Moog minimoog model D

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry c., Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident Thread Starter

This of course is the classic. The one you’ve heard thruout the 70’s in every musical genre.

I have become so enamored and obsessed with the minimoog that I’m on the verge of buying a $3,500 synth despite not being able to play a single note on a keyboard.

I have however played the guitar for 40 years... for whatever that’s worth. ..if anything.. .. let me know.. I need just a little push.. or a dose of reality..

Crungy, Floyd Crazy, Maurice and 5 others like this.
  2. Mr. Nastey

Mr. Nastey Forum Resident

Enjoy!!! I use emulators for a whole bunch of old synths... I know it's not quite the same, but it is much cheaper. If I had lots of money, I would probably pick up a bunch of mold synths, along with a Mellotron.

Former Scientist likes this.
  3. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I have a Minimoog Model D and I am completely obsessed with it (It is about 10 feet away from me as I type). It is a dream to play and when I run a sequencer into it ............ good bye world. I also have a Prophet 6, Moog Grandmother and Korg Kronos 2 88 key. I can make all kinds of wonderful noise. I have been playing guitar for near 40 years. A few years ago I got into synthesizers and my musical world expanded beyond expectations. I am obsessed. Make the jump. Best thing I've done in years. Being a monosynth, the learning curve is not too steep. You may not come off as Wakeman right away, but you will lay down some amazing sound scapes.

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm not going to convince you to drop $3,500 on a Moog, but I've got 43 years on guitar and 39 on bass and if you understand intervals, keys, scales and the basics of chord construction (assuming it's polyphonic), the way keyboards are laid out, it's quite easy to get up to speed. I'm not saying that keyboards are easy, but I suspect it's unlikely that you'll be attempting any Rachmaninoff on minimoog any time soon and getting going on it shouldn't be that difficult.

Suncola likes this.
  5. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I have a vintage Model D that I’ve sunk a ton of money into. Since then, Moog did their reissue for about the same price I spent.

And now, there’s the Behringer Model D, which seems fantastic for $300.

My advice: get the Behringer, and a Korg ARP Odyssey, spending less than $1K, learn how to use them both, and hook them together!

6. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I bought my Moog without being able to play keyboards as well, then proceeded to record an entire album using nothing besides it.

Of course that was back in the '80's, and it was a Moog Rogue that I got for $60 at a flea market...

Floyd Crazy and 2141 like this.
  7. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Totally right. You have the musical background that will help you massively in your new adventure. You have musical sensibility that transfers over. You will know what sounds right and to be truthful, the keyboard is easier to navigate than a fretboard.

8. Jerry c.

This is exactly what I want hear. I’m really wanting to do this.

What are you guys using for amplification? Would I be alright using vintage fender combos?

I have a 64 concert, 68 super reverb, 69 Princeton reverb.. or a 71 Marshall super lead

audiotom, 2141 and Crimson jon like this.
  9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Right; the most difficult thing about keyboards is doing independent things with the left and right hands. That particular skill probably doesn't come into play on minimoog nearly as much as it would on a more standard keyboard.
    I have a Roland D-50 as my keyboard and I use it through an '80s Fender SS guitar amp. The '69 PR you've got is probably very clean, right (I have a December '64 Princeton, no reverb)? I think any of your options would work just fine.

2141, Crimson jon and Todd68 like this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The amount of gear one could buy for $3,500 is staggering. Behringer is killing it now with their emulated and original synths. I'd buy a nice midi controller with plenty of assignable knobs, pads and sliders, a Model D, Deepmind 12, MS-101, a Roland TR-8S and pocket $1500.

11. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I use powered studio speakers. I did run through my tweed but I have stereo delays and reverb that make things very interesting. As for the Behringer suggestion, its a good alternative, but you will need to grab a keyboard. I had one the Behringer Model D too. It sounded great but the feel and ease of play on the real deal won the day. It just inspired me. Mind you, the Behringer is way cheaper and it is a solid alternative. I just had to have the real thing. I had the cash and was willing to pay the difference. I got the moog reissue because I wanted the midi features and comfort of knowing the instrument's history. In terms of resale, the Minimoog seems to be holding value well. No doubt in large part because they are no longer being made.

