Spin Clean's cloth leaving lint

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Positively Vinyl, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Positively Vinyl

Positively Vinyl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

So when i first bought it, I washed it in the washing machine and the cloths left lint. Then I tried to hand wash it and the result was the same. Finally today I also washed it in the washing machine but this time with hot water..... well it is still leaving lint. Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

How much lint are we talking about? Obviously zero is the goal, but I’m wondering if you’re seeing like one or two little specks coming off each cloth, or if they’re shedding profusely?

3. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

I experience the same thing intermittently. I find that applying the lest possible pressure on the record (with the cloth) helps. I dry mine by laying them on microfiber cloths and lightly rubbing the Spin Clean sloths on top.

Steelymark and Big Blue like this.
  4. I'd hand wash them instead of putting them in a washing machine. Who knows what gunk they pick up in there, and residue from detergents and/or bleach. Plus unless you have a truly 'gentle' wash setting, I don't see how these somewhat flimsy clothes would do in a washing machine.

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s not a bad suggestion, especially since what you are washing out of them is mainly the diluted cleaning solution that you dried off of the records, not really heavy soil that needs agitation. I think one could even still machine dry them, if one is confident in the cleanliness of ones dryer.

I have machine washed and dried mine, and haven’t had a notable lint issue. However, I think you are correct to point out the possible presence of residues in a washing machine, and I myself may go to hand washing them.

The OP still had lint after hand washing, but I almost wonder if that wasn’t still lint knocked loose by the initial machine wash? Maybe?

Shawn likes this.
  6. Positively Vinyl

it depends actually but its a lot..

7. Positively Vinyl

I will try this

8. irender

irender Forum Resident

I lay the washed records on a dedicated bath towel and wipe lightly with the spin clean cloths. The bath towel and the cloths are rinsed in a basin with distilled water wringed out and air dried. I don't use the washer and drier because there has to be residue in both from detergents and fabric softeners. I have never had a problem with lint.

Big Blue and Shawn like this.
  9. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Mine leave lint on the records too. Once dry, I put the album on my turntable and use my Hunt brush to get the lint off of both sides. Its just part of my ritual when I clean records now

David Campbell likes this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Big Blue and Shawn like this.
  11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not abrasive at all. I’ve wiped down lenses, CDs, Blu-rays, etc.

Big Blue, bluesaddict and Shawn like this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Is this the record you were cleaning...?
    [​IMG]

Daddy Dom likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

send it back.

15. harby

harby Forum Resident

I wish you could have found this first:

16. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I've used mine for about three years now without washing...the only thing they touch is a clean record with distilled water, so I don't see a reason to wash them. I suppose I will eventually, but plan to wash by hand when I do. I've never had a serious lint problem when using the cloths to dry...

irender and Shawn like this.
  17. irender

irender Forum Resident

I only wash the towels to wipe off the cleaning fluid every time. The towels I use for drying the rinse every 2-3 cleaning sessions. Store the dry towels in a plastic bag to keep away from dust.

18. You are hand drying with a towel. There will be some amount of lint behind. What else would you expect?

I’d recommend picking up a cheap vac machine like the 3D printed ones on eBay, the KL Audio, or a record doctor V. The investment is worth it multiple times over IMHO.

Shawn likes this.
  19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have found that the older, thinner clothes that came with the SC circa 2012 left a lot of lint on the LPs. However, the newer ones that are thicker and more sturdy don't seem to leave any at all. I have read elsewhere that these clothes are nothing more than the gauze used to sop up blood during surgery (I know, gross.) If that's true, I wonder if these can be sourced through a medical supply house cheaper, or perhaps better quality?

20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

They seem fluffier than gauze, but maybe that would be a suitable alternative, anyway?

21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Perhaps. I dunno - there are loads of complaints about the supplied cloths, but I keep coming back to them. I didn't have great results with Microfiber cloths and someone suggested cloth diapers as the ultimate solution. In regards to the latter, I bought a pack and found that all they did was push the fluid around the LP. However, I do have a pack of diapers in my man-cave now, which is quite the conversation piece!

Big Blue likes this.
  22. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I haven’t used mine a lot of times yet, but the supplied cloths work great so far. The only lint has been when I caught one of the cloths on a rough edge (is it really that hard to press a record cleanly?), which wasn’t so much lint as torn-up cloth.

johnny q likes this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don’t think I’ve ever started a cleaning session without first pouring myself an IPA. ;)

Optimize and johnny q like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.