Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I remember getting this album as a kid and being disappointed that "(Theme From) The Monkees" wasn't the version that opened the TV show. In fact, the last verse of the TV version is even left off the LP version, as is the cold ending.

They should have figured out a way do this better. Maybe they could have opened the album with the short theme and closed with the longer version. Maybe they could have put the TV version out as a B-Side. It wasn't until decades later that you could actually buy the TV version on disc.

I didn't rate this because I don't like giving ratings to songs. What I like varies according to my mood. However, the 4-year-old version of me rated the TV version a 5/5.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  2. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Monkees' theme fits well for a TV show intro, but like the others here, not so much as the longer version. Very catchy and easy to remember the song. And yes, it is a song I am somewhat tired of hearing, so I never go to just listen to it.

3. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I remember reading an interview with Peter during the late 70's or early 80's with one of his post-monkees groups. He said something along the lines of "we play all the hits! Except the Theme Song. Everything I disliked about the Monkees project is wrapped up in that song." I"m paraphrasing here but that was the gist of it.

4. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Don’t really understand that level of animosity towards the song. I mean, it’s certianly nothing deep or terribly meaningful, but I maintain it’s a decent little rocker. I’ll still take it over several other songs we’ll get to in the days ahead. Or any of the “Davy songs” from the first two albums (and most of the later ones) honestly.

5. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

5/5 for the TV version - it's annoying and I'm sure nobody would necessarily mind never hearing it again but it really does rock.

3.5/5 for the album version - I really like the guitar interplay during the instrumental break, which keeps things interesting and differentiates it from the TV version.

6. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for (Theme from) The Monkees (taking the most positive ratings):

1-0
    2-0
    3-5
    4-4
    5-2

JonnyKidd and The MEZ like this.
  7. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's song is Saturday's Child:

It's interesting to think what would have happened had this been released as the first single...

It's an enjoyable enough pop song, but I don't like this as much as some seem to. The combination of the backing track and the vocals sounds a little cluttered to my ears and I think it was no loss that it was only issued as an album track.

A fun track though and another nice vocal from Micky. 3/5

Jimmy B., JonnyKidd, minkahed and 7 others like this.
  8. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Monday's child is fair of face
    But still he runs from David Gates

Wednesday's child is full of woe
    When he hears Bread he cries "Oh no!"

Saturday's Child is an average song
    They mixed the background vocals wrong

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Saturdays Child - I've always liked this one. Maybe an over-generous 4/5

10. 905

905 Senior Member

4/5
    I've always been fond of this one. And it's got a memorable romp.

11. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

4/5 - love the garage rock vibe and the chorus. One of the highlights of the album, for sure.

12. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

To me, "Saturday's Child" is one of the best songs on the album. It's right up there with "Papa Gene's Blues", "Sweet Young Thing", and "Clarksville". 5/5.

13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

One of the real Gems of the Debut album
    4.5/5

14. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Saturday's Child

A 4/5 for me. Catchy song. Love the twists in the lyrics.

15. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

4/5 for Saturday's Child. It's one of the few songs where the chorus is the weakest part of the song (due to the background vocals.) Great riff, though! It's a highlight from the debut album.

JonnyKidd, The MEZ, marmalade and 3 others like this.
  16. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

3/5

The MEZ and Turk Thrust like this.
  17. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

A nice song. It always seems to be the start of the album proper to me. I'd give it a 3.5/5. The vocals are a bit scrunched up, and that brings it down a .5 for me.

Turk Thrust likes this.
  18. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Going with the chorus on this one... Fun little garage pop-rock number that’s probably better than anything else David Gates ever wrote.

Nothing earth-shattering, but decent and fun. I agree that the production on this one is lousy, and the backing vocals are a mess. Sadly, these sorts of issues would plague far too many Monkees recordings. Especially (But not entirely) the early recordings.

Tom Petty played this record on his “Buried Treasure” SiriusXM show. I think he may have played it againwhen he interviewed Micky for a different Sirius XM show (“Tom Talks To Cool People”) back in 2016. He was a big fan, and a good friend of Micky’s.

I’ll give it a 3 or 3.5/5.

19. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Saturday’s Child is a fun rocker. I loved that Micky and Peter did it on the 50th anniversary tour.

4/5.

20. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

3/5 for me.

Turk Thrust likes this.
  21. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Saturday's Child" is a really good song as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not one of my favorites on the album but still I like it a lot. 4/5 for me.

Jimmy B., The MEZ and Turk Thrust like this.
  22. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I've always been mystified as to why the mix was so poor on Saturday's Child. The only other production choice more perplexing on the debut album is the lack of a bass guitar on Let's Dance On. All of the other songs are pretty crystalline, sonically. The song itself is enjoyable.

23. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Theme Song - 3/5
    Saturday's Child - 4/5

The MEZ, Drifter and Turk Thrust like this.
  24. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

"Saturday’s Child" is a great tune, I've always liked it, long ago and currently. I do enjoy this song quite a bit and it worked well as a music for a romp in the TV show. 4/5

JonnyKidd, minkahed, The MEZ and 3 others like this.