Moog minimoog model D

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry c., Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've been using a Plankton ANTS! synth for the last year or two. For the $ (I think it was around $500), I find it's extremely versatile and with its four analog VCOs I can get a huge arrays of sounds.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  2. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I have mixed some multi level combos that should never be together. Until they are. :)

Former Scientist likes this.
  3. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I have the Moog D reissue. It's an absolute dream to own and play. Do I need it? No. Would I want to live without it? No. It is more than the sum of its parts. The behringer is cute but it is not the Moog.

I have a million other synths and keys as well. The D is perfect.

notesofachord, Shawn and Todd68 like this.
  4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

This either or stuff misses the point. The joy of these analog beast in they each have their own personalities , character and quirks.
    No machine replaces another. A Minimoog is nothing like a Arp 2600 is nothing like a Oberheim SEM is nothing
    like a EMS Synthi AKS is nothing like a Buchla music Easlel ect. All mono all have osc's , filters and envelopes all sound different
    from each other. All have their strengths and weaknesses just like people thats why we love them they are ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The sum of their parts and more.

j.barleycorn, Devin, Ryan Lux and 5 others like this.
  5. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Yessss....we are the Mad Scientists!

Todd68 likes this.
  6. Totally right, but with limited funds one has to make a choice ;)

7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

If it was me on limited funds starting out I would get the Moog Grandmother. I think its the best sounding synth Moog makes
    besides the Model D and their Modulars. Its based circuit wise to some degree on the system 15 and sounds organic.
    It has patch points which allows one to expand the system with any 1/8 jack modular format.
    A nice sounding front end and controller expandable using Moog or any other euro kit.
    A kid with a fricking paper route could save for and afford that.

Todd68 likes this.
  8. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I had store credit following a guitar deal. I sat on it for some time and eventually decided on the Grandmother. I was blown away. It sounds sublime and is nicely paired with my Minimoog. I often run midi out of the GM to th Model D. The sequencer is amazing and super easy to use. The Grandmother is the deal out there if you ask me.

notesofachord and ArpMoog like this.
  9. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Right on.

Todd68 likes this.
  10. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, it’s on the way. I agonized over it all morning. Then ordered it and started stressing an hour later... but I’ve had a couple pops now and everything is well.

So excited. Been listening to every 70’s Moog track I can think of... (like I wouldn’t be anyway)

11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Dude. You are going to have so much fun with that thing.

12. notesofachord

Plus, it has a real spring reverb tank built into it. How insane and cool is that?!!

13. notesofachord

According to the inflation calculator, $1495 in 1971 dollars is > $9000 in 2019 dollars. Ouch. It makes you realize that the Moog One is actually very well-priced for what it is.

CPI Inflation Calculator

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

:p

15. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

That’s awesome, congrats! You’ve reinspired my own interest in finally getting a Moog. I haven’t really had my eyes on either of the older or newer Model D’s, although I’ve been looking at the Sub Phatty and 37’s with much interest and after yesterday I just learned of the Grandmother which looks awesome. Also, I’m considering the Behringer as I do like the idea of having a Mini but don’t really want to splurge so much on a synth that I’d only be using for fun at home.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  16. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

The Sub Phatty is a great little moog and has a little bit of grit to that sweet, sweet filter that I love, but....I would go for the Sub 37 if I had my time and cash again. Duophonic, three octaves, everything on the front panel....though there’s no denying the Grandmother is also an awesome bit of kit with that semi-modular character....I mean, ideally one of each would be nice. And a Moog One!

17. notesofachord

The Moog Grandmother has a great vintage tone, but be warned: the low pass filter is designed after a specific modular circuit that has a downside - the bass punch/depth gets cut significantly the higher that you turn up the resonance.

18. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Like every Moog Low Pass filter ever pretty much.

GowG and Devin like this.
  19. notesofachord

I suppose that’s right. On my Korg Arp Odyssey reissue that includes all three filters, the Moog infringement one (Mark II) exhibits that behavior as well.

20. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I had a Sub 37 and it was great. However, I like the old school sounds of the Grandmother and the lack of menu diving. Plus you can dig into the modular world a little. a Grandmother (with it's reverb and sequencer) would pair nicely with the DFAM and/or Mother 32. I prefer my Grandmother to the Sub 37, but totally understand why someone would think the opposite (presets). You really can't go wrong with Moog.

21. This video has a nice comparison between the Grandmother and '37 Moogs:

22. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

I have the Behringer Model D. Really great, fat-sounding synth for relatively few dollars. Highly recommended if money is an issue.

notesofachord and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

For some reason I still remember when Wendy (then known as "Walter") Carlos reviewed synthesizers for the Whole Earth Catalog, she derided the Mini Moog as "a real toy."

24. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

The Moog grandmother will be a classic I think. The filter is quite sumptuous and modelled after the filters found on their module beasts. There is also nothing better than on board spring reverb.

I'm still plugging the Oberhiem Ob-6 though.

25. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

The Ob-6 is a great poly. It was that or the Prophet 6 for me. Once I got the 6, it became hard to justify having both. I considered the module Ob-6 though. You never know! I love the P6! That's going nowhere.

tonewheeltom and dubious title like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.