Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Apr 2 1964

Kissin' Cousins - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Kissin' Cousins 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Smokey Mountain Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 There's Gold In The Mountains Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 One Boy, Two Little Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Catchin' On Fast Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Tender Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Anyone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Barefoot Ballad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Once Is Enough Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Kissin Cousins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Echoes Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 28 1964
    What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 1964
    Viva Las Vegas
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Yellow Rose Of Texas/Eyes Of Texas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 The Lady Loves Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 C'mon everybody Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Today Tomorrow And Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 The Climb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 If You Think I Don't Need You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 I Need Somebody To Lean On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Nightlife Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Do The Vega Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 You're The Boss Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jul 14 1964
    Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Never Ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 20 1964
    Roustabout
    track 1 Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Little Egypt Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Poison Ivy League Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Track 4 Hard Knocks Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 It's A Wonderful World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Big Love Big Heartache Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 One Track Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 It's Carnival Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Carny town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 There's A Brand New Day On The Horizon Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Wheels On My Heels Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

I'm A Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sep 22 1964
    Aint That Loving you Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Ask Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 3 1964
    Blue Christmas/Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 9 1965
    Do The Clam/You'll Be Gone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 2 1965
    Girl happy
    track 1 Girl Happy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Spring Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Startin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Wolf Call Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Do Not Disturb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Cross My Heart And Hope to Die Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 The Meanest Girl In town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Do The Clam Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Puppet On A String Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I've Got To Find My Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 You'll Be Gone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1965
    Crying In The Chapel/Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 8 1965
    Easy Question/ It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 15 1965
    Tickle Me EP

Aug 10 1965
    Elvis For Everyone
    track 1 Your Cheating Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Finder Keepers Losers Weepers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 In My Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Tomorrow Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Memphis Tennessee Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 For The Millionth and the Last Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Forget Me Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Sound Advice Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Met Her Today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 When it Rains It Really Pours Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    complete original LP version Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 10 1965
    I'm Yours/ Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 26 1965
    Puppet On A String/ Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1965

Blue Christmas/ Santa Claus Is Back In Town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 3 1965
    Harum Scarum
    track 1 Harum Holiday Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Desert Serenade Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Go East young Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Mirage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Kismet Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Shake That tambourine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Hey Little Girl Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Golden Coins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 So Close Yet So Far Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Animal Instinct Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Wisdom Of The Ages Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Dec 14 1965
    Tell Me Why Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Blue River Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 15 1966
    Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho/ Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Milky White Way/ Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1 1966
    Frankie And Johnny/Please Don't Stop Loving Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1 1966
    Frankie And Johnny
    track 1 Frankie And Johnny Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Come Along Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Petunia The Gardener's Daughter Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Chesay Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 What Every Woman Lives For Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Lookout Broadway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Beginner's Luck Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Down By The Riverside/ When The Saints Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Shout It Out Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Hard Luck Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Please Don't Stop Loving Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Come Aboard Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 8 1966
    Love Letters Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Come What May Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 10 1966
    Paradise Hawaiian Style
    track 1 Paradise Hawaiian Style Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Queenie Wahine's Papaya Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Scratch My Back Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Drums Of The Islands Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Datin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Dog's Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 House Of Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Stop Where you Are Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 This Is My Heaven Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Sand Castles Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sept 13 1966
    Spinout/All That I Am Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1966
    Spinout
    track 1 Stop Look And Listen Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Adam And Evil Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 All That I Am Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Never Say Yes Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Am I Ready Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Beach Shack Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Spinout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Smorgasbord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 I'll Be Back Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Tomorrow Is A Long Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Down In The Alley Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 I'll Remember You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Don't Think Twice It's Alright Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Blowin In The Wind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 15 1966
    If Every Day was Like Christmas/How Would You Like To Be - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 10 1967
    Indescribably Blue/Fools Fall In Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 1967
    How Great Thou Art
    track 1 How Great Thou Art Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 In The Garden Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Somebody Bigger Than You And I Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Farther Along Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Stand By Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Without Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 So High Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Where Could I Go But To The Lord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 By and By Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 If The Lord Wasn't Walking By My Side Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Run On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Where No One Stands Alone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 Crying In The Chapel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1967
    Easy Come, Easy Go
    track 1 Easy Come, Easy Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Love Machine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Yoga Is As Yoga Does Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 You Gotta Stop Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Sing You Children Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'll Take Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 28 1967
    Long Legged Girl With The Short Dress On/That's Someone You'll never Forget Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 1 1967
    Double Trouble
    track 1 Double Trouble Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Baby If You'll Give Me All Of Your Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    - take 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    - demo Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Could I Fall In Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Long Legged Girl Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 City By Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Old Macdonald Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 I Love Only One Girl Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 There's So Much World To See Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 It Won't Be Long Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Never Ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Blue River Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 What Now, what Next, Where To Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 8 1967
    There's Always Me /Judy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sep 26 1967
    Big Boss Man/ You Don't Know Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

2. mark winstanley

3. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

The Clambake album was the tale of two albums!