2141 likes this.
  12. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

That is by far the biggest curve. I just use my left to manipulate the wheels and I can almost ignore my Achilles heel.

2141 and Archtop like this.
  13. tonewheeltom

If you’ve got hard to replace speakers in those amps, be very careful with oscillators tuned to the lowest octaves and any moment when the resonant low pass filter self-oscillates.

Todd68 likes this.
  14. Jerry c.

I get that there are alternatives, but I’ve got to have the real deal. ..especially since they’re no longer in production

the pope ondine, crispi and ArpMoog like this.
  15. tonewheeltom

Also, don’t underestimate the Moog Minitaur.

In fact I have a Minitaur, Odyssey, and Prophet 6, all had for under $3500 total.

Todd68 likes this.
  16. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

The first synth I played was an Arp Odyssey and I was hooked. One filter sweep and I was in. I had no idea what I was doing then, but it was so much fun. I was completely inspired. I reminded me what it was like to be a kid with my first electric guitar and amp. The Minimoog manual is not overwhelming. You will be up and running in no time. Like you, I had to have a Minimoog. I plan on keeping it forever, so the investment wasn't hard to justify. I smile just looking at it. Sort of reminds me of that feeling I get looking at a killer Les Paul with a deep top carve and subtle flame top.

17. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i have rented them from SIR more than a few times. groovy, baby.

18. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

No. Mine is sitting inches from me as I type.

As others have said the Berhinger is an exceptional clone at astoundingly cheap price, and it sounds virtually the same. No doubt you get some vantage appeal with the model D, I get that, and no doubt it will make you smile even time you play it. It will also go out of tune and require some light maintenance and is expensive.

I've been lucky to own too many synths to mention (I very much wish I still had my Synthi AKS), sold most because the old ones break down often and are pricey to repair (and I needed rent money). We are currently in a golden age of fantastic hardware synths.

If I were to recommend how to spend that amount of money it would be purchasing the new-ish Oberhiem OB-6. That synth is special. A mono synth like the model D is a thing of beauty, a polyphonic alanlogue synth with magic like the OB-6 will send you to another dimension. I like it more than the Prophet 6, Expander, Jupiter 6 and 8 I used to own.

2141 likes this.
  19. Jerry c.

Just lookin at it is amazing. I’d like to sweep all the woman’s crap off the coffee table and keep it right there

Floyd Crazy and 2141 like this.
  20. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident

Are you buying vintage or a new release? The minimoog was probably my first foray into my obsession with analog synthesizers. I remember calling a number from the back of Keyboard Magazine in the mid 90's searching for this synth and finding one for cheap. I had many analog synths back in the day and only managed to keep my all stock VCS3 Mk 1, I'll never part with that one.

2141, notesofachord and tonewheeltom like this.
  21. Jerry c.

Looking at the new reissue

22. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Before I would invest $3,500 in something I’m not sure I’ll continue to hold an interest in, I’d pick up a Behringer Model D ($330) and a MIDI keyboard to trigger it. You could probably find an Alesis or M-Audio MIDI keyboard on your local Craigslist for between $50 and $100. If you find you’re still interested in it after a while, you can always unload it on eBay for close to what you paid for it, then pick up a real Mini Moog.

23. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident

It's a beautiful synth, I just grew up when these were first coming out, so I always go for the originals, for better or worse!

2141 likes this.
  24. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

Do not do this ^. Buy the real Moog and forget the Behringer. If you just buy the Moog you’ll be blissfully unaware of the $3000 price difference.

audiotom and tspit74 like this.
  25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

My buddy has an original Minimoog. What a delight it is.

My arsenal:

Sequential Pro One
    Roland Juno 60
    Yamaha Reface DX
    Korg Arp Odyssey
    Korg MS20m

Just remember: synthesizers LOVE reverb and delays (sometimes chorus too).

Have fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.