Kubrick

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by averica, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

i realized i hadnt seen the bulk of the mans work...came across a box set containing seven films,only one of which ive seen (The Shining...many,many viewings)..it also includes Full Metal Jacket(ive seen parts of it but not all) and the following..A Clockwork Orange and 2001:A Space Odyssey(yea yea i know...films i SHOULDVE seen at this point in my life) and three ive heard of but know very little about...Lolita, Dr. Strangelove,and Barry Lyndon...
    let's hear opinions from you Kubrick fans on these films...the set is like 12 bucks so it's really a no brainer to get but still curious about some of the lesser known films it contains

2. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

He's at the top of his game on 2001 and Clockwork, IMO. All of his films are compelling in some way and all of them bear repeat viewings.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

“A Clockwork Orange”, “The Shining”, and “2001: A Space Odyssey” are my favorites. I didn’t care for “Barry Lyndon” at all.

Vidiot and KeninDC like this.
  4. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Love 2001. The bone-crushing scene where the bone turns into a spaceship is just so darn cool.

Peter Sellers steals Lolita.

Watched Clockwork so much back in the day and traded phrases with my droogies that I rarely need to watch it these days.

As far a s 'Nam films go, Full Metal is sorta "small," compared to, say, Apocalypse Now.

Ghostworld and Jack Lord like this.
  5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Spartacus is my favorite.

california_roll likes this.
  6. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

True, but the first half of FMJ at boot camp is brilliant and ranks with Kubrick's best work, or anyone's best work for that matter. The second half can't possibly keep up.

7. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

2001 and Clockwork are my favorites. I think FMJ is brilliant though.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Absolutely. First half and a little bit more. In fact, I really love it when they hit the ground in Vietnam to Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are Made for Walking." Incredible scene. Only the ending brings FMJ down a notch.

9. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

The ending is stellar. Three different women interact with the GIs. The first two are prostitutes, but the last is stone cold Vietcong.

conjotter and a customer like this.
  10. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

Barry Lyndon is akin to David Lean's Ryan's Daughter: atypical and low-scale, at least when compared to some of Kubrick's earlier work.

Had it been directed by someone else, I think folks would be far more appreciative.

I also believe both movies were beset by studio interference, sadly.

11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Barry Lyndon is a masterpiece.

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

True. I can see how some might find it cold or even boring, but the cinematography is among the best there is.

13. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

All these movies are absolutely worth watching, most are essential if you are interested in cinema as an artform. I would also add "Paths of Glory", my favourite anti-war movie and another masterpiece of filmmaking.

14. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Kubrick's FMJ second half scenes always struck me as more WWII than wide-open Vietnam. Maybe it is the UK sound stages he used, rather than genuine jungle or Asian city. I'll watch again, paying more attention to sexual metaphor.

spindly likes this.
  15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I love them all, but my favorite is "The Killing".

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

easy with the spoilers lol, op hasn't seen them,

PS id put nearly all these in the 5 star category. Dr Strangelove, Clockwork, 2001 are among cinemas finest.

polchik and KeninDC like this.
  17. Kubrick was a visual artist the likes of which there have been very few. (And, in my book, relying heavily on movie-making computer technology doesn't amount to a hill of beans!)

18. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

**** SPOILERS ****

It is unique for a Vietnam film in that it deals with an urban battle in the city of Hue rather than the jungle. Constant mayhem in the city with the goofy 33 Beer ad constantly in the background

And the final scene of them marching and singing the Mickey Mouse theme linked perfectly with the opening sequence on Paris Island.

Dude, it's art.

conjotter, unclefred and KeninDC like this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

kubrick = genius

Macman likes this.
  20. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

My favorites would be: The Shining, Dr. Strangelove and Eyes Wide Shut

joelee and Fastnbulbous like this.
  21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Twelve bucks is a no brainer. If you've never seen Dr. Strangelove, that one alone is worth more than $12.

22. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

My take on Barry Lyndon is that the weakness is due to the casting choice of Ryan O'neil. He doesn't really cut it. Still, a very good film.

23. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Agreed. O'Neil has been fine in other movies, but I have always found the choice of him for Barry Lyndon to be strange.

polchik, SRC and unclefred like this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't see why. He's supposed to be a good looking, not terribly bright Irish rascal - not Thomas Jefferson. Ryan O Neil has that boyish good looks, rugged build thats perfect for his immature, arrogant character and he's also "common" enough in speech that he might just be an unschooled Irish farm boy. The American accent came from the Irish. Maybe more of an Irish lilt would have helped, but some actors just can't pull it off. I alwayspoint to the very first scene of Robert Redford in "Out of Africa" where he appears for a minute at a train with tusks and has an awful British accent...which then vanishes for the rest of the film

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  25. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I also think that Ryan O’Neal pulls it off rather well. From naive, whimsical beginnings to a man out of his depth, his is a slow burn performance that ultimately leads to that one devastating scene (trying to avoid spoilers here) where his whole world falls apart. It takes time to get there, but the character development along the way makes it all the more emotional when it comes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.