. That's picture compression.
    And because of limited data space on DVDs lossless audio can't be placed there. Wouldn't it be great to get the Pulse concert(s) in 96/24 or even higher?

7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Let's hope a Pulse blu-ray is released and we can all judge for ourselves.

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I agree. The original image is quite compressed and has a lot of digital artifacts on the DVD release. Definitely room for improvement if PULSE gets remastered for Blu-ray.

9. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I believe the PULSE DVD gives you a choice of the Standard 448 kbps Bit Rate Audio and the higher 640 kbps Bit Rate at 24/48K, I do not think a change of format will improve this very much.

Once again the gains would be minimal not revolutionary, probably not worth the time and money spent to do it. The money would be better spent doing a restoration and HD Transfer of Delicate Sound, it has the most to gain in sound and video presentation.

10. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

You assume that the DVD is the cause, the artifacts are probably a result of the original video elements as the technology when this was shot on video was far less than today. If the artifacts are indeed on the original source than a transfer to Blu-Ray will not fix it either. The BluRay Format was just around the corner when this was released on DVD, but Gilmour stated that they could not improve it much more than the what is presented on the DVD because of the limitations of the source material. They spent considerable time preparing this for the DVD release. If they thought BluRay would have helped I think we would have seen it already.

11. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Im sure we will get pulse and dsot on blu ray through this boxset

RangerXT, jlf, rontoon and 1 other person like this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

You assume the opposite, that the digital artifacts are inherent in the original source and you're also taking the word of Gilmour back at the time that Blu-ray was just getting started. You're wrong in your assumptions. PULSE was shot on video and the masters are on tape. The digital artifacts were caused by DVD compression and aren't apparent on the VHS or Laserdisc releases. While the image will always be SD, on Blu-ray there should be considerably less compression with a clean digital transfer at the highest bitrate possible. It will never be perfect and the "whites" will always be blown out, but the image should be less compressed and cleaner.
    Seems logical since both releases officially represented each tour.

13. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

That is a little disappointing. It would have been nice to have a complete run of material. I guess that they could fill in with a Middle Years set later but that has probably been partially covered with the Immersion sets. I suspect though there will be some missing material from the middle era that would have been nice and I'm guessing would have had a larger audience. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. Presumably some of this may be internal politics.

Oh well.

14. floydfan2410

I certainly hope so. Also the whole concert could probably fit on one Blu-ray disc as opposed to two DVD's and I'm sure a lossless hi-res soundtrack would sound better.

RangerXT, coffeetime and andrewskyDE like this.
  15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yes. Pulse on blu-ray: if they don't take the lazy route, it would be an improvement.

I'll say it again: those Queen SD blu-rays look fantastic.

RangerXT, rontoon and andrewskyDE like this.
  16. Philrock90

I get the stones sd blu rays too and for sd footage they look so clear

17. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I am not taking the word of Gilmour. The Pulse DVD was scheduled for release in 2005 but was held back until July 2006. BluRay was officially released on June 20, 2006 and had been in development since 2000.

The reason you did not see the artifacts in VHS were the fact VHS was very low resolution 240 vs 480 for DVD, the DVD just brought out the detail of the source material much better. What ever resolution the Video was shot in is etched in stone on those master tapes, unlike film. You can not get Blood from a Rock. Today's displays are also more revealing, the artifacts will be much more noticeable on today's displays vs what you watched it on 20 years ago. There is no way to get any more resolution from Video. You can put it in a HD 1080 container for playback, but the image will be what ever the original resolution was at the time it was recorded, unlike film. Had this been shot on film a 4K scan of the film would have been possible. Delicate sound on the other hand was shot on film, and as long as Floyd still has all the original film elements, it could be restored and a HD 1080 transfer or 4K transfer could be made for it along with a new mastering of the sound.

Don't get me wrong, I love PULSE as much as the next guy, but I do not see much potential for improvement for PULSE as I do for Delicate Sound. Dave made a mistake choosing video instead of film to shoot PULSE and has admitted it will ever be much better than it is. I doubt that they will spend unlimited amounts of money to create this box set as it will be selling to a somewhat niche market, so what they do spend should go to what will benefit the most. Delicate Sound has the most to gain, as we have never seen it in anything beyond the 240 VHS. There are DVD's floating around of it but they are just crappy VHS Transfers. To see Delicate Sound restored and in HD would be a real eye opener.

TheKevster likes this.
  18. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Were these shot on Video or Film ?, you have to compare apples to apples, if they were shot on film, they will be better.

rontoon likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Just compare a video sourced concert on DVD and the same content on a (SD)Blu-ray (Queen is a good example). And you will see there's quality improvement on the latter.

RangerXT, coffeetime and Philrock90 like this.
  20. Philrock90

I'd imagine shot on video most of them but blu ray holds more upto 50gb dvd holds 8.5gb the most so its more limited even sd on blu ray is clearer due to more disc space ofcourse you will never get full hd from sd but it would be just nice to have the full concert on 1 disc

RangerXT and andrewskyDE like this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I know digital compression and artifacts when I see them and I know what I'm talking about. Believe what you want, facts are facts.

22. Philrock90

As said compare a sd dvd to the same on blu ray and the blu ray is more clear i done this via comparing queen at the rainbow dvd to the sd blu ray plus you get uncompressed audio on some blu rays

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. Philrock90

Anyway were here for the contents more than anything and i hope we get this at the end of the year as its something great to look forward to i really enjoy the post waters stuff

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I like the artwork of the p.u.l.s.e DVD set a lot. Hope they'll re-use it or a similar design somewhere inside the coming box set.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I believe there will never be a Night and Day Improvement with PULSE, just minor improvements at best, and I believe Delicate Sound has the potential to be a huge Improvement to something we have never seen yet. PULSE will never reap the full benefits of BluRay where Delicate Sound has the potential to do so.

PhoffiFozz, Runicen, RangerXT and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.