Hey You Rude Boy! It's the Two Tone and related thread (release by release).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Colocally, May 14, 2018.

1. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

That's one of my memories of this 7" - going to the 1st year disco, girls wearing batwing jumpers and me taking this record up to the DJ for him to play, then me and my mates doing the skinhead moonstomp :D

If I remember correctly Mr Toothy was a mate of The Specials called Chalky

2. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

Wasn't there Chalky and Toks associated with Madness. Was it Chalky doing the head butt dance with Chas to Swan Lake in the film? Wonder if it is the same bloke? Memories!

marmalade166 likes this.
  3. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys Thread Starter

I just got my first Bad Manners product in about 38 years.
    [​IMG]

Bad Manners - Special Brew

Shame it doesn't have Lip Up Fatty on it, or for that matter, Walking In The Sunshine.

Still, it is the first thing I have bought of theirs since Lorraine in 1980.

OneStepBeyond and heliocentric like this.
  4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

[​IMG]

Saw this in the newsagent today

5. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

Thanks for the heads up. £8.99 though!

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Colocally

I have this one for the 25th anniversary. I doubt the one above will make it over to Canada and if it does it would be prohibitively expensive.

[​IMG]

Natural E and Kernow Boy like this.
  7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Yes, I picked it up today. These special editions are usually more expensive than the basic monthlies. I haven’t looked at it yet, but I’ve liked the Uncut archive magazines in the past.

8. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

SDE reports today that;

Chrysalis Records are planning a campaign of 2 Tone remasters and reissues and are starting with a 40th anniversary half-speed mastered 2LP vinyl edition of The Specials 1979 self-titled debut album.
    www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/specials-half-speed-mastered-2lp-vinyl

I don't need this title as a 2LP, but I'm certainly interested in what else the 'campaign' involves...

9. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Could be worth keeping an eye on but like you said not sure about the 2lp?

10. heliocentric

11. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Not sold on half speed masters, and 90 notes for 12 re-issued singles? Nah.

marmalade166 likes this.
  12. Colocally

After 40 years I finally got a copy of Too Much Pressure. And it’s the Canadian version which includes On My Radio :)

13. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

While we're up, what of that 10" single with the dub version of "Gangsters" etc that was coming out for Record Store Day?

Cereal Killer likes this.
  14. heliocentric

Well I was wrong about the half speed master of Specials, so glad I bought it. Looking forward to hopefully grabbing Dance Craze and This Are Two Tone which are part of the 1st record store day drop. Not sure if the 10” is due then as well.

neruda and hutlock like this.
  15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah those were on my list too. Hoping I can still get hold of them.

Cereal Killer and heliocentric like this.
  16. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Great album isn't it? Very strong material all the way through and James Bond is good fun too. The cassette I had at first soon after release had a black shell on one side and white on the other - always thought that was very cool. I belive that was the norm for one or two other Two Tone releases on tape around that time.

The LP I have these days is a reissue on the Obscure Alternatives label (also has On My Radio) and is black and white splatter vinyl - the only splatter vinyl record I've ever owned. It's not the reason I bought it... I was looking for a nice clean copy and saw it in the Two Tone/music museum here in Coventry (where they and The Specials are from) and it is signed by Pauline Black and Arthur Henderson. How could I resist? I've spent far worse £30s... after 2 years, I am still buzzing with it. :D

(Sorry if I mentioned this before - I was off the forum for quite some time and only have my phone to visit here these days..)

17. Colocally

I had most of the album for years on a compilation Selecter CD and have heard the album before, but this is the first time I have actually owned it. Was a pretty good day Saturday, managed to get not just TMP but also Canadian copies of The Gift by The Jam and Internationalists by The Style Council. All three have been on my vinyl wish list for a long long time.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    OneStepBeyond and heliocentric like this.
  18. Colocally

One extra bonus, was the guy who sold me these records threw in a copy of One Step Beyond for free, I just looked and although I think the copy I have is better, the new one has the inner sleeve, so that has now been put in my best copy. :)

19. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the Gangsters 10" too. Not much news about it. And I wish it'll be a 12" instead

20. slopduck

slopduck Forum Resident

The Dub Pistols just dropped a new single “Stand Together” featuring Rhoda Dakar on vocals and it’s a amazingly timely anthem, I really hope this gets good promotion because it’s an excellent track.

OneStepBeyond, Colocally and SteveFff like this.
  21. millaa

millaa Well-Known Member

Isn't the item meant to look like an old 1960's Jamaican 10"? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

I'm looking forward to this. I've just read the label and says 'recorded and mixed 1979'. So not a new mix as suspected. https://s3.amazonaws.com/broadtime_thumbnails/657/418462492657/418462492657:800.jpg

This has been moved to the October RSD day. It looks like Dance Craze and This Are Two Tone are in for Sept.

22. Colocally

Today, for the first time in about 39 years I own a copy of I Just Can’t Stop It on vinyl. Canadian copy with both sides of the Two Tone single on it. I also got a copy of the North American version of What Is Beat which although not having the dub version of Margaret still has about 8 tracks not on the three core albums.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  23. django68

django68 Forum Resident

4th September
    CD (Two Tone "The Albums")
    Territories
    Worldwide ex. Canada, United States
    UPC
    Units Per Set 8
    Retail Price £32

SPECIAL PACKAGING/LIMITED EDITION/LIMITED EDITION QTY/PACKAGING TYPE:

No / No / N/A / 8CD BOXSET – Bespoke boxset containing 8 original 2Tone albums, with original artwork on mini LP-style sleeves and a 24 page booklet with sleeve notes by Jason Weir and Peter Walsh.

