Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Suppose
    Written By :
    George Goehring & Sylvia Dee

Recorded :
    MGM Studios, Hollywood, June 20-21, 1967: June 20, 1967. take 7

This is a nice piano ballad, that to some degree reminds me of some of Elvis' mid seventies tracks. It is more stripped back musically, but it has a feel that lines up with those tracks to my ears.

Tord, Revelator and RSteven like this.
  2. Love Goin’ Home. Something uplifting about it. Although surprised they left Elvis’ mic up in the final mix for those first 10 seconds or so of the song (papa um mow mow).

Brian Mc and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Agree that this reminds me of Elvis’ mid 70’s material, and it would have fit nicely had he recorded it in 1974-5 on Today. While not a favorite of mine, this track seems a cut above a lot of the movie material from the mid 60’s to Speedway.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

Speedway ends up being, to me at least, a very good album. I actually don't dislike the Nancy song, and I pointed out the vocal because it surprised me, I wasn't trying to start a thing ...

I think there are a lot of strong tracks, and I also think this album reflects the fact that Elvis should have been recording in a proper recording studio, and not some move soundstage. The movie companies weren't taking him very seriously as an actor, so in reality they shouldn't have stunted his music by being so cheap. It isn't as if his earlier movies hadn't made them a ton of money... and frankly any company doing everything on the absolute bare bones cheap, can't expect to have a product that many will value ... cheap scripts, cheap sets, cheap songs, it, in my opinion reflects much worse on the movie companies than it should Elvis, but unfortunately this era put a black mark against Elvis in a lot of people's minds, and it sort of makes me angry to be honest. I personally like a lot of the soundtrack work, but it is undeniable that all those cheapness factors put in place by the movie companies weren't exactly helpful.
    As one not super familiar with Elvis' movie career, it seems for the most part his movies made everybody a good profit, So again just to me, from an after the fact perspective, I can't justify that whole cheapness thing

Iceman08, RSteven and Shawn like this.
  5. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Ahh yes. Another song recorded during the infamous January '68 session. Elvis wasn't usually so vocal about his dislike for songs but he is extremely so here:

ELVIS PRESLEY - OUTTAKES GOIN HOME

6. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Could never care less about this song but then I listened to the mono version on the Speedway FTD and it sounded altogether more solid and I dug it...

7. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I've heard of Elvis' dislike for "Goin' Home" before, but I adore it. A favorite, in fact. It makes me happy. "Suppose" is decent.

Iceman08, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I hate to admit it, but that might be my favorite part of the performance. I should like this song more because of it's nice sentiment, but I find the melody of Going Home to be plodding and slightly pedestrian. It seems so redundant melodically in the verses.

I agree with you and Mark wholeheartedly about Suppose as it would have fit in nicely with his 70's studio albums. Elvis's vocal performance is sincere and sounds beautiful to my ears.

Revelator, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  9. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Goin' Home always reminds me of John Stewart, whose 1969 song July, You're A Woman Elvis (according to John Wilkinson) would sing in the dressing room before going on stage.

RSteven, mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  10. mark winstanley

11. mark winstanley

Oct 10 1967
    Clambake - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Guitar Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    full take with What's I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Clambake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Who Needs Money Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 House That Has Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Confidence Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Hey Hey Hey Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 You Don'tKnow Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Girl I Never Loved Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 How Can You Lose What You Never Had Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Big Boss Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Singing Tree Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Just Call Me Lonesome Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 3 1968
    Guitar Man/ Hi Heeled Sneakers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 22 1968
    Elvis Golden Records Vol 4

Feb 27 1968
    U.S. Male/Stay Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 26 1968
    You'll Never Walk Alone/ We Call On Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 21 1968
    Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby/ Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 26 1968
    Speedway
    track 1 Speedway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 There Ain't Nothing Like A Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Who Are you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 He's Your Uncle Not Your Dad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Your Groovy Self Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Five Sleepy heads Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Western union Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Goin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Suppose Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    interview 72 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

12. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

I like Goin' Home! I don't think Elvis was too upset with the song, considering he did 30 takes to get the M.

Having Jerry back in the studio was a reminder about the publishing fiasco imo. Well, the good news, Jerry came back to help out with U.S.Male.

13. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

El did 30 takes but the majority were false starts. He was apparently on a lot of uppers which explains his hyper attitude. And having Jerry Reed there with him I believe prompted him to use a lot of off-color remarks.

That said, the finished recording of Goin' Home does have an excellent vocal!

14. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Agree with "the finished recording of Goin' Home does have an excellent vocal!" comments.

mark winstanley and Hooperfan like this.
  15. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Goin' Home is ok but in melody, it "borrows" noticeably from "Singing the Blues" which actually would have been a cool song for Elvis to do. That song could have fit in nicely in about half of his movies at some point in the plot.

