The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My understanding is Rhino did not bother to check with them before announcing it. The band (not sure if it was just Peter Wolf or not) put out some sort of statement about the best tracks from the shows were selected for a reason and releasing it that way changes the entire album.

I'm not sure why as a compromise they couldn't just release the best version of each song in some approximation of the concert running order.

2. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 2

3. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Thank God!

Davmoco, ego1jr, DTK and 4 others like this.
  4. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

How far into the catalogue did you get?

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Quite obscure, but a few years back it was announced that DVDs were going to be released from ITV's UK TV music archive. They said there were full unedited shows including unbroadcast footage. The first announced batch included live Motorhead from the Lemmy - Philthy - Eddie era along with Buzzcocks & The Monochrome Set.

It didn't happen.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  6. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Eddie Van Halen mentioned he wanted to release some of the club shows and early demos BUT he tried and sound wasn`t right,lost the fly on the wall aspect,couldn`t locate demo tapes,couldn`t do it!ARRGH!!!!

Who could forget Jmi Page talking about releasing a live multitrack for the band`s 50th????!:waiting:

7. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

No one in this thread has made a crack about a new Tool album yet?

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

They just posted the first single today. :D

9. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Shame, that.
    I'd love to get Ricky Lee Jones on MFSL. The MFSL Pirates was what hooked me on RLJ to begin with!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  10. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

This. And they were not just rumors--SD actually wrote the head of Warners asking him why he didn't give the green light to Elliot Scheiner, who had almost all the multitrack masters for albums 1-6 and was ready to remix in surround.

The jerk didn't even bother to answer them. Yet another reason why I hate record company top brass.

11. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Why would they write the head of Warners? All pre-hiatus albums are owned by Universal.

Ed

jdw and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I'll echo the Bridge over Troubled Water Quad SACD posts, really disappointed when it became clear that one was DOA.

ponkine and Dennis Metz like this.
  13. anonsequitur

anonsequitur Forum Resident

14. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

With all due respect, I'm not sure you can use the word "just" when talking about getting Simon and Garfunkel to agree on something. :)

15. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

- The booklet for one of the Bomp Spacemen 3 albums (I think it was "Spacemen Are Go"?) mentioned a forthcoming 10" called "Forged Prescriptions" that seemingly was NOT what was later released as a 2CD by Space Age.

- I don't know if it was ever actually announced, but a second Taang volume of Spacemen 3 singles made it at least to the test press stage. Curtis had one in the Taang store when I was there in the early 2000s, and a copy later turned up on eBay (I recall that it was pulled before the auction finished). My memory is a little fuzzy on this one, but I want to say there was something unusual about it, like that it was a double 11" or something odd like that.

- Beck was supposedly putting together a concert video called "Computer Chips and Salsa" post-"Odelay" tour. YouTube has rendered this unnecessary, but I certainly would have enjoyed it at the time.

- One that I'd love to hear some day: The remix of "Race for the Prize" that Mercury Rev did with the Flaming Lips. Ivins and Kliph have both confirmed to me that it exists, and Kliph gave some vague description of it being "crazy" or something along those lines.

- The Idle Race box set never ended up coming out, did it?

- It was announced that they were working together, but, as far as I know, nothing ever turned up: the Ray Davies and Yo La Tengo record in the years preceding "Other People's Lives". (EDIT: According to this old RS article, they only recorded five songs together. Still, would like to hear them! Yo La Tengo Rock Hanukkah – Rolling Stone )

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  16. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

That's really irritating, because it hardly felt like they bent over backwards to promote those reissues ("OFITG" did get fairly heavy promotion on his website, but it felt like "Odelay" just kind of slipped out into the world) or, in the case of "Odelay," even do a particularly good job at assembling the thing. For the powers that be to then be disappointed by the sales and kill future releases is frustrating!

munjeet likes this.
  17. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

If I remember correctly, we put together multi-disc sets for McCartney through Flowers In The Dirt.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

18. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

Gamehendge CD-ROM

19. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

:bigeek:

Jayseph likes this.
  20. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

Which one did he do? I wasn't aware of him touching any of them.
    As for his interest in the catalog, bah humbug on him.

21. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Modern Lovers Live was supposed to be reissued with the *full shows* included, and when it hit shelves it was... just the songs from the original LP. No explanation since.

22. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I think that the two that I'm genuinely most sad about never appearing in their "intended state" would be:

The Who's Lifehouse (yeah, I know we're getting a graphic novel, but... y'know)
    Juliana Hatfield's God's Foot.

DTK likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

For all those people complaining about the non-release of Kate Bush's Before the Dawn DVD - she actually had a contract to write her autobiography called Leaving My Tracks. It got to an advanced enough stage to have a cover designed and an ISBN assigned...and then nothing.

[​IMG]

warewolf95, Beamish13 and BlueGangsta like this.
  24. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

There was also a Quad mix of Blue announced in a music magazine back in the 70's.

In the early 90's she worked with Consolidated and Sep on Drugs. The results weren't too great.

Then she did about 5 songs with Trickey in the late 90's. If you're into that kind of music, I'd say they made some good stuff.

[/QUOTE]

That's because Trevor Horn and his wife didn't treat them to nicely due to their sexuality (allegedly...).

SoundDoctor likes this.
  25. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Ah, brain fart. Yes, it was the head of Universal that refused to even answer them.

Nostaljack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.