TRACK LISTING
    Disc 1
    1. A Message To You Rudy / 2. Do The Dog / 3. It's Up To You / 4. Nite Klub / 5. Doesn't Make It Alright / 6. Concrete Jungle / 7. Too Hot / 8. Monkey Man / 9. (Dawning Of A) New Era / 10. Blank Expression / 11. Stupid Marriage / 12. Too Much Too Young / 13. Little Bitch / 14. You're Wondering Now

Disc 2
    1. Three Minute Hero / 2. Everyday / 3. They Make Me Mad / 4. Missing Words / 5. Danger / 6. Street Feeling / 7. My Collie (Not A Dog) / 8. Too Much Pressure / 9. Murder / 10. Out On The Streets / 11. Carry Go Bring Home / 12. Black and Blue / 13. James Bond

Disc 3
    1. Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think) [2015 Remastered Version] / 2. Man At C&A (2015 Remastered Version) / 3. Hey, Little Rich Girl (2015 Remastered Version) / 4. Do Nothing (2015 Remastered Version) / 5. Pearl's Cafe (2015 Remastered Version) / 6. Sock It To 'Em J.B. (2015 Remastered Version) / 7. Stereotypes/Stereotypes - Pt. 2 (2015 Remastered Version) / 8. Holiday Fortnight (2015 Remastered Version) / 9. I Can't Stand It (2015 Remastered Version) / 10. International Jet Set (2015 Remastered Version) / 11. Enjoy Yourself (Reprise) [2015 Remastered Version]

Disc 4
    1. Concrete Jungle (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 2. Mirror In The Bathroom (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 3. Lip Up Fatty (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 4. Razor Blade Alley (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 5. Three Minute Hero (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 6. Easy Life (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 7. Big Shot (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 8. One Step Beyond (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 9. Ranking Fullstop (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 10. Man At C & A (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 11. Missing Words (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 12. Inner London Violence (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 13. Night Boat To Cairo (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 14. Too Much Pressure (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster) / 15. Nite Klub (Live / 2020 Half Speed Remaster)

Disc 5
    1. Easy Snappin / 2. Fiesta / 3. Chang Kai Shek / 4. Stay Out Late / 5. Red Top / 6. X / 7. Ganja / 8. That Man Is Forward

Disc 6
    1. Destroy Them / 2. We Want Peace / 3. Jam Rock / 4. Some Day / 5. Distant Drums / 6. Love And Justice / 7. Java / 8. Do The Reload / 9. Easter Island

Disc 7
    1. Gangsters (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 2. Madness (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 3. On My Radio (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 4. Tears Of A Clown (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 5. A Message To You Rudy (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 6. Too Much Pressure (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 7. Too Experienced (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 8. Ranking Full Stop (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 9. Too Much Too Young (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 10. The Selecter (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 11. Stereotype (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 12. Mantovani (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 13. Do Nothing (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 14. Jungle Music (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 15. The Boiler (2020 Half-Speed Remaster) / 16. Ghost Town (2020 Half-Speed Remaster)

Disc 8
    1. Bright Lights (2015 Remastered Version) / 2. The Lonely Crowd (2015 Remastered Version) / 3. What I Like Most About You Is Your Girlfriend (2015 Remastered Version) / 4. Housebound (2015 Remastered Version) / 5. Night On The Tiles (2015 Remastered Version) / 6. Nelson Mandela (2015 Remastered Version) / 7. War Crimes (The Crime Remains The Same) [2015 Remastered Version] / 8. Racist Friend (2015 Remastered Version) / 9. Alcohol (2015 Remastered Version) / 10. Break Down The Door (2015 Remastered Version)

SALES/MARKETING/PROMO POINTS
    • Bespoke boxset containing 8 original 2Tone albums, with original artwork on mini LP-style sleeves and a 24 page booklet with sleeve notes by Jason Weir and Peter Wals
    • The artwork has been overseen by label founder Jerry Dammers.

Album List
    1.THE SPECIALS ‘SPECIALS’ [1979]
    2.THE SELECTER ‘TOO MUCH PRESSURE’ [1980]
    3.THE SPECIALS ‘MORE SPECIALS’ [1980]
    4.VARIOUS ARTISTS ‘DANCE CRAZE’ [1981]
    5.RICO ‘THAT MAN IS FORWARD’ [1981]
    6.RICO ‘JAMA RICO’ [1982]
    7.VARIOUS ARTISTS ‘THIS ARE TWO TONE’ [1983]
    8.THE SPECIAL AKA ‘IN THE STUDIO’ [1984]

OVERVIEW
    TWO TONE RECORDS was created in 1979 by The Specials founder Jerry Dammers. The label spawned a youth movement and a number of well-known artists and singles throughout its tenure including the aforementioned Specials with key singles ‘Gangsters’ and the UK Number 1 singles ‘Too Much Too Young’ and ‘Ghost Town’. They also helped launch the careers of Madness with ‘The Prince’, The Beat with ‘Tears of A Clown’, The Selecter with ‘On My Radio’ and The Bodysnatchers with ‘Let’s Do Rocksteady’. The label ended its chart run of singles with ‘Nelson Mandela’ by The Special AKA.

This 40th Anniversary 8CD Collection contains the first 8 albums released on the label, with offerings by The Specials, The Selecter and Rico, along with the sought-after live concert album ‘Dance Craze’ and the ‘This Are Two Tone’ which includes a host of non-album releases.

24. heliocentric

I wonder what version of Specials is being used?

25. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Holy crap, this looks awesome. But what’s with the “Worldwide ex. Canada, United States”? Does that mean it will be available everywhere except for the US and Canada? Hope not, I really want this!