Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think there has been a thread to discuss each of The Monkees songs individually so though I would start this thread. The idea would be to discuss and rate every studio track (no live recordings or basic demos) each day.

Each song would be discussed only once in all forms. For example, only one day to talk about all of the various versions of songs like I Wanna Be Free (the only exception being Circle Sky which appears on two studio albums).

People are free to post a rating for each song out of 5.

2. Turk Thrust

The Monkees

(Theme from) The Monkees
    Saturday's Child
    I Wanna Be Free
    Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day
    Papa Gene's Blues
    Take a Giant Step
    Last Train to Clarksville
    This Just Doesn't Seem to Be My Day
    Let's Dance On
    I'll Be True To You
    Sweet Young Thing
    Gonna Buy Me a Dog

Non-album tracks

All the King's Horses
    I Don't Think You Know Me
    So Goes Love
    Of You
    (I Prithee) Do Not Ask For Love

3. Turk Thrust

Today's song is (Theme from) The Monkees:

I rate this song, in any version, 4/5.

Obviously it has been heard far too often, but it has stood the test of time pretty well and Micky had a very strong pop voice from the beginning.

Boyce and Hart also immediately proved themselves suitable writers and producers as their tracks are almost all very commercial and suited the times perfectly.

4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

This song is a nice opener for the show but one I never listen outside of that. Probably my least favorite of the Monkees canon.

5. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I used to think it was great, but once I watched the show I couldn’t see it as anything but the opener music. It still kicks off any configuration of The Monkees I’ve ever made though. What else from those sessions fits?

6. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

As a TV theme song, it is a very good to great one. As an expanded album opener, it is merely ok. My wife uses this song as her case to say that all Monkees songs are garbage. She refuses to understand that there are many different types of Monkees songs that she might actually enjoy. A pity, but that is her problem, not mine.
    So. as a TV Theme song:4.5/5
    As a album cut: 2.5/5

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Tv theme: iconic but not exactly a regular on my mix tapes. 3/5

8. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Catchy TV theme song but only fairly decent as a stand alone song, as has been mentioned above.
    A 3/5 from me.

9. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I wonder if the theme has ever been performed live. I know they've sang it jokingly, but have they ever done an actual live version of it?

JonnyKidd likes this.
  10. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I agree with what seems to be the general view here. A terrific theme for the show, but kind of loses its way on record. Great Dolenz vocal, though.

11. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

TV version is a fantastic 5/5. The album version is fun, but not as exciting.

Album version gets a 3/5 from me.

12. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Only one day to discuss a certain song? Good luck holding people to that.

Anyhow... “Theme From”: Groovy little piece of mid-60s garage pop/rock. Even if it’s not really “garage” at all and played by slick studio pros. It sounds like it could be from a young garage band though.

On its own, it’s a fairly meaningless song apart from the “group” introducing themselves. But again, a good little rocker.

Did they really have “... something to say”? Well, eventually they would. Not yet. At least nothing Donny the K. wanted to let them say.

As the theme to the TV show, obviously it works. Who doesn’t know it? Even today, mention The Monkees in conversation with the average person and, for better or worse, you’re likely to get “Hey, Hey We’re The Monkees” sung back to you.

Not as good a song as some others on the debut, but definitely better than a few (YMMV). Maybe 3 or 3.5/5?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    JonnyKidd, mds, marmalade and 3 others like this.
  13. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Dolenz Jones Boyce Hart did it live-- and once Peter joined them on bass.

14. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Incidentally, I heard an oldies station in South Carolina (90.3 WRBK) play this just last week.

I give the album version a 2/5.
    The tv version 4/5.

No one should have to listen to this song more than one minute.

15. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I would say 3/5. It's certainly a catchy classic, and it's the first song many think of when the Monkees are mentioned thanks to the tv show. However, it works better as a tv show theme song than a full-fledged song.

JonnyKidd, Guy Smiley and Turk Thrust like this.
  16. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

3/5. Okay song, nothin' more.

JonnyKidd and Turk Thrust like this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

4/5
    Dave Clark Five vibe with an exciting guitar solo.

Jimmy B., JonnyKidd, mooseman and 6 others like this.
  18. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

They play it semi-regularly on Underground Garage (Sirius XM).

19. Guy Smiley

I so relate to this. I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but my wife is a Neil Diamond fanatic, big Carole King fan too, but she still dismisses The Monkees.

Hell, she only begrudgingly gives The Beatles their due (Although she likes some of their very best songs) so maybe it’s not so surprising. She doesn’t give me crap for it, but still. Apart from maybe “I’m a Believer” and “Pleasant Valley Sunday,” because of who wrote them, she refuses to give them any credit.

I have played Good Times! in the car though, and even she had to admit it was “pretty good.” Begrudingly, again.

Curious if this post will extend to the latter-day albums? I think I will have to step aside for the 80s/90s stuff, but I will return for Good Times! for sure.

20. mrbobdobalina

My sentiments exactly.

JonnyKidd and Guy Smiley like this.
  21. Guy Smiley

Indeed, The Monkees get good play on that channel. As I type this, I just heard (listening On Demand) my man Chris Carter play “Stepping Stone” on his British Invasion show.

Despite being 3/4 American, he plays The Monkees on there pretty regularly. Last week’s show he played “Can You Dig It” and later a song from Davy’s 1965 Colpix solo album.

I’ve also heard “You and I” twice, “Clarksville,” “Words,” “For Pete’s Sake,” and “Do I Have To Do This All Over Again?” all on his show just this year alone.

Chris also likes to throw in sound clips from HEAD on his shows. “Supernatural baloney,” “Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor,” and several more.

22. mrbobdobalina

Yes, I believe he often plays them as a part of his "bands that wish they were British" segment.

JonnyKidd and Guy Smiley like this.
  23. Guy Smiley

Yep. Sometimes, he just plays them just because. No particular theme. This weekend’s show was all songs released as singles (70th anniversary of the 45 RPM). He referred to “Stepping Stone” as one side of one his favorite singles of all time. Love that he doesn’t hide his love for the Pre-Fabs.

Of course, when Peter passed he devoted several songs to him in tribute. Same on his Breakfast With The Beatles show.

24. Turk Thrust

It has worked well for some other bands. Obviously people are free to go back and rate songs if they miss them though.

If there is the interest, I will do the entire catalogue.

I thought it was interesting that in Davy's audio commentary for the Daydream Believers DVD he blamed Peter for this and said Peter hated it so much that he refused to play it. But when Micky and Davy went out as a duo they didn't play it either! :)

25. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Very interesting indeed. Also interesting is that Davy did a commentary for Daydream Believers. I had no idea!

JonnyKidd likes this.