Audio-Technica launches new entry-level VM95 cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by daytona600, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Anyone know the difference between the ML and Shibata variants? Did they make improvements to the body or canteliver? Hate to bring up the stylus profile debate, but it never made sense to me why manufacturers charge more for a larger stylus.

2. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I don't know. The 750SH is also more expensive than the 740ML.

3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The cartridge body is the same, and I think the cantilever is essentially or exactly the same (aluminum). It seems like the Shibata costs more because of licensing, whereas the ML cut is proprietary to Audio-Technica. I guess there may be people who just prefer Shibata to ML, at least for certain applications (other than quadraphonic, where of course Shibata is preferred). Consensus seems to be that ML is a more advanced shape than Shibata, though.

Heckto35 likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

ML is a trade name AT uses for the Namiki Microridge tip. The Microridge tip was patented much later than the Shibata. Anyone that is curious can look up the actual patent documents.

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Really? I thought ML was for Micro Line. That makes sense, no?

Heckto35 likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

AT's Microline and Namiki's Microridge are the same thing. AT has the name "Microline" registered as a trademark, i.e. a marketing term. Namiki holds the patent for the actual design. Other companies label their use of the MR tip with a different marketing term.

Heckto35 and Chris Schoen like this.
  7. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ah, sure, I think I was confusing the unique trade name with the shape being proprietary. This makes sense.

patient_ot likes this.
  9. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

So, will the Shibata stylus cart introduce as many capacitance issues as the AT440mlb? If so, I'm steering clear.

10. Roger Beltmann

Roger Beltmann Old...But not obsolete

I have a AT-12s cartridge with a Shibata stylus left over from my quad set-up. It sounds okay, a little thin but only has 2.5 mv. output. That's just not enough for me. For me 4 to 6 mv.sounds the most pleasing to my ears. Volume level is then roughly the same level as cd or aux. One exception is my AT-92ecd now discontinued. At 3.5 mv it still is one of my best sounding cartridges. The specs are stellar. This cartridge is NOT a tail dragger when properly set up. The problem is with the half inch adapter that it comes with. The vertical tracking angle is way too shallow so it drags its butt. It needs to be shimmed or have a dedicated thin aluminum head shell that can bent down at the tonearm connector to achieve the proper angle. From the middle of the stylus to the tip should be parallel to the record surface. This should get you to 92 degrees. I wish now I had purchased two at $24.95 ea.

11. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Just bought the ML model. Noticed the stylus is titled ever so slightly to the left. Is this normal?
    Imgur
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  12. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

No, that doesn't look normal. I would return it for another.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Update: The AT-VM 95C now has a new home, it's installed in a 10 gram headshell, on my main daily driver Technics SL-1500's stock tonearm. It sounds better than ever, has plenty of detail now, bass is a little better, it's now dialed in. I really like it a lot, it does nothing wrong. A lot of cartridge for not a lot of money. Beats the old AT-95E on channel separation, detail, and on transient response. Still boogies, still energetic, but much more refined doing so. .

tables_turning, Paul K and 33na3rd like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Pulled the trigger on the VM95ML.

Will be interesting to compare to my Goldring 1042 and Stanton 680/Jico Shibata which are my two daily drivers right now.

I suspect it will track better than either but lose out on stereo separation to the Stanton. The Stanton is very hard to match in that aspect.

This will be the first AT ML stylus I've used in a little while - looking forward to using one again.

Big Blue and 33na3rd like this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The VM95ML landed today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The headshell included is one of AT's budget models and is made in China. Appears to be decent quality though. The cart itself is made in Japan. Out of the box the headshell appeared to be set up for Technics 52mm overhang. Took only a minute to get aligned to JVC 48mm overhang, which necessitated moving the cart all the way back in the headshell. Very easy - even confirmed it with a custom arc protractor.

Set it up to start with at 2.0g VTF and ~2 on the AS dial. I will dial this in a little further as the cart breaks in.

Even fresh out of the box on the first record I put on it already tracks sudden sibilants and tight inner grooves better than my Goldring 1042 ever did. Pretty amazing that a cart that retails for less than 1/3 of the price can do that, but there it is.

