The Fall - Album by Album by Single by Cassette thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jim B., Dec 10, 2015.

1. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

It's too bad Beggars couldn't keep up the Omnibus format that Wonderful.. And This Nations...got, but it's still a very nice package. Only listened once so far, but sounds great.

Willowman likes this.
  2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I gave the new Bend Sinister LP a listen last night - just the first disc/main album. It's a very quiet pressing, and without comparing it to anything, I felt like it sounded really good. I'm going to have to a/b this LP with my old CD, because I swear I was hearing a slight boost in the mid range.

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I’d say there’s a mid range boost judging by the CD. The only track I thought it made less preferable was R.O.D., which has lost a bit of its distant, hollow, sinister vibe and is more “rock”: with more going on, but I liked it with less body, or whatever I mean, god only knows. I do like the new CD though and prefer it all over the old ones except R.O.D.

hamicle and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  4. Pavol Stromcek

Interesting! So that would confirm that I wasn't imagining this mid-range boost. I'll compare it to the old CD when I get some time so that I can hear just how dramatic the difference is. I did like what I was hearing while listening to it, though.

5. BlueSpeedway

Yeah the source is obviously good, the old Beggars Fall CDs all sound kind of lifeless; not bad exactly, just... gutless. I also FWIW prefer the Omnibus remastered CDs for Wonderful and Grace over the original vinyl as well as the old CDs.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  6. BlueSpeedway

God, the "rough mix" of DKR FAUSTUS on the new Bend Sinister is fantastic. I had to listen to it three times before continuing with the disc..

Putrifiers II and Jim B. like this.
  7. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Is Imperial Wax Solvent a U.K. Record Store day only release?

8. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

It is, yes. Well, I don't know if it's UK only but it's RSD for sure.

9. octophone

The new Bend Sinister is a delight - I love what's been done here - it just takes a layer of grime off of the album, like washing a window. The results are terrific.

CaptainFeedback1, bzfgt and Jim B. like this.
  10. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Been listening to Slates, Grotesque and TWAFWOTF of late in a bout of nostalgia. Of the latter, I don't like the remastered versions much. For songs like O! Brother I want the original thanks!

11. BlueSpeedway

The singles for the TWAFWOTF era I agree are unbeatable on original UK vinyl, but I prefer the Omnibus CD remaster of the album itself over any other version on CD or vinyl I've heard.

12. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Looking at my box of 45s, a facsimile of the Marquis Cha Cha Single would be nice for a future RSD. It’s an annoying gap in the collection!

13. octophone

IIRC, the rights for that are with Cherry Red. Given the facsimile "Rowche Rumble" being added to their new vinyl edition of "Dragnet", I can't imagine this would be out of the question by the time they get to "Room To Live".

Willowman likes this.
  14. Pavol Stromcek

Man, Beggars Banquet really needs to get its act together and find a new pressing plant. I've actually had to go through three copies of the new Bend Sinister LP to find a copy where both LPs are (relatively) flat. With two of the copies, the second LP had a bad dish warp and edge warp, and the first LPs were moderately dish warped. I finally found a copy where the first LP has only a very, very mild dish warp, and the second LP a moderate dish warp. I think that's about as good as it's going to get for this release.

This shouldn't be a surprise, as I had similar problems with their vinyl reissues of Bauhaus' Sky's Gone Out and Burning From the Inside - all pretty badly warped. But I'm going to be really hesitant to buy any new Beggars Banquet vinyl in the future.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member Thread Starter

Were all those pressed in the EU or US?

16. Pavol Stromcek

EU, I believe.

Jim B. likes this.
  17. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

I'm just getting into the Fall and this thread is bookmarked as my go-to with regards to all the releases.

The compilations and live releases are a complete nightmare. At least in today's day and age fans will be able to get the rarer stuff easier and not be constantly searching for an exclusive version of 1 mediocre song from a mid 90s 10" single.

Jim B. and bzfgt like this.
  18. BlueSpeedway

If I were you I’d ignore compilations for now. Get all the studio albums expanded versions then you’ll have 99% of the non album stuff at least up to the Are You Are Missing Winner era.

I’d recommend these official live albums to start: Austerbaijo / Fall In a Hole / I am Pure as Orange, and the Hacienda live DVD compilation. Then if you get into Dragnet, get its “companion” live album Totale’s Turns. :righton:

bzfgt likes this.
  19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Except the Peel sessions if you can get them...

20. BlueSpeedway

True, but quite a lot of the Peel Sessions are included on the expanded CDs, which is a good Fall Peel start. Hopefully the full Peel set will get an affordable reissue soon or soonish for newer fans.

21. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Good luck, and don’t bother with the mediocre songs - just get the good ones ;-)

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  22. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

I've already got the Singles box set that I have listened to the first 2 discs. I've also got Bend Sinister which is very good in my opinion. I've heard it a few times. I have The Unuterable and Witch Trials ready to hear other the next month or so but I aren't in a rush to hear everything. I'll be quite glad to be able to 'get to know' these releases over the coming year and more.

23. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member Thread Starter

I'd recommend going chronologically as it's really like a great adventure with lots of twists and turns.

Welcome anyway to the Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall discography!

25. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

I was thinking of doing that and incorporating the Peel Sessions between the albums and singles when they were broadcast. But that could be a bit difficult to keep track of. I have got Live at the Witch Trials on now. First listen. It sounds different to anything else. Very unique.

jimod99, Jim B. and bzfgt like this.