Disney+, long-rumored Disney streaming service, launching in late 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

There most certainly are varying demographics that can sustain growth on either programming strategy. I can't help believe that, if MouseHouse wanted to take Netflix just for the market share, they'd find a way to position it so one image wouldn't challenge the other. "Disney+" vs. "Disnaughty", perhaps (and then watch their rates zoom...)

But frankly, I can't help think they'd rather keep separate for now, rather than worry about getting split up by a newly-empowered FTC just as they hit a new plateau (I can see things going towards more corporate-grinding and breakups in the future, if other things we also can't talk about begin to balance themselves in other ways.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Before streaming, did you only ever watch one TV channel or only one cable 'channel'? Like I said, there is room for both and probably a handful of top streamers in the market.

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

If Star Wars Episode IX isn't a pile of garbage like The Last Jedi then I will be getting Disney + for the Star Wars shows. If it is a piece of garbage like The Last Jedi I will not be bothering with any future Star Wars and just accept that the theatrical cuts of the Original Trilogy is my only Star Wars.

Jason Manley likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

At this price, they will get customers on board, this will take off from the get go. But they will have to keep adding content daily, keeping it evolving and a richer experience before the price hikes. It's those higher fees that are are going to expect later on that can cause folks to drop out unless the content just keeps improving. So the content is really going to have to keep adding up and not too many deletions along the way. But with 20th Fox library, there does seem to be a limitless library to draw from.

I'd like to see the PG-13, and R rated streaming material from the Fox library available on their other forthcoming channel.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The odds are good that it will be. I've already checked out.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think a lot of struggling households are going to say "Disney+ is cheaper than Netflix? That's all the kids watch. Let's cancel Netflix." When the kids are little --- they rule the TV. I can't tell you how much Barney I had to endure.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And... the Disney vs. Netflix war is heating up. Netflix' stock price went down today, and Disney went way up on the news of their Disney+ streaming service...

[​IMG]

The Streaming Wars Heat Up: Just How Big a Threat Is Disney+ to Netflix?

I know people working on the film who have seen rough cuts of The Rise of Skywalker, and I've heard just the opposite: that they were surprised by how good it was. One of them told me at NAB a few days ago, "it's the best Star Wars film made since Empire," which shocked me. But perhaps they don't have an objective point of view.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Now I really want to see a CGI remake of Raging Bull staring Mickey Mouse- "Raging Mouse".

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  9. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I have to say if Disney makes their content available for $6.99 a month, I'm in. Can you imagine being able to watch all of Disney's history?

I don't see it "killing" Netflix so much as giving us more content and encouraging Netflix to continue to develop their own. Netflix is still a great deal, and I won't be ending it anytime soon.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The content you get for the price point seems like a real bargain. I think people would've paid $20/month for it, really.

MikaelaArsenault and mj_patrick like this.
  11. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

"One of the big shifts for Disney in going “all in,” as Iger put it, on Disney Plus was the decision to make all of the classic Disney animated feature titles, starting with 1937’s “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” available on a permanent basis. In the past, Disney kept a certain number of titles on the shelf at any given time to build demand."

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  12. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Apple TV+

Let's copy that! Done.

Before long we'll probably have CBS+, HBO+, Starz+, Netflix+, Hulu+, etc. and Apple will have inexplicably won the mindshare game again.

13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Then after streaming ? what is next big thing?
    Smell o vision.. entertainment will hit brick wall..
    Maybe just people will do something unique read books and
    go into some kind of hobbies .. and ignore most of todays entertainment.?

14. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Any thoughts on Disney letting their DVD/BD titles go out of print in favor of the streaming service?
    Or limited editions of current/to-be releases (i.e. Toy Story 4) in-between the theatrical and streaming runs?

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I think if Disney finally stops providing physical releases, it'll slay the market for good.

So I certainly hope not.

apesfan, MrSka57 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

sounds like what theyre doing....no? ill sub once they add all the old 60's-70's movies to take a trip down memory lane....and the tv shows.

17. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

18. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I love the touch of having the picture of Murdoch in the trash.

Lownotes and Dugan like this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hell, I'll cough up $6.99 for a month to stroll down memory lane (but I bet there's a 30-day free trial. hehe.)

20. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Hey Man, The mouse ain't giving stuff away for free.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Umm HBO is part of WarnerMedia which is owned by AT&T. HBO is very valuable - they have arguably monetized their content better than anyone over the years.

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

oh I'm sure they'll give a free month....that's how they get you! as my dad used to say...well still does

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

There is absolutely nothing on this streaming service I want to watch. I have all of the classic animation & movies on Blu-ray & the “Star Wars-Marvel-Any Other Superhero Crap” hold absolutely no interest.

Deesky likes this.
  24. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Not even some of the original programming? This alone is one I want to see....

Walt Disney Imagineering Documentary Series

Disney has just announced the long-awaited but still untitled Walt Disney Imagineering Documentary Series will be part of the Disney+ streaming service. The upcoming series will be, “a Disney fan’s dream, this documentary series looks at the more than 65-year history of Walt Disney Imagineering through parallel storylines focused on the people, the craft, and the business.”

Disney has not confirmed this but it seems like this projected created by Leslie Iwerks is the same one that was teased at the 2015 D23 Expo. That project, which was called “The Imagineering Story” has been highly anticipated since then. When “The Imagineering Story” was announced in 2015 it appeared to be a film documentary, but now with this announcement, it seems as if the project has been expanded to a television series.

The new series will “feature exclusive interviews and never-before-seen footage from Disney parks around the globe.”

More here: https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/several-new-shows-announced-for-disney-streaming-service/

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

At which point, anybody who just renames their streaming service clearinghouse "Plus", is gonna clean up. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.