Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Noticed a couple of woman from Orange Is ..in The Handmaid’s Tale. A lot of cross fertilisation i’ve noticed when you when you watch different tv series‘s back to back. Deadwood is another hotbed - source for actors appearing in other shows.

2. alexpop

After watching 2 seasons of Timeless 7/10 ..pretty good, I got The Tudors 1-4, price incentive.

3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Warrior, a new series on Cinemax from the creator of Banshee premiered last night.

GyroT, slipkid and alexpop like this.
  4. The Deadwood movie it should be next

alexpop likes this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx for the heads up.

Keep us updated as to what you (not just the poster but anybody) thinks of it.

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I have to agree with an earlier post. Going back and watching Twin Peaks was oddly compelling. The first season obviously was the peak but a wild ride. Don't forget the extra season from many years later, while not as solid, makes for an intresting companion to the original.

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I loved the new season, my favorite one actually. Lynch took total control and directed every episode instead of handing over the keys to many other directors, which amped up the weirdness with DL doing the "driving", and also for whatever reason (perhaps no longer under pressure from a TV network to generate ratings?) cut out all the stupid high school (& other) romance stuff.

trumpet sounds and alexpop like this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Killing Eve. At first you take it seriously then, when you start to work things out, you have to watch the whole thing again.

Tokyo Ghost and alexpop like this.
  9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Tin Star (2017) The first episode is like a remake of Northern Exposure but then it gets darker than anyone would have guessed. Worth it for the sex scenes alone :D

dmiller458, Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

Must be good ( great) is something begs repeats.

11. alexpop

I’ve yet to watch Twin Peaks, guess Blu Ray is the way to go?

12. alexpop

Northern Exposure is another show I missed out on. Seen one episode( a bit a least ), looked great interesting.

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I really like it so far. It’s adapted from an old Bruce Lee screenplay. Akin to a period show like Peaky Blinders/Deadwood with even more choreographed fight scenes and nudity than Banshee.

slipkid and alexpop like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Twin Peaks is complicated. There have been multiple box sets out, with differing extras & content IIRC. Even a different "international" pilot version. Then there is the movie (prequel) too. I have the "definitive" gold box set on DVD (actually had it when it first came out then sold it because I think it went way up in price or something, then bought it again later when it went back down!). That version has tons of extras including the international pilot.

Then when the new series came out, I picked up the blu-ray for the original show called "The Entire Mystery" which includes the movie and yet more extras (I have yet to even open that), plus I picked up the blu-ray for the new series which has all kinds of extras yet again including (supposedly) 80 minutes "exclusive" to the blu-ray not on the DVD (?).

I suspect, but am not enough of an anorak to know - and haven't even watched the blu-ray sets yet - that with those 2 blu-ray sets you *might* get everything (& more?).

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

Thx for the info!!
    I’m looking to get a dvd box now. Reason ...watching The Sopranos complete blu ray box ( that I got a few years ago) and some discs are freezing, I just had a look at many complaints about this on amazon..,So I don’t want my viewing interrupted again I guess the dvd box will have to do.

16. alexpop

As a continuity to the above post did anyone get the extended The Sopranos complete series dvd box 30 discs? Had the original dvd box no probs. Got rid of it for the BD complete box( mistake ).

17. alexpop

Remember watching The Fugitive in the sixties, real nail biting stuff, waiting a week for concluding episode. Present day... Media is usually out six months ( earlier) when the season ends. The joy of the 21st century.

slipkid likes this.
  18. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I was late to the party, but I binged Mad Men over the last month and left the series feeling like the characters were brought to life by the stellar writing and acting.

Jon Hamm’s work was incredible subtle, with a huge payoff in the final episode. The finale wrapped up the series beautifully. If more actors like Christina Hendricks were cast in Hollywood, maybe more women wouldn’t feel like they have to be super thin to succeed. She was a knockout on the show all the way around.

thgord, EVOLVIST and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Jon Hamm deserves his own Mad Men sequel.

The best thing I seen him subsequently was playing a spy along with Gal Gadot in -
    Keeping Up With The Joneses.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    thgord likes this.
  20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Project Blue Book. The X Files meets Mad Men.

alexpop likes this.
  21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Killing Eve season 2.
    It's just as fun trying to work out what songs are on the soundtrack as watching the show

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

Sci-fi related.
    Looks interesting.

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's actual cases (it's on the History channel) but it takes it as fact that UFOs have been visiting Earth since, at least. Roswell. A lot of the stories are way familiar

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

Followed by ( hopefully) Breaking Bad movie.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. alexpop

Dry gluch regarding new tv series to watch.
    So started watching Banshee blu ray complete box ( second time).

slipkid and Brenald79 like this.