New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future!

Perfect, thanks! (And yes, meant EU pressing!)

You make the Japanese pressing sound so appealing... :p

Leonthepro likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I wont deny I have my beef with Japanese pressings in general, it really is paying more for cooler packaging but worse sound, not just for new vinyl but older releases as well. Thats off topic though.

3. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Totally befuddled by how many folks quite strongly resist The Endless River. Imo the contributions of Richard Wright alone were worth it. Absolutely gorgeous piano work. Having extensively listened to every taped Floyd show in existence, as well as owning, the album imo sounds like exactly like the 3 of them. Which, also imo, is all I think it should do.

4. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Great answer.

5. The Endless River is a fine album, and it's a Floyd album. That's about it. I've really enjoyed it.

Vinny123, sathvyre, kendo and 7 others like this.
  6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

As I often mentioned, TER is closing the Pink Floyd story in a beautiful way. TMK, not a lot of bands had the opportunity to call it a day like Floyd did.

7. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I enjoy The Endless River more now that I have a stylus that can track Side 4 with the minimum of sibilance.

DPC likes this.
  8. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

9. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Found a cheap used BG 2016 Wall and just compared it to a first UK. The 2016 despite looking new was consistently noisier than it should have been, especially considering I gave it a clean. The first UK sounds considerably better. The UK makes you smile, makes your ears perk up and realize sadly that the 2016 is a sterile listen in comparison.

How utterly spectacular is Dave's guitar sound and rhythm playing in run like hell. Boy that was something to witness live, even in post Water's shows.

tedhead, Greenmonster2420 and rontoon like this.
  10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Probably the reason why you got it cheap......mine is extremely quiet.

Hattipper, Brian9229, zinan and 3 others like this.
  11. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Perhaps. I'm generally pleased with the quality of most new vinyl. I think QC is better now than it was in the glory days of vinyl, but this record looks new and has been cleaned ultrasonically, so really it suggests to me that the playback is not what is needs to be. More than that the 2016 BG sounded quite bland to me, kind of like a noisier CD.

12. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I loved listening to this for years and years. I love the lawnmower.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  13. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

So this is interesting. I didn't know there were non-BG mastered Wish You Were Here pressings from this 2016 campaign. I just checked my copy which I bought in the US and the hype sticker lists Bernie Grundman. However, the deadwax matches the Doug Sax mastering.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  14. Norco74

Yes the 2011 mastering by DS re-released for the 2016 campaign in North America. Not sure if the BG edition was finally repressed in NA. Got mine from the UK. Both sound great.

15. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Right, I get that. But the hype sticker incorrectly states who did the mastering.

Norco74 likes this.
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yep as Norco said the first US issues used the Sax plates. The sticker was incorrect. Later the US used the BG cut. They are actually quite different. Worth owning both.

17. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Lol I don't think my very simple point is getting across. Oh well. Whatever. Nevermind.

Norco74 likes this.
  18. Echoes Myron

Sorry I updated my post.

19. Norco74

Perhaps too simple and we tried to add some complexity to it! That happens...:D

Echoes Myron and musictoad like this.
  20. Echoes Myron

Nah this is the SHF after all. At the time of release there were about 15 pages of this thread dedicated to the inaccuracy of the hype sticker.

It is somewhere within the past 580 pages....

c-eling likes this.
  21. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

It was quite the controversy at the time. I got both to be sure.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  22. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

well we didn't see that coming...

To help celebrate the 25th anniversary of Pink Floyd's The Division Bell, a limited release of the album in translucent blue, heavyweight vinyl as a 2LP set, is coming on June 7th, 2019. It echoes the original limited blue vinyl release by Columbia Records in 1994.

Released on Pink Floyd Records (catalogue number PFRLP 31) it features the 2014 master by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and the late Doug Sax of the Mastering Lab, California.

The 2LP version of The Division Bell features full-length tracks throughout (the original 1994 vinyl release had tracks edited to fit onto 1 LP), a gatefold sleeve with four different images of specially-created heads, and two full-colour lyric/image inner bags.

It can be ordered through https://pinkfloyd.lnk.to/DB25

[​IMG]

23. Echoes Myron

24. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I usually don't bite when it comes to these types of eye catching novelties.........but I'll have a hard time resisting this one.

LeeGriffin, zinan and James Bennett like this.
  25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The Division Bell is the only PF album I don't have on vinyl. I need to rectify that, we shall see. Still bitter that they didn't release a standard Piper Mono.