Guy Mitchell - Singing the blues (1956)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Speedway marks the end of an era in a great many ways. The slow, gradual decline of record sales and box office receipts finally reached the point where even Elvis's management realized they had to do something and make changes. Speedway is the final musical light romantic comedy he did. Subsequent movies either eschewed romance or took on a somewhat more realistic and adult tone in how they dealt with it. And as noted, Speedway was the final time Elvis recorded on a soundstage. There was a definite attempt to upgrade the quality of the music for his later films, bringing in new musicians for the first time in years, as well as Billy Strange to be de facto producer for the sessions. There was also an influx of some new songwriters, most notably Mac Davis. Of course, the irony is that at the very same time they notably upgraded the quality of the music, they also drastically cut back on the amount of songs in the movies.

One thing that went unremarked when we were discussing US Male is that the US Male sessions (which also of course included Goin' Home) were the final Elvis sessions to feature the Nashville A-Team, and more significantly were the final studio sessions to feature Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana. So we truly are at the end of an era and a major turning point here.

17. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

And soon we will see a burst of greatness once again that is 1968-1970.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, and the 1968-1970 period and the early 60's are probably my favorite era's of Elvis's recording career. I know he had other great performances scattered throughout his recording career, but when you talk about song quality, musicianship and the strength and beauty of Elvis's voice, these eras are at the very top of my list.

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  19. mark winstanley

It seems silly after going through all those soundtracks, but I am itching to get past the comeback special, because that period is probably my favourite .... and I love the fifties and early sixties Elvis ...

RSteven likes this.
  20. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Yep, 1968/1970 was a fantastic time. For me it is in the top 5 Elvis at top:

5. 1966 / 1967
    4. 1957 / 1958
    3. 1968 / 1970
    2. 1960 / 1962
    1. 1954 / 1956

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

What a great post, Jason, and you are so correct to note, it really was an end of an era. As much as I love that Nashville A team and Scotty and DJ, and I worship what the former had done not only for Elvis, but so many other iconic Nashville acts over the years, I think it would have been a mistake for Elvis to launch his comeback, both in the studio and in Las Vegas, with that same line-up. Elvis needed to shake things up and modernize his sound and both the Memphis Boys and the Muscle Shoals guys would contribute mightily to Elvis's new sound. Of course, James Burton and the TCB band would provide the backbone for his live group and their role was very important as well. The TCB band would also have a significant role on some of his great studio recordings of the 70's as we all know.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  22. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I have to say that I think Suppose is a bit of a bore. It appears to be one of those songs that Elvis became fascinated with and was determined to record, but for me it's rather like a depressing version of It's Impossible in that it is a "list song" (I just invented that category).

In It's Impossible asking the singer to not love the woman of his dreams is is compared to telling the sun leaving the sky, telling babies to stop their wailing, and stopping oceans splashing against the shore.

In Suppose, we have the singer thinking of how losing the love of his life would be akin to roses failing to bloom en masse around the world, stars dying, insects becoming extinct, and ultimately the singer himself committing suicide. In short, it's a real blast.

Like Clambake before it, Speedway is saved by the bonus songs. Thankfully none of the movie songs are as bad as the worst of the Clambake songs, but none of the bonus songs on Speedway reach the dizzy heights of Guitar Man and Big Boss Man on Clambake either. So I guess it all evens out.

23. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Catching up a bit here...Your Groovy Self is a lot of fun. I probably wouldn't listen to in isolation (actually, I haven't ever heard another Nancy Sinatra track, and I've never been compelled to investigate her work), but I like it in the context of the album. Five Sleepy Heads is quite beautiful. Whatever you think about the lyrics or the merits of Elvis singing the tune of Braham's Lullaby, his vocal is sincere and utterly committed.

RTS ripoff or not, Western Union is a solid track, and by far my favourite of the four non-movie bonus tracks. Mine is sweet, but also a tad boring to my ears, and though there are parts of Goin' Home that I really like ("This proud wild land where the wind blows free"...silly lyrics, but I like the way they sound when Elvis sings them), most of it - including the chorus - doesn't quite work for me.

As for Suppose, the version on A Golden Celebration is absolutely magical...and the others fall short, to varying degrees. The overdubbed version, ironically, is my least-favourite; I never cared for the song on the 60s box, and it took hearing the gold box version for me to fall in love with it. The Speedway versions are better, but they don't have the same intimate beauty as the undubbed home recording.

RSteven, ClausH and mark winstanley like this.
  24. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

I love "Suppose" in all the forms it takes (though I have trouble keeping track of them all!), and I suppose Elvis did too (Jorgensen says it was the only song Elvis cared about from Speedway). The lyrics ask the listener, who is put in the place of the love object, to suppose various impossibilities, until the singer supposes a far more plausible possibility, that of losing his love and killing himself. The lyrics might seem overly dramatic to some, but don't people commit suicide over love in real life? And Elvis certainly sings those lyrics with sensitivity and beauty--he can make even suicide sound beautiful. Is this the only Elvis song to bring up that subject?

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Here is the home recording. It was overdubbed on March 20, 1967, but not released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.