Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I absolutely love this idea!!

NunoBento and bettsaj like this.
  2. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Then why present the 94 tour soundscape on the PULSE cassette??.... If they were commissioned by the band they are owned by the band, therefore should be included regardless who created them.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

SOLD!

4. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Completists who shelled 200$+ for the bedford van will gasp when the 49 semi-trucks set will go on sale for this one :D

RangerXT, Sigma6, andrewskyDE and 4 others like this.
  5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The synths and keyboards from Cluster One make an appearance during the track:

Dave or Nick or Rick might not have been out there recording the guy mowing the grass, of course, but it's safe to say it's a Floyd creation. It was apparently played prior to concerts in the PULSE tour.

St. Troy, enro99, RangerXT and 3 others like this.
  6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

And it was officially released as a Pulse track.

7. bettsaj

One thing that does stand out in my memory of the 87 soundscape is around 10 mins from the end the "ping" from the beginning of Echoes started fading in... You heard it every few minutes or so, and I distinctly remember thinking it was building up to Echoes starting.... Obviously we know the original intention was to open with Echoes, but they changed it very quickly at the start of the tour after only performing it 4 times to Shine On, however by that time the soundscape with the "ping" noise had already been created so they just ran with it.

Kalli, ries and floydfan2410 like this.
  8. floydfan2410

I think it might be mainly Nicks work as he love to put together sound collages and did some of the sound effects on Momentary Lapse and Division Bell if I'm not mistaken. So it might be credited to Nick maybe with input from Dave and Rick.
    He might even have recorded the sound of the actual lawnmower noise.
    I could be wrong though.

St. Troy, Simon A, RangerXT and 3 others like this.
  9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised. I believe Nick also did some field recordings for The Wall.

10. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

It was a bit more than 4 - wikipedia says 11.

Those early AMLOR shows were magic. I was at the 2nd Montreal show, the 3rd show of the tour and the energy in the building was like nothing I've seen for a concert before or since. It was also the only true encore I've ever experienced. When the house lights came on there was a cascade of boos which turned into a roar and then 15 minutes of bedlam - the ushers were trying to remove people but nobody would leave. Finally the lights went back off and they came back on to do a practically unrehearsed Shine On. This was at an arena show mind you with 15,000+ people, not a club or a bar; it was an incredible experience. It was the lead story in the big Pink Floyd "come-back" article in Rolling Stone magazine.

11. bettsaj

looks like Wikipedia is correct for change... Looks like the did Echoes for the first 4 US shows then changed to Shine on for the remainder.... When they got to Canada they started playing Echoes again.

12. NunoBento

Wow, what an awesome story. Montreal does seem to have a visceral / animal chemistry with the Floyd.

enro99 and drapes like this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I got to see the last performance of Echoes in Chicago.

Also, just heard that Roger will be playing all the bass parts for the new AMLOR remix! Happy AFD!

14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Wouldn't that be cool, though?

Then years later we'd find out it was Gilmour who played the new bass parts anyway.

St. Troy, enro99, RangerXT and 4 others like this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

In that case both soundscapes should be on one dedicated CD.

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Stop it! I'm still shocked what happened with our profiles here.^^

Luisboa, mestreech and rontoon like this.
  17. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Seems like a legit thing they would/should do for this one. Or it'll be some weird morphing of the Lapse beds and Division Bell heads.

Nah, I like your idea better!

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Or one of the DB heads laying in bed.

xXFloydianXx likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

And Nick is known for doing most of the sound effects for the band since the early years, so my guess is at least he was involved in the p.u.l.s.e Soundscape.

St. Troy and BeatleJWOL like this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Rick wasn't around for the early sessions so there was no one around to tune the bass.

St. Troy and Six Bachelors like this.
  21. I've seen this referred to here in passing a couple times now, but is this real?

Is it confirmed that there will be some sort of an AMLOR remix? If that was already mentioned here (sorry I missed it, can someone point me to it?), and what's the source on that?

Last I heard, that was all still wild speculation started several years ago, based on an offhand comment from Dave (or maybe it was Nick?).

Or has anything more sustanative been said?

I only know about the only barely half-serious (and 95% speculative) ideas of maybe flying in some of Rick's playing from some live multi-track recordings from that first tour in '87-'88.

The idea of reworking AMLOR is exciting to contemplate, but I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

Thanks!

22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

No hard info yet.

23. NunoBento

This idea was confirmed by David himself, but at the same time he also said that the project was abandoned later on.

24. floydfan2410

It's true. There were early plans to remix A Momentary Lapse of Reason to make it sound more modern. Nick have actually recorded new drum tracks and plans was to extract Ricks keyboards/synths from multitrack live recording.
    If they plan on finishing that mix for the box set is pure speculation. But I surely hope they will

RangerXT, andrewskyDE and NunoBento like this.
  25. bettsaj

Yep... I heard that Nick has already laid down acoustic drums on some of the tracks that have drum machines (Sorrow... for example) But they've yet to see the light of day. These were done years ago.

RangerXT, andrewskyDE and NunoBento like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.