Listenin' To Country Music & Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Mar 5, 2019.

1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Right now, listening to a cd of Statler Brothers hits. I had been crazy about Flowers on the Wall since the 60s but really never knew anymore of the their work until this century.

I do like the brother and family groups, because, I guess, I think my totally untrained (and weak )voice joins in on their singing without ruining their performances :)

Scopitone, Jarleboy, rkt88 and 2 others like this.
  2. John B Good

hugh . g. likes this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Released in the 1990s, a then-new recording made by 1st generation rocker/crossover country artist Jack Scott which featured pedal steel and production one might have expected during that time period.

'Running Scared' as interpreted by Jack Scott

Reader, Hurakan, Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  4. melstapler

'If I Were You' aka 'If I Were You I'd Fall In Love With Me' is a song Gene Watson originally released on his 1983 LP "Sometimes I Get Lucky" and then on his 1985 LP "Texas Saturday Night." Gene later recorded an enjoyable (yet very similar) new version of this song during the 2000s, which was released on the album "Then & Now."

'If I Were You I'd Fall In Love With Me'

Boomer49, Dave112 and The Killer like this.
  5. melstapler

'You're Just Another Beer Drinkin' Song' is another enjoyable song released on his aforementioned 1983 "Sometimes I Get Lucky" LP.

Dave112, rkt88 and The Killer like this.
  6. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

to my ears? best country band of the 80's

Karnak, The MEZ and ando here like this.
  7. rkt88

"mirror mirror on my wall, tell me who is the loneliest fool of of all. oh wait a minute, i believe i see. the answer staring back at me". ha ( lyrical perfection )

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    melstapler likes this.
  8. rkt88

last but far from least.

"she left me no chance at redemption, no further exemption, just a big red goodbye, with lipstick on the wall goodbye says it all, no let's talk it over number i can call"

"goodbye says it all" :)

melstapler likes this.
  9. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

10. rkt88

once i heard roy do this? that was it for me. but great song.

melstapler likes this.
  11. rkt88

not "the" recording i was looking for from roy's "mystery girl LP" ( it sounds like a scratch demo ) BUT. this e. costello tune is sheer GENIUS with roy.

lord have mercy.

melstapler likes this.
  12. melstapler

We saw Diamond Rio perform a free concert a few years ago and it was a strange affair. They simplified the stage setup and replaced the piano with a keyboard which is understandable. However, I couldn't understand why they omitted so many major hits from their set in favor of generic classic rock covers which seemed to consume about half of their time onstage while cheapening the concert. Marty told the audience it wasn't possible for the band to play every single hit, so they'd be playing some cover songs. Either all or most of the original band members appeared to be present and they sounded great, which was a plus.

The MEZ and rkt88 like this.
  13. rkt88

man, rio sure did have a string of hits for while didnt they? i'd have been pissed if i went to a gig and they mostly covered "others"!

melstapler likes this.
  14. John B Good

Are you saying that was recorded in the 90s or that it got it's first release in the 90s?

I had a cd once that featured a Jack Scott live concert. Can't remember what was on it though :(

melstapler likes this.
  15. John B Good

Haven't heard that for awhile, awesome. Did it make any country charts?

melstapler and rkt88 like this.
  16. rkt88

its ( seemingly ) an outtake from my mystery girl lp which ( IIRC? ) was his last full length studio release and was on virgin that included you got it. i dont know the chart numbers, but it was definitely noticed and "you got it" was a hit, no?

its an absolutely brilliant LP start to finish. he of course had his wilbury's output but this was the solo finale .. just checked, yes his final lp.

the timpani kills me every time ;)

The MEZ and melstapler like this.
  17. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I love Lefty.

melstapler and rkt88 like this.
  18. rkt88

great chorus!

19. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

great use of Muddy Waters lick in a different context.

rkt88 likes this.
  20. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Chet was the best picker in any room.

Cardanken and rkt88 like this.
  21. rkt88

but jerry could always give chet a run for his money ;)

Cardanken and melstapler like this.
  22. rkt88

does it get any "better? does it need to??

Cardanken and melstapler like this.
  23. rkt88

lastly ( whew ) :)

Cardanken likes this.
  24. melstapler

How neat! Would love to hear that Jack Scott concert CD. I recall a fellow member on these forums had mentioned a full band live Jack Scott CD released in Canada which was purported to have been recorded in the 1960s, but the title was misleading and the source of that performance was believed to have been a professionally recorded concert for TV during the 1980s. If you ever find that disc, let me know.

That Curb CD from 1990 is a strange collection of new and old studio recordings. With Orbison's death still fairly recent, Jack Scott covered the 'Running Scared,' which was produced by Harley Hatcher. I believe there were also 2 unnecessary re-recordings of Jack Scott hits, although everything else on that CD comp seemed to be original recordings.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. John B Good

Thanks, I never knew either, that it was a Canada only cd, or that the Curb disk which I also once had, had new recordings on it.

melstapler likes this.