Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yeah, i foolishly skipped Blue Train because i had the Classic Records 33, and i did buy the Music Matters 33,
    but the Disk Union seems to go for crazy money, i could have flipped a copy!

For me personally, any title after about BLP 4050 just makes more sense in Stereo, since RVG had figured it out
    by then, and so i skipped the later Disk Union mono titles, and of course the Classic Records program was mostly
    mono as well, so there are some later ones i hope will get picked up by the Tone Poet series, or even if MM gets
    a crack at more.

I also think it would be fantastic for some contemporary Blue Note titles to get a nice premium vinyl reissue.
    For example, the trumpeter Takuya Kuroda's 2014 record, Rising Son, which i believe is a crappy rainbo pressing,
    sells for like $200+ in NM condition. That's just nuts. Some others are just really hard to find.

Takuya Kuroda - Rising Son (Vinyl, US, 2014) For Sale | Discogs

jasonsouza77 and mikeyt like this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It does. Cool!

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  3. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

I wasn’t satisfied with the earlier 45 mastering for True Blue - I sold it and got the 33. I think the more upfront presentation gels better on that title. The 45 had a diffuse quality to the overall soundstage I felt...

musictoad and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  4. AnalogJ

Some prefer the more up front presentation of the 33s, some prefer the more relaxed presentation, and generally deeper soundstage of the 45s.

Anselmo and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  5. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

that's a gd one. im wondering that as well. think I read somewhere of someone comparing the dblp mm and the original. he ranked the MM 1st and the dblp last

6. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Last night at around 1:00am, I listened to the JR Monterose album. Not sure I’ve even put it on once since I found it at a used record store a couple of years ago. Wow - what a great record! Wonderful writing, and playing. Philly Joe Jones’ drums sound particularly visceral on this release. I think it might be one of the best sounding Hackensack mono recordings. It’s still only $49.95 on the MM site. (No, I don’t work for MM!)

bkbk and timzigs like this.
  7. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

Oddly, on a whim, I too listened to this late night. Digital though. Anyone ever compare this to previous reissues?

8. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

NP: 1:30pm
    Pete La Roca – Basra 45 rpm LP
    Blue Note/Music Matters [MM]BST- 84205 (originally released 1965)
    tenor sax - Joe Henderson
    piano – Steve Kuhn
    double bass – Steve Swallow
    drums – Pete La Roca

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drkNRG, Stu02, Cardanken and 11 others like this.
  9. jasonsouza77

nice pics thanks 4 sharing. is that a mofi studio deck btw? :O

Carter DeVries likes this.
  10. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

I’m glad you’re enjoying them!
    My deck is the MoFi ultra deck model. It’s fantastic! Even the stock ultratracker cart is very good.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  11. jasonsouza77

okay.. it looks amazing. im sure it sounds even more amazing. my dream TT has always been a td160 or an LP12. currently using the sl1200LTD. hope to own a music matters jazz issue very soon. seems like I already own almost every other issue on the blue note roster. dmm, disk union dblp, Toshiba, king, liberty, nyc label and united artists. guess im missing the music matters classic AP and a couple others.

Carter DeVries likes this.
  12. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

The Acoustic Sounds Blue Train was stereo (early RVG stereo with no center), the MM 33 Blue Trains are mono. Rudy hadn't quite got his stereo presentation down at the time of this recording.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  13. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

There are a few other titles in this series that were released on other labels, but are now under the Universal umbrella. Like the magnificent Lawrence Marable Quartet featuring James Clay record, Go Man! by Sonny Criss on Imperial records, and my personal favorite, Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill by Donald Byrd pictured below that was originally released on Transition records.

