Moog minimoog model D

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry c., Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

The Wendy Carlos work on the Clockwork Orange soundtrack is what first opened my ears to anything Moog. Unless my numbers come in, a full on Moog Modular system is out of the question. So it was on to the Minimoog.

2. You and your thread have inspired me to take the plunge and get a Moog Grandmother. I just won one on eBay. I am psyched to learn how to have some fun with it.

Devin and TLMusic like this.
  3. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

I’ve owned an original Minimoog for over 25 years. I found it back when you bought gear in the newspaper. When I got it I was in heaven. A real Mini is just a sheer joy to play and hear. If you’ve got the $$$ and want one buy it. They hold their value too.

I finally demoed a Behringer D about a month ago and 1) it does NOT sound as good as the real deal and 2) it felt like I was playing with a toy when I started to twist knobs and work with it. I’ve seen bigger loaves of bread. The tactile interaction one has between a real Mini vs the Boog D is almost comical to compare. It’s like the difference in getting behind my ‘58 Hammond B3 & Leslie and comparing it to playing my Nord Electro. The Nord was and is still a nice (little ..size wise) emulation sonically. But that’s the end of it.

If you go vintage be prepared for occasional maintenance $$. The reissue is your best route. Do it. Life is short.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Todd68, Devin and FillmoreGuy like this.
  4. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

This fellow has never really mastered any instrument, but thanks to the simulated wares available in the iOS app store, I have (on my iPad Air 2) the apps that give me a virtual iMS20 from Korg, and a Model D from Moog. They are great fun and useful for the notion of sound design on the go, and there is a *lot* of flexibility built into these emulators. And neither one was even $50, so don't neglect the virtual, people!

Shawn likes this.
  5. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident Thread Starter

And..here it is. .. if there is anthing more beautiful than a minimoog, I don’t know what it is.

Kinda disappointed that I wasn’t rippin Wakeman solos out of the box... but it’s comin to me. Just hunting and pecking now.... but I’m kinda getting it.

I’ve kinda learned the riff to “flashlight” and most of Gary Numan’s “are friends electric”... more importantly, I’m beginning to understand how this thing works. I know this will sound dumb, but the tuning of the oscillators was a revelation.

Anyway, any doubts I had are gone. I’m thrilled ****less...and believe me, I had some regrets while it was on the road. I was thinking how dumb I was to be buying this thing when I couldn’t even play.

I thought I’d be playing “lucky man” by now... but soon..soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jerry c.

7. j.barleycorn

Congrats now start running that beauty through some of your vintage delay, phasers etc and prepare for brain melt.

8. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Congratulations! You will love it. Have fun!

9. Jerry c.

This thing is alive. I swear. Just dialed in emerson’s “Trilogy” patch and it just oscillates and pings and seems to have some kind of artificial intelligence.

10. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I woke up this morning and set up my Tweed Deluxe (vintage spec) to do some playing. I played my Tele for a bit then got out my forever R9 Les Paul out. I have had so many Les Pauls over the years (a stupid amount really), but this particular one is just magic. I am dialing in some amazing tone and really, just feeling great. After some time I think back to the OP's question about amps. I run my Minimoog into a stereo delay, modulation and reverb pedals. Then out to powered studio speakers (which are great). The stereo effect is great. However, I decide to run the Moog into my Tweed with the settings I have dialed in for the LP. It sounds huge. Love the warmth I'm getting from those tubes (6V6 love at that). Full on 70s prog bliss (FAT!). I really took it easy with the volume. The Mini can get really low and I am not looking to replace a speaker. Watched my filter sweeps too. Overall though, if you are careful .... wow! To the OP, congrats on the Minimoog. It is the key to the cosmos for me. I adore it. Have fun!

tonewheeltom likes this.
  11. Jerry c.

I set up last night thru 2 delays and a ‘64 fender concert 4x10

I was able to start learning the intro to “in the light” by zeppelin.

That’s a good one because there’s really not many bad notes.

Crungy likes this.
  12. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Haha! Exactly where I started.

13. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I had a Minimoog in house when the Behringer was coming up for release. I was completely blown away by the Moog but was spending some time online reading about the soon to be release $400 "Model D" from Behringer. Some of the synth forum people were relentless and quite frankly annoying. God forbid you say you were going to get a Moog instead. I have been on guitar forums for years and I never saw the rancour that the synth forums were displaying. Not everyone, naturally, but it was pretty frequent. When the "D" came out, the reoccurring theme was something like, "Ha, wait until all these Minimoog lovers realize that the D nails the Minimoog at a fraction of a cost. Those Moogs will be for sale everywhere. Suckers!" It was also fairly common to see video posts and such tossed in with comparisons. So the MiniMoog I had in house was gone and I was looking to buy my own. With all the Behringer buzz I figured why bother. Maybe they are on to something. For a fraction of the cost I will go that route and pocket a bunch of other stuff. The MM Reissue isn't cheap! I got the "Boog" and set it up. It sounded good. Really good actually. Still, I could not get it to react like the real deal (with such ease). I also couldn't fully get that bottom end to deliver in the same way the Moog did. Playing with it was no fun at all. It was so little and crowded. In the end, I really missed that Minimoog. So I got one. I kept the "Boog" to compare in house. It was close. It's not a bad device but it just was not an instrument in the same way that the Moog was. I had no use for it and I sold while the market was hot. I was inspired to play the Minimoog. It felt great. Layout is amazing. Build quality is super. No regrets. They seem to be holding value too (not that I will ever sell it). it is just a thing of beauty to see, hear and feel. The tactile response is the best. My buddy has a "Boog" and he loves it. I don't question his decision to get one. I get it. He doesn't question mine to get the real deal. The Minimoog is not the better deal, it is the better instrument though. That cost me a lot more, but I never looked back.

SlimLee, j.barleycorn and Pete Puma like this.
  14. j.barleycorn

I am amazed at how much complaining has revolved around the prices for vintage synth gear for years now. Certain models and of course many vintage analogs have been on an upward curve for 20 years or more. But what is widely just ignored or swatted aside is how much these instruments cost when they were first issued.

I also own an Oberheim OBXa (8 voice, 132 patch model). Those were about $5500 in ‘82. That was a lot of $$$ then.
    A nice clean used one currently could be had for $4-5K. I didn’t spend $5k for mine, but run an inflation calculator and it’s about $15k in today’s $$$.

Now granted a lot has changed the price/ performance curve in synths since the early 80s especially in regards to digital sound creation and control as contrasted to discrete analog circuits and devices, but in many regards if those vintage synths represent the sound you want they still are good value for $$$ as instruments today.

Now Behringer has been developing a clone of this for some time with no release in sight yet. Various synth forums have discussed this concept instrument with bated breath since Uli Behringer started his spin about eighteen months ago.
    Am I worried that when it does come out the demand or value for good XAs will plummet? No. Because there will still be demand for the originals and in many ways it might perversely create a bigger market for the originals.
    I hope it is a nice instrument and it will certainly be priced well below vintage units. But at the end of the day a Bogie won’t be an Obie. Just like the Boog wasn’t a Moog.

There’s just this ingrained entitled mindset that has developed due to the world of soft synths and so much other technology etc that everything can be had and/or acquired cheaply or for nothing.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Todd68 and Devin like this.
  15. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Coming from the world of quaility guitars, synths seem like a deal. Especially when some Custom Shop Fenders and Gibsons are well beyond $5k.

j.barleycorn and Devin like this.
  16. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I remember in the late 80s when the DX7 was king and you could get a used Minimoog for around $150 or so

j.barleycorn likes this.
  17. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Here is something to get you going. Bliss!

"For those concerned: there is no guitar on this album."

What? No Jeff!?

18. Philo

Philo Music Maven

I think it's likely too late, but let me point out virtual options:
    for IOS, Midi Guitar and the Moog Model D app. Very cheap way to get into these sounds, and with a guitar interface....

19. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

The Model D app from Moog is fun. I got it when Moog first released it. I'll mess with settings on there and copy them on the real deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.