Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

On paper that makes a pretty good double album

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I used to have that German bonus songs LP. Other German LPs I had were Rare Elvis Vol 1-3, and '56 Sessions Vol 1-2. What fantastic LPs!

Iceman08, mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  3. SKATTERBRANE

You Don't Know Me is Elvis at his interpretive/expressive best. Probably the best performance on the entire LP. What a contrast to the movie version!

4. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

That's a nice tracklisting there! Personally, though, I'd have been a bit less pedantic about sequencing the songs to reflect their sequences on the original albums. For example, I think Animal Instinct would work much better as a side opener than Wisdom Of The Ages. Still, it looks like a fun listen. Off to compile a playlist now...

5. I have the Rare Elvis LPs (and Vol 1 on CD) - nice pressings, so I'm hopeful the pressing quality of the Bonus Songs LPs will be just as good.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. SKATTERBRANE

If I recall the pressings were fabulous.

Iceman08, mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Earlier on this thread I identified Such A Night as what I consider the single finest recorded Elvis performance ever. I would put You Don't KnowMe at #2. This is a great, classic song and there are many fantastic versions, but Elvis' is the best. The subtlety of emotion in his voice is deeply moving.

The contrast between the earlier Clambake version and the later Guitar Man version is also profound, and demonstrates what a difference enthusiasm and commitment could make for him. Both versions were recorded in the same studio with the exact same bands, just a few months apart. Yet the earlier version just sits there. It's okay, but nothing exceptional. Whereas on the later version he manages a performance for the ages.

8. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I can't agree more about the #1 spot for SUCH A NIGHT: it's in every way the greatest Elvis performance. The man is in full command, his voice both powerful and playful. And the song itself is the perfect blending of R&B, Pop and Rock. The creme of the creme. On the other hand, my second position would go to TROUBLE: what an amazing Bluesy performance.

Iceman08, Dave112, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  9. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Which one? The 1958 song or the one from 1975?

10. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

1958. Always. Only 23 and singing like a real bluesman.
    The 1968 version is pretty good too.

Iceman08, Dave112, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The 1975 song is "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" as opposed to "Trouble". You're supposed to say each letter as the title of the song.

12. wore to a frazzel

wore to a frazzel Forum Resident

I usually like his ballads and these two songs are no exceptions, even if he maybe uses a little too much vibrato in some places for my taste. I rank both songs slightly higher than Guitar Man.

13. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

True, but since it was written in all caps, I wasn't quite sure

artfromtex and mark winstanley like this.
  14. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That makes sense.

mark winstanley and Hooperfan like this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This is sheer country-pop perfection and to be quite honest, Elvis leaves Mr. Arnold's version of You Don't Know Me in the dust, despite the fact that Eddy wrote the song. As I think I said before, Elvis sings this gorgeous song like his very life is in the balance. I bought the 45 when I was as teenager as I don't think I even knew what album it came from back then.

DirkM, Revelator, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

You're right that Eddy had a hand in the song's creation, but he didn't write it. He came up with the title and the concept/storyline and pitched it to the great Cindy Walker, and she wrote the song:

One of the best things about this track is the subtlety of Elvis' performance. As we all know he was able to go bombastic and dramatic, and he could have gone for an "It Hurts Me" style arrangement more in that vein. Instead, he really underplays the drama, and it works incredibly well.

Dave112, RSteven, artfromtex and 3 others like this.
  17. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Elvis does give the definitive performance of "You Don't Know Me" on the soundtrack (not the movie). He delivers the essence of the song perfectly. The only other version that comes close is Ray Charles' version. I like both.

18. mark winstanley

How Can You Lose What You Never Had
    Written By :
    Ben Weisman & Sid Wayne

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, February 21-23, 1967: February 21 & 22, 1967. take 9

This track sounds somewhat like they were going for a contemporary sound, but essentially it is a fairly standard fifties style rock and roll song. It certainly isn't bad, but it isn't great either. A Fairly decent album track, with a somewhat modern type sound. To some degree the song sounds a little schizophrenic.

Tord likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

Big Boss Man
    Written By :
    Al Smith & Luther Dixon

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 10-12, 1967 : September 10, 1967. take 11

I really like the little intro we get on this song, and that slides into the song nicely. I like this song plenty, but I don't see it as anything astounding. To sme degree I think that due to the somewhat average nature of a lot of the songs and recordings around this time period we've been in, it sounds a lot better than a lot of them. Which isn't to criticise the song so much as to have a context for where this song sits for me. Good, Enjoyable, but not quite top flight Elvis quite yet.

Dave112 likes this.
  20. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Cool... I feel a playlist coming along!

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  21. I really like Big Boss Man. Listened to it and Guitar Man on the aforementioned Sings Hits From The Movies vol. 1 a crazy amount of times. I might mix the sax a bit more in the back (or substitute it with a different instrument), but that's about it. I also like How Can You Lose What You Never Had, nice swing and Elvis is at least trying on this one. In the clip Mark posted, is that Elvis off-mic at the 4 second mark? And I'm guessing the 'main' instrument sound is a guitar going through a Leslie speaker cabinet?

Tord, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

How Can You Lose, the best soundtrack song on the LP, recorded for but never used in the movie. Big Boss Man is just classic, plain and simple.

23. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Yep, BIG BOSS MAN is pure gold: Country Blues - the harmonica parts are superbe - plus Elvis' "mean" vocals. It's a real rock'n'roll recording, one of the first since I FEEL SO BAD.

Tord, EPA4368, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  24. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

How Can You Lose...is OK, but I can't remember much about it other than the chorus. I've probably heard the Collectors Gold take more than the Clambake one, as I tend to be more aggressive with the skip button when I listen to Clambake...

Big Boss Man is my favourite of the four Jerry Reed songs. The band gets a great groove going, Jerry's guitar sounds magical, and Elvis is just fantastic, injecting a bit of grit in all the right places. He never topped this version, whether live or during the Comeback Special.

Dave112, PepiJean and mark winstanley like this.
  25. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Great song. I have always liked the part where he sings the "gonna get me a boss man. One that's gonna treat muh-muh-me right". You can just tell he was all in on Big Boss Man. I have wondered if he might have been picturing the Colonel while singing.

artfromtex, RSteven, Shawn and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.