Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Will we be overwhelmed

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes!
    Yes.
    I don't think so. No real big surprises. Everything from this era is pretty well known.

St. Troy, anth67, andrewskyDE and 6 others like this.
  3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Even the Pompeii mixes on TEY? :hide:

moodyxadi likes this.
  4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I dont have an issue with the 5.1 mix, just the harshness of the audio which can be attributed to the original source material. Never sounded good to begin with.

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It never sounded like THAT before, either. I agree it's not the fault of the choices Jackson made for 5.1, but the distortion on the transfer he used was not there on prior mixes. Sounds like whoever made the transfer to digital screwed it up

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  6. Six Bachelors

I do agree that the recording of Nick's drums seemed to go awry and there is some harsh distortion in them...but I reckon the remix itself is quite jarring and harsh. It could well be the mastering though.

I like every other Andy Jackson mix I have heard but Pompeii was a big disappointment to me...

I would welcome a stereo remix of it (and surround mix) but the idea of later overdubs doesn't appeal to me. Surely some of the '80s-ness can be tamed a little with a remix.

There is a moment or two of static on top of the distortion that is in the stereo and 5.1 mixes. I don't know if that means they're part of the transfer or if the stereo is just a fold but the static is really bad. I must try to remember where it occurs.

7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Not in the recording. Listen to the home video version that made the rounds for decades, do you hear harsh distortion on the drums?

The 'directors cut' DVD was NoNoised to excess but there's no sign of any distortion on that, either

8. Six Bachelors

Not as harsh as it sounds in the TEY mixes but I do actually hear an unpleasant phasey distortion in the original mix. I think it's there but the mix is much more forgiving. There is a biting sheen to the Pompeii mixes on TEY (and some of the other presentations - the 45 mixes and the OBC stereo remix come to mind) that is quite fatiguing.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Different phenomenon (possibly as a result of a poor Quad-to-Stereo fold down). I'm talking about the intense, intermittent distortion on Nick's drum kit... sounds to me like it was introduced at analogue-to-digital stage of transferring the multi-tracks

10. Six Bachelors

I guess we can agree that it doesn't sound very good to us in the TEY mixes, whatever the cause.

11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

And it's probably not Andy's fault!

12. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I really hope there will be a proper Blu-ray edition of Pompeii using the 2K scan of Maben's personal copy that was shown to a limited audience a few years ago! I hope they can restore the audio and present the ultimate version of the film and of course include that Chit Chat With Oysters as bonus!

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

IIRC, that's still the plan.

14. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

C'mon Rontoon, please tell us !!
    Or I'm coming to your house and torture you :yikes::goodie::D:D:D:D:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: with music from the Backstreet Boys.

15. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Andy has done a lot of great work for the Floyd. His masterpiece is I'd say the multichannel Division Bell. A true bliss.

He did drop the ball on TEY Pompeii though, which was a shame. (He, or someone else in process, but at the end of the day, he's the Sound Engineer, so it's his name that's in the project)

tedhead, Six Bachelors and rontoon like this.
  16. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Either way this us my most anticipated thing of the year i cant wait to get it i really love later years floyd some truly great stuff was released

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm pretty certain that the official Pompeii release will be a James Guthrie project.

18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

For a moment, I thought you meant Stevie Nicks....

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's Gilmour's prerogative and it's not like the original is going to disappear.

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

@Kim Olesen. FYI, the soundscapes for the PULSE tour are officially credited to Gilmour-Wright-Mason (according to Wiki Pulse (Pink Floyd album) - Wikipedia) and two different pre-show recordings were used. The main one, the longer one of the two, was the same one used on the previous tour (87-88) that James Guthrie created. There was also a much shorter one of spacey noises that led into Astronomy which was created by Andy Jackson.

andrewskyDE, Kalli, drum_cas and 7 others like this.
  21. It was credited as such on the 'Pulse' cassette.

rontoon likes this.
  22. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

So, things will be left out that should be included? Damn. Guess they're saving it for the ultra rarities box in 2025.

Anyway, I just want the AMLOR remix and DSOT Atlanta/NY films, some demos from AMLOR, TDB, and TER, and la carrera panamericana. Anything outside of this is just icing on the cake for me.

ALSO glad to here that Pompeii is still in the pipeline, I just hope the release isn't too far off from TLY and Animals SACD.

23. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Wow! We're months before an official announcement without a track listing in sight and already we're in the "general disappointment with what wasn't included" phase! Is that some kind of record? ;)

24. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

That's the usual procedure :D

25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I just to put my hands on the Venice concert plus, (please please please) a documentary telling the story of all the drama surrounding the concert. Extensive footage is available on YouTube to do this.

Six Bachelors, rontoon and coffeetime like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.