Talking Heads "The Name Of The Band is Talking Heads" opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

In my view of one of the greatest live albums of all time,most of the live versions of the 77 material beats the studio counterparts and don't forget the definitive take of Houses In Motion on disc 2 .

What are your thoughts?

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I have the Rhino expanded 2 CD version and even if it has slightly wonky SQ and edits for time on the disc covering 1980, it builds on a solid foundation.

905, Say It Right, pobbard and 7 others like this.
  3. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Love it and agree with OP.

4. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Wonderful compilation. It was a great thrill upon release, and the subsequent expansion was unexpected -- icing on the cake.

5. davers

davers Forum Resident

It captures an exciting time in the band's history, and the cool sleeve art gives it that Talking Heads touch!

6. Fillmore West

Fillmore West Forum Resident

I don't think that Talking Heads receives enough credit today, especially concerning live shows. Stop Making Sense gets a lot of attention, but Name of This Band is more representative of their work.

7. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

The expanded edition is one of the best live albums of all time.

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Agree with others, it's excellent. The reissue was decent too. I like that it covers different eras of the band - what constituted the first LP is my favorite.

9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Agreed. I prefer the expanded edition over the original release.

Lewisboogie and veloso2 like this.
  10. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I prefer the original album over the expanded release.

Putrifiers II, tedkul and rmath84 like this.
  11. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Just listened to the original double-LP the other day. Love it!

tug_of_war likes this.
  12. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Worth it for Love>Building On Fire alone.
    Bought the original LP when it came out.

13. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

It’s the only TH record I listen to FWIW

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Exceptional live stuff. Interestingly, I don’t find any of the songs to really be better than their studio counterparts. Love the studio work.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Great career summary of the band as a live act on its way up and through it's peak in those Remain in Light era shows.

16. npc145

npc145 music junkie

Talking Heads were a phenomenal live band. I saw them every tour. First time was at CBGB when they opened for Television. They were still a 3 piece. They got better every tour. The big band at Radio City Music Hall was mind blowing. I was in Central Park when they recorded Life During Wartime, Take Me To The River and The Great Curve. The last three songs on the expanded The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads.

Icethorn, Tain, Gary_Stewart and 26 others like this.
  17. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I agree with this, in general. Although I do think that the first album material (in particular) did benefit from the maturation of the band's execution due to extensive early touring.

18. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm sick with envy. :disgust:

qtrules, Maurice, Hightops and 4 others like this.
  19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I like what you’ve said! Those songs do take on a different character, for the better, especially Psycho Killer.

20. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

It’s a great document of their evolution as a live band. Stop Making Sense is more polished but there’s an edginess to The Name of This Band.... that makes it a great listen.

21. It certainly sounds better and it isn’t edited as much. The reissue on Rhino is a nice replica of the original vinyl although the inner sleeves are a bit blurry. I suspect that they had to copy one of the original inserts.

22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I have mentioned TNOTBITH on a few past Best Live Albums Threads here in recent years. It is my #1 Favorite Live Album of All Time, but I am biased, as Talking Heads are my #1 Favorite Music Artist(Not Counting Solo Music Artists like David Bowie, Peter Gabriel and Steven Wilson).

My first Talking Heads Album was 'True Stories', so actually did not buy the Cassette Tape for 'TNOTBITH' until around 1987-88, and the CD Reissue butchered the Intro to 'Crosseyed and Painless' that was a bad mistake-IMO.

Along with 'Stop Making Sense' on BluRay, I also own on DVD the 'Rome' Concert and the 'Chronology'(Book Deluxe Edition) that has Live Performances between 1976-1983 and 'Life During Wartime' played at their Rock HOF Induction, but never seem to find time to play them, along with my other Music BluRay & DVD Concert Videos.

23. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Me too, but thanks to the OP for getting me to give this a listen. I hardly ever play Talking Heads but whenever I do I wonder why, they're great.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  24. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I have the expanded edition. Love it. Reminds me of seeing them in Champaign, IL — 1982 or 1983.

For those backing the original issue, can you explain why less is more in this case?

905 and Davido like this.
  25. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I love the expanded version but there is a compact perfection to the original release, plus the full version of Crosseyed and Painless (and the sweet sound of the original vinyl pressing). Lots of great stuff on the 2CD version, and the reconstructed 1980-81 show is nice. But some tracks from the 77-79 disc (is the bass out of tune on Mind?) amount to CD bloat.

Robert C, Tristero and Lewisboogie like this.