Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

What would you consider to be the questionable omissions? Their intent seemed to be to present single a-sides that had not appeared on an LP yet. I can't think of anything they left out that fits that criteria.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Those omission that you may be referring to would be hits that were already on LP. After the first volume that had Love Me, Teddy Bear and Loving You, the Gold Record series was not to have songs that were already on LP. Had they included songs already on LP, the certainly would have included Hard Headed Woman and Don't Ask Me Why on V2. And between V3 and V4 they could have included Wild In The Country, Can't Help Falling In Love, Rock A Hula Baby, Return To Sender, Where Do You Come From, One Broken Heart For Sale, They Remind Me Too Much Of You, Bossa Nova Baby, Kissin Cousins, Viva Las Vegas, Crying In The Chapel, Wooden Heart, Puppet On A String. And they most likely would not have included Love Letters or Indescribably Blue.

I think in lieu of Love Me, Loving You and Teddy Bear the first volume should have included I Was The One, My Baby Left Me and Playing For Keeps.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

I thought all the Golden/Gold Records albums released during Elvis' lifetime were done well, including the cover's artwork. Also thought they did a good job with the Worldwide 50 Gold Award Hits Vol 1 box set as well.

4. US Male would have fit nicely. I didn’t think Gold EPs were off limits, but maybe they were. If not, Viva Las Vegas. But I’m not complaining, I love the album as-is.

RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  5. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I would like to add to the Golden Conversation that a volume 5 would have been great had it been released instead of the lackluster "Love Letters from Elvis" (1971).
    There were enough new hits to do a strong and cohesive album:

SIDE A

1- Suspicious Minds (#1)
    2- I've Lost You (#32)
    3- US Male (#28)
    4- Rubberneckin' (b-side)
    5- Don't Cry Daddy (#6)
    6- Kentucky Rain (#16)

SIDE B
    1- In The Ghetto (#3)
    2- Patch It Up (b-side)
    3- You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (#11)
    4- Clean Up Your Own Backyard (#35)
    5- If I Can Dream (#12)
    6- The Wonder Of You (#9)

6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I like your lineup. But not including the WWGAH V1 and V2 and Camden listings and in keeping with only using non-LP tracks, my lineup would be:

SIDE A
    1- Suspicious Minds
    2- I've Lost You
    3- US Male
    4- Rubberneckin'
    5- Don't Cry Daddy
    6- Kentucky Rain

SIDE B
    1- High Heel Sneakers
    2- Patch It Up
    3- Always On My Mind
    4- Clean Up Your Own Backyard
    5- Separate Ways
    6- Burning Love

Of course it would have had to come out a bit more that a year later than yours.

Iceman08, RSteven, Dave112 and 5 others like this.
  7. Yeah, the Gold Record series is one where the RCA Victor art department actually came through with flying colors. Wonderful art work, and Vol 2 is iconic.

8. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I like it! With the inclusion of HHS and BL, it even rocks more than mine!!

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  9. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

[​IMG]

10. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Great Work, PepiJean!

11. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Thanks!!:righton:

12. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I like it and I would have gladly bought a copy, but I'm also fond of the Love Letters album.

13. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Wow! I've never seen an orange label "Elvis Sails". That must be a rare bird now days.

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

You'll Never Walk Alone
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Written By :
    Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 10-12, 1967 : September 11, 1967. plice take 8 and 1

I have always liked this song, and even though not technically a gospel song, I used to play this in a church. As would be expected, Elvis does a good job of this.

Iceman08, RSteven and Dave112 like this.
  15. mark winstanley

We Call On Him
    Written By :
    Ben Weisman, Sid Wayne & Fred Karger

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 10-12, 1967 : September 11, 1967. take 9

We have a nice lyric here. The foxhole prayer is a funny thing, and this song addresses that.

Dave112 likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby/Let Yourself Go
    [​IMG][​IMG]

(US) RCA 47-9547
    Released: May 21, 1968
    * Recorded: MGM Studios, Hollywood, June 20, 1967
    ** Recorded: MGM Studios, Hollywood, June 21, 1967

This is the lead single from the Speedway soundtrack, and we'll hit the album in the morning.

Dave112 likes this.
  17. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

LET YOURSELF GO: it had a lot of potential (I just love that R&B / Funky rhythm) but somehow Elvis' vocals fail to deliver a 100% rock performance. For the 68 comeback, he would NAIL it with those awesome vocals but this time the arrangement is not that good. I wish somebody could combine the single arrangement (those clapping at the beginning!) with Presley's comeback special voice... YOUR TIME HASN'T COME YET BABY is nice. This is it.