Love the Guitar Man sessions and agree with PepiJean; "it was the real beginning of Elvis return: again, after several years, you could feel the energy and Presley was sounding "mean"."

Although Radio Stations were still playing singles as their primary format, many were playing songs from albums as well. If we didn't have "Big Boss Man" released as a single before the album, doubt I could've gotten any DJ to play "Guitar Man" before it was released in late January of '68.

4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Guitar Man, one of the best Elvis album openers of all time. (Matched by Santa Claus Is Back In Town, Promised Land, Trouble/Guitar Man, Blue Suede Shoes and Wearin' That Loved On Look)

Iceman08, Dave112, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  5. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Agree Guitar Man was a great opener, but what a plummet with Clambake being the second song and ending Side 1 with Hey, Hey, Hey.

6. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Unfortunately, with the publishing mess Reed went through, his return working with Elvis wasn't what it could've been. Don't get me wrong, they recorded some great songs, "Too Much Monkey Business" - "U.S. Male", but the excitement of having Reed at the sessions was short lived. Another example, how Parker's way extinguished creativity than boosting it.

7. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

To me, Elvis sounds way too apathetic on the title song. His "alllll right" in the middle is a prime example of false enthusiasm. Outtakes from these sessions show him sounding very distracted and gives the feeling he'd rather be anywhere but in the recording studio

Dodoz and mark winstanley like this.
  8. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Yeah, the Guitar Man story never made sense to me (they managed to record a few failed attempts at the song, try to match the guitar tone on the original record, realize that they wanted Jerry Reed himself, called him up, sent someone out to pick him up from his fishing trip, got him back to the studio, and successfully re-recorded the song...all within a few hours?), but either way, it's a solid little number. The Comeback Special version is a far more powerful and intense performance, imo, but the studio version is enjoyable in its own right. I'm not a fan of opening the Clambake album with it, though. I prefer the soundtrack songs to come first, grouping all of the "bonus" cuts at the end.

Shortnin' Bread has been a favourite of mine for literally as long as I can remember. I had it on a cassette when I was two or three, and I played it until the tape snapped. My folks had to buy me a new one...and of course, I played it until that one broke too. Anyway, that's a long way of saying that I have a soft spot for the song, and so I really like Clambake. It's easily my favourite song from the movie (unless you cheat and count the studio version of You Don't Know Me), Elvis' lackluster vocal notwithstanding. I don't even mind the lyrics; Clambake is supposed to be a silly party song, and in that context, it works quite well.

That having been said, The Cramps' psychotic take on Shortnin' Bread has to be my favourite version of the song:

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  9. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

in the publicity-shoot sessions as well...

[​IMG]

10. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

That was Mr. Manager favorite hobby: to destroy every bit of those artistic collaborations. He did the same with Leiber & Stoller ten years before.
    Elvis should have cared and sent the old man to focus in the business part and not to meddle in the musical aspects.

Iceman08, Revelator, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

However Guitar Man happened, it is the turning point on the way to the ‘68 Comeback. Obviously the song was prominently featured on the TV special, but the remake for TV doesn’t touch the original with Reed on guitar. Even if there’s some dispute and romanticizing of how Reed ended up on the session, Guitar Man recaptures that magic “hold on fellas, back up and play that again” spontaneity that Sam Phillips recognizes when Elvis, Scotty, and Bill hit on “That’s All Right Mama” a dozen years earlier. As good as any song Elvis ever cut, in my opinion.

12. mark winstanley

Should have booted his shady but out completely

Iceman08, RSteven and EPA4368 like this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This is really the overriding point here. Elvis is finding his way back home, so to speak, and even though some might point out the fact that these were not big hits on the radio, Elvis was indeed getting back in touch with his country and rock 'n' roll roots. It was indeed a turning point for Elvis in so many ways. Elvis was also getting back in touch with his country music DNA, which as Mark so well pointed out in his previous post, would steer Elvis throughout the 70's for better or worse, and I'm happy to say mostly for the better. This was a natural evolution with Elvis, returning to the music that he grew up with and the one that he threatened to blow right off the map. Ironically, much again like Charlie Rich, Elvis could sing country music in his sleep, but never with any false country vocal intonations or posturing. He and Rich sang it well, because they both respected it, and they had grown up listening to it throughout their young lives.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  14. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Do you mean like about 99.9999999999999999999999% of the crap you hear on mainstream country radio and TV in the last 20 years or so? I am an "alt-country" fan myself. But the stuff that passes for country these days, well let's just say I think I would rather listen to rap or the "hair" band's of the 80s or heavy metal!! (I just listed the major music genres I hate).

