Listenin' To Country Music & Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

If you like country duets, this is a great one. They didn't call Vern Gosdin "The Voice" for nothing. This duet with Janie Fricke is absolutely beautiful!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Tjazz, rkt88, melstapler and 2 others like this.
  2. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Country-Folk/Pop with a touch of The Everly Brothers.

3. Record Rotator

4. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Even if Merle Travis or Hank Garland or Earl Scruggs were there?

majorlance and dalem5467 like this.
  5. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I've loved this tribute album Caught in the Webb: Tribute to Webb Pierce ever since it was released, highlighting the brilliance of country legend Webb Pierce. One of the best tribute albums that I've heard.

Just looking at the names attached to the project and you might see why since it includes Willie Nelson, Mandy Barnett, George Jones, Emmylou Harris, Dwight Yoakam, Charley Pride, Robbie Fulks, Allison Moorer, Pam Tillis, Crystal Gayle, Rosie Flores and other fine talents.

[​IMG]

Here's Mandy's contribution of the classic song "Slowly" to the above album:

clhboa, doublenaught, Walt and 2 others like this.
  6. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Another contribution from Robbie Fulks from the same album, "Tupelo County Jail":

melstapler and Fender Relic like this.
  7. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Most likely....everyone had a different style so it’s apples and oranges I guess.

Lownotes likes this.
  8. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal (But I'm Gonna Be A Diamond Someday) by Billy Joe Shaver

[​IMG]

doublenaught, Walt, rkt88 and 4 others like this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

'I Didn't (Every Chance I Had)' by Johnny Rodriguez

10. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

A big Carter family fan here. I had this band where we used to do Lulu Walls, Sweet fern, My Dixie darling, Are you lonesome to-night, Wildwood flower, and by myself I've also played You are my flower, Storms are on the ocean, Gold watch and chain, Keep on the sunny side, Engine 143, at least. So many have covered their songs but the originals have such a special and different quality that no-one has been able to come close to them, not even Maybelle herself. Modern bands that cover Carter songs tend to cut the corners on the weird chord changes and missed beats, but to me those details are essential parts of the songs. Like in "Gold watch and chain", "I will pawn you my gold watch and chain love", now any other guitarist in the world would make the chord change from Eb to Bb on the "chain" beat, but Maybelle does it the "love" beat, all through the song, verse and chorus. Or the chorus in "My Dixie darling", at first it just sounds random and uncontrolled, but they do it exactly the same way every time. Progressive!

11. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

when you're caught cheating' twice, it's 20 to life. in a place where the sun doesn't shine....

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Love this Dwight tune, still sounds great!

13. rkt88

gotta love 'ol vern

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Thank you, I've never heard of them, but those two cuts are amazing. Do they write their own material?

There were some duets in the 90s that seemed to be in the same vein - the name Foster and Lloyd comes to mind.

Today, I put one of the 2 cds on that old Hank Williams set in the car - I had forgotten how many great songs he created in such a short time.

melstapler and Record Rotator like this.
  15. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

Waylon Jennings - Analog Pearls. Cause it's Waylon and Waylon is good. Hybrid SACD, Stockfisch Records. 2014.

16. Record Rotator

Yes, they write their own material. They are brothers despite having different last names, Paul Burkum and Jack Torrey (the latter adopted a stage name at age 19 as a solo artist). The two cuts are probably my favorites from the album You're Dreaming, but I really like the whole album from start to finish. :)

melstapler and John B Good like this.
  17. A great, great SACD. I've sung its praises before on the forum, but it is one of my favorite SACDs. The recordings from the 1960s sound like they were just made yesterday.

Tingman, thepigdog and melstapler like this.
  18. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

'Honky Tonk Mood Again' by two-time Grammy award-winning songwriter Jim Lauderdale. His hit material has been recorded by major artists such as George Strait (numerous songs), Dixie Chicks, Vince Gill, Patty Loveless, Elvis Costello and Dave Edmunds.

19. rkt88

lauderdale had a good shot working with pete anderson and signed to epic(?) way back then, but i think in a way or at the time yoakum stole the thunder and la was no mans land for "country". still both lauderdale and certainly yoakum redeemed themselves admirably.

melstapler likes this.
  20. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Another Honky Tonk Song :)

Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Maseman66, melstapler and rkt88 like this.
  21. rkt88

there's a road, in oklahoma ....

melstapler likes this.
  22. rkt88

and one road often leads to another...

23. george nadara

Waylon Jennings

[​IMG]

24. george nadara

So many road signs were stolen that the Johnson County, Tennessee, county commissioners renamed it Copperhead Hollow Road. I live two counties distant and have a good friend who lives in Johnson County, and honest, neither of us has a Copperhead Road sign. Wouldn't mind having one. :winkgrin:

Among my favorite Steve Earle songs.

melstapler and rkt88 like this.
  25. george nadara

Currently on tour with Dave Alvin, a show I would like to see.

melstapler likes this.