Record Store Day...What nonsense!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by disraeli, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disraeli

disraeli Forum Resident Thread Starter

I mean...

-Most of the important titles see a general release shortly after.

-It’s all about supporting “local indies” while look at all the EBAY flipping.

What am I missing here?

milankey, Dog Ear, bpmd1962 and 12 others like this.
  2. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

You don’t have to like it, but it’s not all about flippers. I have friends who own stores and it’s a very big day for them. Yes, they put out a lot of dough to stock it, but you do get people in today that might not go into a record store the rest of the year.

3. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Love it or hate it, it's def a nerdy/niche thing. The 20 year old me would have got up and waited in line for hours at 7am. (With no guarantee the item(s) i want aren't already SOLD OUT when i finally get inside the door.). The current 50 year old me will pay ebay flippers a reasonable amount for my time to not have to wait in line. Delivered to my door in a few days? :righton:

4. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

No concerns with the selection this year and there are exclusives that get me out of bed but appears quality is taking a hit. Not how I would promote indie stores but maybe customers just dont care about sound and never open these RSD releases.

heathen likes this.
  5. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

You’re missing nothing. It’s basically Beanie Babies for record collectors.

6. Django

Django Forum Resident

You can't blame the shops for the flippers?

7. disraeli

disraeli Forum Resident Thread Starter

It’s not that I don’t like it, RSD just doesn’t make sense on so many levels.

I love my local record store. I love the experience of looking through those bins for just one more gem.

But speaking of the owners you refer to...ever see how many titles your local retailer is stuck with?

My store owner had many...weeks and months later the last time around And, he can’t return them and yes, that bites into profits.

As I said, RSD is really a bunch of long lines, hype...and nonsense.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The consumers are flipping the records. The event is for indie stores to get people to cross their thresholds. Most people think RSD is a big reason that vinyl has made a comeback. If the OP doesn't like that people are flipping records, too bad. I don't like that records cost over $25. I'm still buying them.

9. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

There is only one record store in my area that participates in RSD. They have plenty of records from years past that they can’t seem to move. One of the owners had commented to me about not participating in it anymore saying that it wasn’t worth it.

I don’t think RSD is nonsense ;however, I would personally like to see it change. I have gone for the last several years just to look and I can’t afford any of it. Not to mention that what’s being offered isn’t anything I want.

10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

I never buy RSD vinyl.

Lyndon Perry and Dale A B like this.
  11. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

RSD sucks thread #1,000

pwhytey, bootbox, supermd and 26 others like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can't stand the queuing up and not getting the records I've queued up for aspect of it. They simply don't press enough. Every store I spoke to this week had got nowhere near the amount of Dylan LPs they ordered. Press more of them! It's obvious that some of the records will sell vastly more than what they press. That kind of thing has nothing to do with loving music, records and record shops. It just annoys music fans. After this I won't be bothering with RSD again. I've given it a miss a few times in the past and that's not bothered me at all.

13. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

14. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

The first 3,000 threads asking/saying the same thing?

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

But a lot about it does. It's not as if we don't have loads of repetitive Beatles, McCartney, Zep, Floyd etc threads here. That's just the nature of a worldwide music forum with many members.

16. My biggest dislike is that many stores don't order (or can't get) all of the titles. For example, I ran to three different stores looking for the Peter Gabriel "Rated PG" vinyl. Couldn't find it anywhere and I refuse to pay double the list price for the album on Ebay.

It's really unclear to me why a store wouldn't order these titles and realize that they would, indeed, move. Peter Gabriel would be a no brainer particular if you factor in the previously unreleased nature of many of these mixes/tracks. Limiting it to 2000 copies (I'm assuming in the U.S.) isn't ideal (I think 5,000 is a more realistic number) also is rather foolish.

When I went to Rasputin's originally to preorder this title I was also told that there was a chance they couldn't even get it (which I realize) but, given the limited amount of titles I was interested in, it feels more like a bait and switch to me. I found nothing this year that really interested me except the "Life of Brian" picture disc and they only had one copy of that.

GerryO and Man at C&A like this.
  17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Today was my first time in a while and I enjoyed it :cheers:

18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Yawn.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  19. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

I sat in the parking lot across the street, saw the line and heard the (loud) local acoustic artist playing Dylan and realized that the BOOT Test press and Floyd mono would be long gone by the time I got in, and left.

I333I and JoeF. like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I enjoyed last years and got some great non RSD vinyl too. I got some today aswell. I do like that it gives independent record stores a very strong trading day each year, but it could make them even more and not disappoint thousands of people by getting the quantities pressed and the distribution of them better.

cporcp, Timothy Fiacco and lightbulb like this.
  21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Did I miss the Balloon Drop!?

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

My issue with it all is that it's become sort of a black friday for vinyl collectors. Get on line hours before the store opens, elbow past the other shoppers when you get in, race for the goodies - ugh.

I went to a thing called the Second Saturday record show in Wayne, NJ today. Had a very pleasant time, found a few nice pressings that looked good, didn't spend all that much. No lines, band playing, snacks and coffee - awesome. That's how to spend RSD!!

unclefred, andrewskyDE, L.P. and 3 others like this.
  23. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

That sounds awesome actually.

hutlock likes this.
  24. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I agree. RSD is pretty boring.

Christian Hill likes this.
  25. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

I’m old enough to remember when there were special RSD CD’s that were sold on this day (have an Iron and Wine live CD from an RSD for instance.) I’m also in the camp that paying $25 for a vinyl record is kind of insane.

frightwigwam, L.P., smoke and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.