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  18. mark winstanley

Speedway -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Released May 26 1968
    Recorded May 1963, June-September 1967, January 1968
    Genre Rock, pop
    Length 28:26
    Label RCA Victor
    Producer Jeff Alexander

Speedway took over the new low for chart position and album sales by Presley, shifting units numbered in five figures, jeopardizing his recording career.[3]:262 Much to his relief, it killed the soundtrack formula, this being the final Presley dramatic feature film to have a full soundtrack album. His last five movies of the decade — Stay Away, Joe, Live A Little, Love A Little, Charro!, The Trouble with Girls, and Change of Habit — concentrated on Presley the actor, not Presley the singer, with minimal song requirements.[3]:239, 243, 260, 261, 279 It is also the last Presley album to be released in both stereo and mono editions as mono was being phased out by the industry, thus making the rare mono pressing of Speedway (LPM-3989) a sought-after item among collectors[4]

By June 1967, while Presley was toiling at the sessions for this soundtrack, the recent release of the magnum opus by The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, had the music industry in thrall. The Velvet Underground & Nicowould build its influence through the decades, and Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane, the debut album by The Doors, and I Never Loved A Man the Way I Love You by Aretha Franklin were all top-selling albums.[5] The Monterey Pop Festival had taken place just the past weekend some 300 miles up the California coast from where Presley was working. He was probably aware of some of the changes being wrought in popular music around him, but in his own increasingly isolated world he was most aware that there were more soundtrack songs to record.[3]:228

Eight tracks for Speedway were recorded at the sessions, with "Suppose", the only song that held interest for Elvis, dropped from the movie.[3]:229-230 Two tracks were pulled for a single, "Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby" with "Let Yourself Go" on its flipside, and both sides made the lower reaches of the Billboard Hot 100(respectively numbers 72 and 71) but bombed sales-wise.[3]:244 "There Ain't Nothing Like A Song," rejected from the soundtrack for Spinout, was one of two songs that feature the lead vocals of Nancy Sinatra, here in duet with Presley.[3]:228 All her vocals, and her "Your Groovy Self," the only time a track without Elvis featured on any of his releases, were recorded at a separate session on June 26, produced by Lee Hazlewood.[6] Three leftover tracks, including one from the May 1963 "lost album" sessions, were unearthed to round out the album.

June 26 session:

Side one
    1. "Speedway" Mel Glazer and Stephen Schlaks June 20, 1967 2:10
    2. "There Ain't Nothing Like A Song" (duet with Nancy Sinatra) Joy Byers and Bob Johnston June 20, 1967 2:06
    3. "Your Time Hasn't Come Yet, Baby" Joel Hirschhorn, Al Kasha June 20, 1967 1:49
    4. "Who Are You (Who Am I?)" Ben Weisman and Sid Wayne June 20, 1967 2:32
    5. "He's Your Uncle, Not Your Dad" Ben Weisman and Sid Wayne June 21, 1967 2:25
    6. "Let Yourself Go" Joy Byers June 21, 1967 2:56
    Side two
    1. "Your Groovy Self" (solo by Nancy Sinatra) Lee Hazlewood June 26, 1967 2:54
    2. "Five Sleepy Heads" (bonus track) Roy C. Bennett and Sid Tepper June 20, 1967 1:29
    3. "Western Union" (bonus track) Roy C. Bennett and Sid Tepper May 27, 1963 2:10
    4. "Mine" (bonus track) Roy C. Bennett and Sid Tepper September 10, 1967 2:36
    5. "Goin' Home" (bonus track) Joy Byers January 15, 1968 2:23
    6. "Suppose" (bonus track) Sylvia Dee and George Goehring June 20, 1967 2:01
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We thankfully come to the end of the soundtrack era. It isn't that I particularly dislike the music, I think there is some great music. My problem with it comes from the fact that this venture into a Hollywood that really wasn't overly concerned about Elvis, and just saw a chance to make a few quick bucks off him, distracted him from the music world.
    Nobody could have foreseen the changes that came to the music world, and particularly the world of rock music during the years of 63-68 ... The rock world was turned on its head by many many artists that completely changed the face of music forever. The album era started, the singles era died somewhat, the EP died pretty much altogether ... and the sounds just moved on and on, until the rock and roll inception was virtually a speck on the horizon of history, being greatly undervalued, and worse still, a little made fun of.....
    By the time Elvis realised he was all at sea, it was too late to change course due to contractual obligation. I think that is why to a large degree we sometimes hear a totally uninterested singer fulfilling a contract too often from about 64-68.
    Thankfully, for the most part 67 and 68 saw a resurgence of interest via various tracks and projects.... and even some of the somewhat floundering movie projects returned to having some brighter moments .... but in reality the damage was done. Mismanagement, bad decisions and futile contratcual obligations had reduced Elvis to being a virtual laughing stock amongst the "serious" music contingent and there was only a mild glimmer of hope on the horizon.
    This soundtrack isn't bad, and has a couple of very good songs, but in reality, I think most of us are thinking "thank God the movie years are over"

