P-mount compatibility?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leggs91203, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Marantz TT 170 which of takes a p-mount cartridge.
    I do not remember exactly what it had before but I replaced it with an AT92E.

Anyways, with p-mounts, would any p-mount also fit, like say an AT85ep or AT95e, just for examples?

I know there are different specs like frequency response and stylus shape but what about the physical fit of the cartridge itself? P-mounts universal or...?

Also on the subject, have the price of cartridges gone considerably? I paid like $27 for a new AT92E back in July 2017 but now the ones I find are listed for at least $39. Maybe I just got lucky or have hey gone up a lot?

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

Any pmount cartridge is compatible, also the T4P subset, with only Grado exceeding weight specs by a bit.

The AT92E (or AT92ECD sometimes), made in Japan, was discontinued a bit over a year ago after the previous year of price hikes, disappearing almost instantly from web stores. The only Audio-Technica p-mount option is a conical-tipped AT85, which is really sad.

Be mindful that the $39 price you are looking at is probably the website switching their listing over to shipping you to a Chinese AT85, I've seen a few vinyl sites doing that, read the fine print.

The Amazon $300-new merchant listings appear sold out, one $290 buy it now on eBay, both a bit crazy. I have a few NIB/NOS Japan ones I might sell reasonably, but it'd be nice to see them preserve a linear tracker.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  3. Leggs91203

I hope this doesn't sound too negative but it seems every time I learn something new about turn tables, it is more bad news. So much B.S. starts draining the joy of the vinyl hobby.

My old cartridge had a conical stylus and yeah, I remember hearing improved sound quality after installing the at92e which has an elliptical stylus.
    It looks like the AT95E has decent specs except a lower voltage output than the 92.
    So how often do cart prices "hike" and how often do they just discontinue? My deck doesn't need a new stylus any time soon, I was just window shopping.

I am thinking about getting a new turn table completely but then would it just be another wild goose chase dealing with BS and finding out things the hard way?

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Some things to know. Some turntables with T4p mount have some tracking force adjustment (1-1.5 grams usually the range). 6 grams mass is T4p compliant for non adjustable T4p mount tonearms, 1.25 grams tracking force. Audio-Technica cartridges are compliant with Panasonic's T4p mount specification. See if Jico has an elliptical stylus for your existing cartridge as they make excellent styli.

5. harby

harby Forum Resident

The AT95E is not a p-mount cartridge. Before also switching that line over to Chinese production, it was a .4x.7 elliptical (vs the .3x.7 AT92).

As p-mount turntables aren't being made, one has to wonder if it isn't calculated subterfuge to reduce market competition from older turntables that exceed the quality of current production.

McLover and zombiemodernist like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I don't think that is the problem. The problem is, T4p mount turntables were last produced in 2002, the year the Technics SL BD-20 ceased production. There is a replacement market for existing turntables. Which also means the newest such turntables are 19 years old. These cartridges are today special application items, instead of what Audio-Technica normally manufactures today. Audio-Technica has indeed switched production of their low end cartridges to China (as a way to keep prices down). This AT model and the Grado offerings in this mount are manufactured for the replacement marketplace. Grado has a reasonably complete line of Prestige series cartridges available in T4p mount, and otherwise no other options in current production.

7. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Yes to echo @McLover the T4P system is almost two decades dead. It’s a shame because the plug and play nature made this a very good entry level option. What’s left of the market is rapidly shrinking, and currently exists only to keep decks like yours functioning.

If cartridge availability and selection is a priority you, I would look towards getting a standard turntable with a 1/2” mount. The current 1/2” mount cartridge market is very diverse with options from under $20 all the way to over $20k. I think you’ll have much less frustration with the state of that market, but keep in mind you’ll need to learn to align a cart and set VTF and possibly antiskate and VTA manually.

8. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Vinyl can be a very rewarding hobby, but it is rather complex and you have to do your research. Unfortunately, the T4P style (p-mount) did not catch on universally after it's introduction. This probably has to do as much with timing of the T4P standard's introduction by Panasonic than anything else. For the majority of turntable users, T4P is a good idea that never was fully adopted. It probably did not stand much of a chance of being adopted by the high end users either. It's all just history now. There are many p-mount type cartridges available on the used market should you want to find one. Some of them are even new old stock. The AT92ECD was a particularly good buy sporting a .3 x .7 mil elliptical stylus. Unfortunately, those kinds of deals on good brand new p-mounts are also history. If you keep a look out, you can find deals on used p-mount cartridges on the auction site. Just do a search on "p-mount cartridge". It pulls up three full pages right now. There are plenty of choices. A used cartridge with a new stylus is a great option. Jico makes high quality replacement styli (plural of stylus). There are other "generic" styli available on the auction site, LPGear, and others.

As far as wild goose chases go, there will always be more things to learn and discover. That is part of the hobby. Don't let it get you down. The key is to ask questions. If you want to change to a simple integrated, complete package that gets you away from the p-mount issue, there are several choices under $300. For instance, there is a new Monoprice "Monolith" turntable that frequently sells for less than $200. However, I have a feeling a new turntable in that range is not going to sound any better than what you have already. I'm sure there are plenty of members here that will help you plan a good upgrade path when you are ready.

9. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Check out the listing for the Audio Technics ATU4000. Very similar to the AT92ECD in performance (price too!)

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

To OP, why do you need to change entire cartridge? Would you consider just replacing the stylus?

11. Leggs91203

Yeah I was about to ask that -
    come time to replace the stylus, how often would the rest of the cartridge need replaced? I am not against replacing JUST the stylus.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm sure this won't surprise you, but there are people who log "plays" and change according to some rule of thumb. I'm not a heavy vinyl guy and change mine once or twice a year, and usually only when SQ starts to drop off.

The reason I asked though is that it is cheaper, and there are a number of places to order these online. Many record stores also offer an array of needles too (I picked one up at Lunchbox Records recently in Charlotte for my P-mount cart).

13. Leggs91203

the entire cartridge has probably between 200 and 300 hours worth of play, based on being used a couple hours a week. Guesstimating. I do not log anything really, that would just make one more PITA chore out of something that is merely entertainment to begin with.

14. harby

harby Forum Resident

It should last a good deal longer than that. If you think the sound has changed, you can clean it every few records by a few gentle taps of the stylus tip into a bit of original Magic Eraser. It may seem like it would do nothing, but that's enough to clean buildup that forms around the shoulder of the stylus tip.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MM Cartridges unless damaged can last many, many years. Styli are consumable items (Jico can help keep your AT T4p mount alive with excellent replacement styli). I have several Shure MM cartridges which date from the 1960's, which are still in daily service, using Jico styli and the odd new old stock original stylus when I can find them.

arisinwind likes this.
  16. Jking3002

Jking3002 Forum Resident

@Leggs91203 if you need a new cart and not just a stylus, just get the AT85EP- it’s a still currently produced eliptical P-mount stylus. It’s pretty widely available for $40.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.