[​IMG]

mikeyt, Stu02, timzigs and 2 others like this.
  14. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yes, there are at least 8 titles, i have a PDF of the promo from DiskUnion

DELP-001 Doug Watkins, Watkins At Large
    DELP-002 Donald Byrd, Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill
    DELP-003 John Windhurst, Jazz at Columbus Ave
    DELP-004 Art Pepper, Modern Art
    DELP-005 Chet Baker, Chet Baker Sings
    DELP-006 Lawrence Marable, Tenorman
    DELP-007 Serge Chaloff, Blue Serge
    DELP-008 Sonny Criss, Go Man!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jasonsouza77, AaronW and btf1980 like this.
  15. G E

G E Senior Member

I finally pulled the trigger on my mmj shopping basket. The list kinda grew. I was just going to get a few and even asked for suggestions here. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

The titles are: Golden 8, jazz messengers cafe Bohemia vol .1 ( have vol 2) back down to $50, undercurrent 33, Blakey SrX free for all and Candy 33

Blakey Big Beat arrived from elusive disc earlier this week. They had it $40 and a fiver to ship. Arrived perfect shape.

So lots of platters to spin the next couple weekends.

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Ugh I would murder someone for that Chet Baker sings

17. I’m getting really frustrated with MMJ. My last order of SRX had two discs with visible defects, but only one had noise. I reached out with photos this Monday. I didn’t receive a reply until Tuesday afternoon and was told they need pictures that include the label to send to the factory. I retook the photos Tuesday to include the labels. I have followed up each day since and cannot get a reply.

I have a full cart and was waiting to see how this played out before pulling the trigger. Well MMJ is again living up to their reputation of terrible customer service. At this point I’m going to buy these titles elsewhere that I know have a half way decent return policy. And if I don’t hear back from MMJ next week I will dispute the charge with my CC company. This is BS.

While I have had positive experiences with MMJ customer service previously, this will likely prevent me from ordering from them again. Buyer beware. I guess they are OK selling records with a scratch across half a side and another with visible defects that sound like they could yank my stylus right off my cart. That disk will never be played again.

They just lost a $300 order from me and likely more down the line.

18. kay bee

kay bee Well-Known Member

Need an accomplice? Maybe we will be lucky enough to see this as a Tone Poet release in the future. I recall someone (maybe Joe?) saying that the Pacific Jazz stuff is up for grabs in that series. Then again, I have no clue about the status of those tapes.

19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yes! Joe was being somewhat cagey about what exactly from pacific jazz they would release but it’s gotta be some Chet! Here’s hoping the tapes are in decent condition.

Joe Harley, DeRosa and kay bee like this.
  20. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I've been picking up a few of the MM titles I've had my eye on, before they become unobtainable. One that I was still able to get for the original price from Elusive Disk is Lee Morgan Vol. 3, and I listened to the first half earlier tonight. Wow--this is one of the best sounding Blue Notes I've heard. Gigi Gryce's alto, in particular, sounds almost uncannily present in the room. A big thumbs up on this one for both music and sonics.

Cervelo and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  21. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I just picked this one up too based on the recommendations here, and couldn't agree more. It sounds fantastic and the horn interplay among Gryce, Golsen, and the teenage Morgan, is adventurous. Has a bit of uniqueness and personality to it that steers it clear of being a typical hard bop record too.

I also picked up Destination...Out! over at Elusive Disc which is currently $25 cheaper than on the MMJ site. Immersive, more angular bop as most of you know :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    musictoad and NorthNY Mark like this.
  22. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Except this isn’t a rule.

For example, Larry Young”s Unity on 33 has a bit less top end than the 45.

True Blue is an example where the 45 is more dynamic and does make the case that cutting at 45 could in some cases have its advantages. I would not, however, describe the 33 as “up front.” It has a bit more air, but they really are not that different.

23. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Man, I just cannot get into Grachan Moncur III’s Evolution. It checks all the boxes as something I should like on paper. Original material, post-bop and experimental. Nice sound.....

But i just don’t think it all comes together to make a classic. McLean being as sharp as he is on some of the softer sections is a bit trying. Morgan plays great on the record. As does Hutcherson. But I have played the album 3 times in full over the past couple of weeks and I am not sure there will be a 4th. At least for a while.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Ah man, that's one of my top 3 out of the 20 I own!

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

Keep in mind that each copy can also sound different from each other. I have two copies of the 45 of Song For My Father that sound different from each other. So many variables to vinyl playback. I don't recall that the 33 of Unity being less bright than the 45 when I compared them, but there was greater spaciousness and ease to the 45.