Anyway - I guess that isn't much of an album review ... but as much as I don't hate this album (although what the .... is He's your uncle not your dad all about ...... ) I am saddened that one of the greatest singers and interpreters of songs ever has been reduced to an industry joke ... even though the sweetest thing is coming very soon .....

What do you think about this album guys?

Tomorrow we'll hit the first song.

Cheers,
    Mark

Iceman08, Revelator and PepiJean like this.
  19. mark winstanley

20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

...so this may sound odd, but You'll Never Walk Alone is an album (ok, comp) that I'm in awe of and love more than almost any other Elvis release. We get all sides of the Elvis gospel experience: the brilliant Peace In The Valley EP, two genuinely euphoric numbers that just happen to be soundtrack cuts, and - best of all - the title track, which may well be the one Elvis song that hits me the most. From the stuttering piano accompaniment to Elvis' trademark dramatic spin, You'll Never Walk Alone never fails to leave me feeling both devastated and comforted. It's a truly magical recording, and the take on Platinum might be even better than the spliced master. As far as sheer intensity goes, I'll put it up against any Elvis performance.

Elvis really needed to cover Rodgers & Hammerstein (or Rodgers & Hart) more often; when he did, the results were always exquisite.

On the single, We Call On Him can't help but feel a bit anticlimactic after the rawness of You'll Never Walk Alone. On the album, though, it makes for an effective, subdued closer to side 1.

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

Oct 10 1967
    Clambake - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Guitar Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    full take with What's I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Clambake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Who Needs Money Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 House That Has Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Confidence Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Hey Hey Hey Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 You Don'tKnow Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Girl I Never Loved Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 How Can You Lose What You Never Had Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Big Boss Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Singing Tree Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Just Call Me Lonesome Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 3 1968
    Guitar Man/ Hi Heeled Sneakers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 22 1968
    Elvis Golden Records Vol 4

Feb 27 1968
    U.S. Male/Stay Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 26 1968
    You'll Never Walk Alone/ We Call On Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 21 1968
    Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby/ Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 26 1968
    Speedway

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    interview 72 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

22. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

I like "Speedway" and the bonus songs.

Although a far cry from Ann's performances with Elvis both on screen, and in the recording sessions in VLV, I enjoyed Nancy's; "Your Groovy Self" and her duet with Elvis, "There Ain't Nothing Like A Song."

Agree with your "end of the soundtrack era" synopsis. Many fans and me included, are way too hard at times on Elvis during this period. I doubt anyone else, could have done as well as Elvis did, both on screen and in the recording sessions.

23. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Strange "duet"... They only trade verses on the last verse. And it sounds like Nancy's voice is flown in, not recorded when El did his vocals.

24. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Speedway is sort of the opposite of Clambake for me, in that I prefer most of the soundtrack songs to the bonus cuts. Overall, it's a solid listen from start to finish. As Elvis' last full-length soundtrack album, I think he went out on a high note.

Your Time Hasn't Come Yet, Baby is one of the sweetest songs that Elvis ever sang. It *should* be pure cheese, but somehow, Elvis makes it work. It's probably my favourite cut on the album. Plus, it inspired one of my favourite Smiths/Kirsty MacColl songs (You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby), so it gets bonus points for that as well.

Let Yourself Go is decent enough, but the stand-alone version from the Comeback Special (the one on disc 1 of the Complete '68 Comeback Special 4-disc set) is a masterpiece. "Come on, baby, let's go, let's go, let's go, let's go, LET'S GO!" is one of the most thrilling, most cathartic moments in any piece of music I've ever heard. Unfortunately, the Road Medley version has nowhere near the same impact, and I can't seem to find the version I'm talking about (it clocks in at 2:37) on YouTube.

Iceman08, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  25. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Agreed!

Their performances didn't come close to the expectations, with having Nancy teaming up with Elvis. Keep in mind, Nancy's career was doing great at the time.

When Speedway was originally released back in June of '68 (US), lines were out the door for only the first day. It didn't take long for the word to got out, best to pass on this one.

Shawn, mark winstanley and Hooperfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.