Moog minimoog model D

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry c., Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

A vintage or reissued Model D is way too expensive for me, but I do have a Moog Sub 37 I'm quite happy with... fun instrument, and a not too steep learning curve if you're new to analog synthesis. You can definitely get cool sounds out of it.

2. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Buy the Model D you won't regret it I promise. Here is a mind Fu#k for you though , Ive owned three, still have one and they all sounded slightly different
    from each other. If your buying a original and not a reissue get a older one with the second revision cards. Basically any unit without ribbed wheels.
    Never 100% cards were swapped you need to ask the seller.
    The rev one R.A 's and Musonics numbers are very small and you would pay more then 3500 for one of those.
    Another great thing about the D is its discreet for the most part and easy to repair compared to some of the beast from the time.
    Some players after having used the original units with a prat key bed don't care for the key bed in the reissue.

TLMusic likes this.
  3. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

More Fun

5. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

Whatever? :laugh: It wasn’t your suggestion to begin with but of course you would want to try to take credit for that. Yet another dick move.

6. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I own the reissue. I’ve never owned the original to compare but it’s really great. As long as it’s going to get played a lot, you’ll never regret the purchase of such a high quality instrument. That’s the question. We’ve all made a few impulse buys over the years. The Moog is tons of fun but if I wasn’t producing or playing it in a band, it would be serious overkill.

7. Theloneliest Monk

I don’t know if an Epiphone looks or sounds 90% as good as as what it is knocking off, I certainly don’t think they look 90% as good, but part of the craftsmanship aspect you mention would include the way the instrument plays and it doesn’t take a virtuoso to feel that an Epiphone doesn’t play anything approaching 90% of the way a Les Paul plays.

audiotom likes this.
  8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I sent for the brochure but never bought one.

9. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Mini Moogs are monophonic, as far as I know

Archtop likes this.
  10. Theloneliest Monk

Thus the bit about not attempting Rachmaninoff on a Minimoog, which is apparently the Archtop way of saying it is monophonic.

Archtop likes this.
  11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Good luck OP, I'm not sticking around in here with this.

12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

More like me obliquely assuming that it probably isn't polyphonic. Then again, knowing chord construction basics can't hurt in crafting monophonic note choices, can it?

notesofachord likes this.
  13. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

An honest-to-goodness synthesizer discussion on the SH boards! This surely is the oddest timeline!!!
    :goodie:
    Of course you know it's those classic, kludgy, temperamental and "moldy" synths that are the most fun to play with!!

14. If I was spending the coin, I'd veer in to Buchla territory but if nothing else, you could always recoup a good part of your investment with a Moog if it turns out it's not your cup of tea.

elaterium likes this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Exactly. It’s a huge investment, but it’ll retain its value since there will always be a market for a handcrafted Minimoog. It’s not like a synth will get dings or belt buckle rash like a guitar. Definitely cover the synth (I use t shirts) when not in use to keep the dust off, but otherwise wear and tear should be minimal.

16. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

I had one of the first production runs of the Minimoog. Saw it in the window of the legendary Manny's Music on 48th St NYC. (Clapton bought
    his wah-wah pedal there while recording Disraeli Gears) and had to have it. Used the hell out of it. It wasn't too hard to get sounds out of it. I used it on
    library music tracks, logos & sound efx for advertising back in the day. I put it in an old alligator suitcase made a dolly and wheeled it from the bus
    terminal down Times Square to the studio I worked at!
    PS-recently I saw an old re-run of To Tell The Truth on Game Show Network, and a young Robert Moog was on it! Only one person on the panel
    correctly guessed the real Dr. Moog. Afterwards, they had a Model D setup and he gave a demonstration on it.

notesofachord, Todd68 and Shawn like this.
  17. FillmoreGuy

Also I have a 1971 Moog catalog that has the whole Moog line with the Mini and those amazing modular units including the IIIc which
    Keith Emerson used. List price then- Model D-$1495, IIIc $7985
    I also have one of those old flexidiscs: "The SoundOf The Moog" featuring the Minimoog which came with the catalog. Had to place a
    quarter on it to play it.

Todd68 likes this.
  18. FillmoreGuy

Buchla's are very cool, but might be tricky to program. Morton Subotnik is a wizard on this thing. Check out "Touch" & "Sidewinder".
    Donald Buchla passed away not too long ago.

notesofachord and Shawn like this.
  19. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

I threw my money at a Mellotron 400D mini (a digital one), a Sub Phatty, A Nord Lead A1 and a Roland VR 09 for the pianos/organ....not old stuff but reliable and wonderous to play. Of course, I’m now penniless, but it’s worth it!!!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    notesofachord and Mr. Nastey like this.
  20. FillmoreGuy

The original mellotrons were banned for sale by the Musicians Union (AFM) because they thought it would replace live string players.
    Where would King Crimson be without one?

21. Former Scientist

I love my Mellotron more than anything, but how anyone thought they could replace strings! They are their own, magical sound...

notesofachord likes this.
  22. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Mellotron sounds were a large part of why I got the Korg Kronos 2. Well that and about a million other reasons. Saw Herbie Hancock playing one live last year and figured that could cover a lot of ground for me. Sadly I play no where near as good as Herbie. Never will.

Former Scientist likes this.
  23. Former Scientist

You have your own style! There can only be one Herbie.....

Do you try to jemmy that 8 voice choir into songs it plainly isn’t suitable for? I know I do....

Todd68 likes this.
  24. With Buchlas I find it's a lot more about experimenting and getting 'far out' sounds (to put it far too simply). Subotnik was an absolute pioneer, his Silver Apples of the Moon album is a must for synth fans. Moogs are a different ballgame altogether, but fascinating in their own way.

FillmoreGuy and elaterium like this.
  25. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I’m a Buchla and Arp man myself.

notesofachord, FillmoreGuy and Shawn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.