Astrud Gilberto

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by averica, Apr 14, 2019.

1. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

interested in exploring...any fans?

limoges, CDFanatic, rcsrich and 5 others like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I like any of the appearances with Stan Getz. . . .

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I love Astrud. My favorite albums of hers are: "Look To The Rainbow" (mostly arranged by Gil Evans) and "september 17 1969", which includes terrific versions of songs by Chicago ("Beginnings" and The Doors ("Light My Fire"), among others.

4. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Love listening to her music. And Joa as well. Nothing like it just has such a groove and so easy to put on in the background. Big Smile listening to her. and really cute to boot lol

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Very much. The Stan Getz stuff, for sure, and her album called Beach Samba.

Great stuff.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

big fan!

CDFanatic and oldsurferdude like this.
  7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I have the Diva Series compilation with 21 tracks. It does the trick.

Mesozoic Mike likes this.
  8. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

The Astrud Gilberto album is probably her finest, but I'll echo "Look To The Rainbow" and add "Beach Samba" has some of her best and worst work, the duet of the lovin spoonful with her 6 year old son is tough to sit through, but the rest is fantastic. My favorite outside of her debut is probably "Now" it was her first album with original material, it's really good and is more brazilian (not as much pandering to an american audience). Highly recommend listening to it all, I still have a few more albums to finish my collection but feel I own her finest ones

Signed DG, McLover, ashiya and 5 others like this.
  9. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I like her, have only really listened to her S/T album and was surprised as I usually dislike jazz and similar genres.

10. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Basia loves her...!

- Kevin

11. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

Im looking at a 2 CD comp..and also the Five Classic Albums series has a set of her stuff...selected albums from 65-69 I believe ..

kennyluc1 likes this.
  12. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

My favourite is "A Certain Smile A Certain Sadness" with Walter Wanderly from 1966. Great stuff.

sjaca, McLover, AxeD and 8 others like this.
  13. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I love Astrud, not so much as a bossa nova singer per se, but more as Verve's equivalent of Claudine Longet on A&M.

14. Thasnks for that hint.
    Will supply some nice covers (including Getz)
    W

Michael likes this.
  15. pghmusiclover

That "Now" album was excellent! For those interested, it was released on a DVD-A in the early 2000's.

Astrud Gilberto - Now

Another really good one is "Gilberto With Turrentine", her lone album for CTI.

Gilberto with Turrentine - Wikipedia

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  16. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Count me in! Finally found Beach Samba on CD. 9/17/69 is also excellent. I've actually never heard an album of hers I disliked.

All good;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    sjaca, morinix, hifisoup and 11 others like this.
  17. pghmusiclover

It's too bad the "Five Classic Albums" includes "Windy" instead of "The Shadow of Your Smile", "Beach Samba" or "September 17, 1969" -- "Windy" is probably my least favorite of her Verve albums.

sjaca likes this.
  18. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Big fan of her as well. Beach Sambas great. Love her version of Call Me. She’s like the godmother of Stereolab.

Mr Bass, Tankbass73 and btltez like this.
  19. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I don't actively seek out her music but I pretty much always buy it when I see it.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  20. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I am a fan also, I plan to get more of her stuff, as I only have 2 of her albums, both are comps.

21. Dragonwell

Dragonwell Forum Resident

I really enjoy most of her work, though some of her later albums did stray a little toward the cheezy side. Though maligned for being one of the "fake" live recordings which were a "thing" at the time, I really like the ORG 45 rpm of Getz Au GoGo, mostly for Astrud's pieces - Only Trust Your Heart and It Might as Well be Spring.

If you like her stuff, you should check out Wanda Sa as well.

22. pghmusiclover

Here's another great later album -- when this album was released, I was fortunate to see her in small jazz club here in Pittsburgh for several shows. This was in the exciting early days of CDs, so I was thrilled to get this on a shiny CD!

Astrud Gilberto Plus James Last Orchestra

23. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Wanda has a nice voice.

24. SkeletonPete

SkeletonPete Forum Resident

Oh yes, I have an infatuation with Bossa Nova in general, but always seem to gravitate to Astrud's tracks.

I particularly love the collaboration with The Walter Wanderley Trio, A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness (Verve/1966) - and so many of her covers of contemporary hits. I think her voice sounds great in tandem with Wanderley's bubbly and percussive Hammond organ tone, especially when the tune is sung in Portuguese.

The whole album clocks in at less than a half hour, but does just about everything you want within the confines of the genre.

25. pghmusiclover

That is a terrific little album. Actually virtually all of Astrud's albums for Verve are under 30 minutes -- and they are perfect. The only exception is the more experimental "September 17, 1969", which warranted the extra playing time (it was surprisingly 42 minutes!).

SkeletonPete likes this.