Once the cart breaks in I will see about doing some tonearm resonance tests and frequency response tests.

Big Blue, 33na3rd, vwestlife and 5 others like this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Almost grabbed one OT, but at the time I needed a cart, it wasn't stocked yet in the US- so I went with AT7V (which I love)
    Looking forward to your comments on it :)

patient_ot likes this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've heard good things about the AT-7V. That said, I'm pretty much done with with elliptical styli at this point. I realize the 7V is a very fine, high quality elliptical but still an elliptical nonetheless. If AT made a "8V" or "9V" with the ML stylus and the slightly stiffer, mid-compliance suspension of the 7V or this 95ML I'd buy that cart.

c-eling likes this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'm thinking if you are impressed with the 95, I may use that with my Technics for LP transfers. I'd move the AT7V to the Marantz which is hooked up to the main system.
    I found the 150MLX brighter than my liking (maybe it was a capacitance issue, not sure) so I never went back to a micro-line.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

When I had the previous generation 440ML styli (several of them) running on my Signet cart body on my Yamaha turntable (lighter tonearm) I was able to flatten out the frequency response by making a set of loading plugs and loading down to 39K. There was ZERO excess brightness whatsoever. Here is a frequency response chart. PM me if you want further proof.

[​IMG]

On the V95ML, I'm not sure if I need to load it down yet. Cursory listening says no, at least from a subjective standpoint. I will run the FR test when the cart is broken in and decide from there.

Big Blue, c-eling and 33na3rd like this.
  20. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Did your VM95 with headshell come with the AT stylus brush? I think the cart alone comes with the brush, but I think the cart with headshell does not.

patient_ot likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Unfortunately, no. Not a big deal because I already have a stylus brush.

22. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Thanks for confirmation.
    I do too, also including an AT brush that came with a different AT cart. When you pay extra to get the headshell, it's something that they don't include their stylus brush, which is a nice brush, that costs them 10 cents or less and does come with the cart when that's sold by itself.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would've liked a screwdriver also, but I didn't really need one either because I already had one.

macster likes this.
  24. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

:laugh:
    And an arm, and a turntable, and a whole stand....
    A workable set of jeweler's screwdrivers for the purpose is available even at Dollar Tree, but not a nice official stylus brush.

Their brush comes with the cart when sold by itself. It should come with the headshell version too. In my ever so humble opinion.

macster and patient_ot like this.
  25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I am also interested in seeing your feedback on the ML. I think I have made some progress in getting my EN dialed in, and I am strongly considering a stylus upgrade to the ML at some point.

I, too, got the version sold pre-mounted to headshell. I agree with your assessment of the headshell, that it is clearly budget but of decent quality considering the price point. I also think I found the same thing you did about the overhang. My Fluance turntable comes with its cart pre-mounted at what I measured to be 50mm using calipers. It also seems the AT headshell, when attached to my tonearm, doesn't sit quite level (this could definitely be the Fluance's fault, and, yes, that is still on the upgrade list!).

I decided to try an LP Gear Zupreme (10g) headshell so I would get adjustable azimuth and what seems to be a more rigid zinc alloy as opposed to what I assume is plastic in the AT headshell. I splurged on their SOAR leads, as well. I finally got that all switched over today, aligned at 50mm overhang, visually checked the azimuth (ironically, now that I can adjust it, the Zupreme looks to have the cantilever lined up pretty much dead on out of the box), and set my VTF at 2.0.

I'm through one LP with the new headshell setup, and I think I'm on the right track. I had been feeling like the cart was a little light in the pants, though nicely detailed and separated compared with my AT-91R conical. I had bought the green bonded elliptical stylus just to compare, but that had about the same tonal character with a little less resolution (expected of bonded vs. nude, but I wondered if the additional moving mass might slightly even out the frequency response compared with what I had been hearing; plus the green elliptical stylus is certainly cheap enough to try and keep around as a spare). I'm instantly noticing better bass response, though admittedly I'm only one record in. I'm looking forward to listening more and further forming an impression now that it has definitely had break-in time and I have it set up better.

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.