Iceman08, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  15. Guitar Man is one of my favorite Elvis tracks. That they got Jerry Reed (one of my favorite pickers) to play on it is icing on the cake. It does always throw me that this is the opening track on Clambake - it's almost if everyone is throwing in the towel admitting defeat by having a 'bonus' song as the album opener. That said, I don't have a problem with the title song - it's catchy and isn't any worse than the other movie title tracks from the previous couple of years. To be honest, there's only two songs on this album I don't like, but we'll cover those when we get to them.

16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Exactly. I am so frustrated with country music these days, particularly these last five to ten years. I mean, I always kept up with the genre as much as possible, but to me it reached its peak in the late 60's and 70's. What passes for country nowadays is really just a lot of good looking guys and gals in jeans that talk-sing their way though songs about trucks and drinking beer. I am not saying their are not any talented country singers out there as I like an occasional Blake Shelton song (His new single God's Country is pretty good to my ears), but they have moved so far away from the great singers and stellar organic musicianship that use to be a staple of their great genre that one can hardly recognize it as country music anymore.

17. And don't forget the over-affected accents. I've traveled extensively throughout - and lived in - the south and never heard anyone speak the way a lot of the 'stars' sing.

18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I agree with you on this point as well. What a great list of stellar album openers. Wearing' That Loved On Look is surely one of the greatest songs Elvis ever recorded that a lot of people have probably never even heard before.

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. Shhh - you and Skatterbrane are gonna give Sony BMG a new idea for their next Elvis release (in their seemingly endless run of Elvis compilations) - Elvis Opening Tracks!

PepiJean, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Very true. My parents and two of my siblings were all born or raised in Oklahoma, and none of them sing or talk the way some of these singers do. My favorite is when I see a wanna be country singer on American Idol or The Voice that was not even born in a southern state, and they sing like they have marbles in their mouths. Good grief!

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  21. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

In US (BB) peaking at 38 "Big Boss Man", 43 "Guitar Man" and 28 "U.S. Male", many have pointed out these were not big hits, but regardless, many were taking notice of Elvis, something was happening, and in a good way.

The momentum from "Big Boss Man" and "Guitar Man" helped "U.S. Male" in both, airplay and in sales. I was surprised, it didn't do better only peaking at 28, because in my hometown, DJs were playing it constantly and so were the Records Shops as well.

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I don’t want to sidetrack this into the tedious “modern country music is awful” debate, but Loretta Lynn rhymed “tired” with “hard” in “Coal Miner’s Daughter” (“The work we done was hard / At night we’d sleep ‘cause we were tired”), and people really do drawl down here. That’s not to say that some country musicians don’t lay it on thick, but that’s been going on forever - Buck Owens certainly springs to mind in that regard.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yes, management's publishing restrictions almost torpedoed the Elvis/Reed collaborative sessions, but really, what did one really think was going to come from such a session? It is not as if they were going to make a co-headlining album, nor would Parker have allowed Reed to receive too much press from his contributions. If Reed was content playing on a ten song album with simply guitar and writing credits, yes, there obviously would have been an advantage, but it is hard to say where the entire collaboration would have gone.

With respect to "Guitar Man," it is a lively single with Elvis finding his form (I also think it was wise to edit out the "What I'd Say" coda). I don't think it comes close to the intensity and greatness of the 1968 Burbank arrangement, but nevertheless it was an important recording during a period where Elvis was again showing signs of life as a creative recording artist. Sadly, no one close to Elvis, particularly management, RCA, or Felton Jarvis, thought to take the non-soundtrack recording work and focus on completing a commercial album.

Iceman08, PepiJean, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

After the long slow decline of the quality of the 60s movies and their soundtracks, it’s not surprising that Elvis couldn’t simply flip a switch and have Guitar Man go to #1. Also, the fall of 1967 was the height of psychedelia: Elvis’s return to his country roots was competing against “I Am The Walrus,” “Sunshine Of Your Love,” etc. Elvis was also slightly ahead of the curve in the back to roots movement - I think “Guitar Man” came out a month or two before Dylan took his music in a similar direction on John Wesley Harding.

mark winstanley, RSteven and EPA4368 like this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If they hadn't edited it out they would have had to pay royalties to Ray Charles for the record too. Since they were already paying Jerry Reed more than they wanted (since he refused to cut them in on publishing) there was no way they were going to do that.

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.