AXPONA Live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I’m not sure where this “if you listen to classical music you must be rich” stereotype originates from, but much of the time, I find my fellow classical music listeners to be men well into retirement age and on a very modest fixed income. They mostly use 30-year-old equipment (but good in it's day), have long since disposed of their LPs, and only buy used cds on Amazon.

2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

Fruff76 likes this.
  3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I think it's an age-old question of audiophilia: are we primarily music lovers, or connoisseurs of hi-end equipment? There is a quote out there attributed to Alan Parsons: "A music lover uses his equipment to listen to your music. An audiophile uses your music to listen to his equipment." I have my own suspicion that the people who buy those $100K speakers and play mostly classical music on them, are really doing it to, as @Done A Ton amply described it - "identify the contra-baboonist" :biglaugh: in the recording. To listen to music for the sake of simple enjoyment, those nuclear lab - worthy precision instruments aren't really necessary. Most of us do just great with very good equipment engineered and priced a lot closer to Earth.

bever70 and Richard Austen like this.
  4. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I think it comes from people who need to feel like they have superior tastes only the cream of the crop can appreciate. The reality it that $100k speakers will make The Beatles, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin or the Chemical Brothers sound as good/bad as they will for a classical recording. If a system can only shine with classical recordings, it is an inferior system to most listeners.

macster, Benzion and Matt Richardson like this.
  5. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

anyone heard the new JBL L100 classic? any impressions?

im very close to just pull the trigger on those.

bajaed and Fruff76 like this.
  6. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

JBL 100 were NEVER good sounding speakers. Go for 4312A, L 166 or many others in the JBL Line. Do your homework. Plenty of info of JBL Speakers and their differences on AudioKarma. That's where all the Vintage collectors "play".

7. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Music Direct

8. Fruff76

I would say this statement is just not correct in my opinion. The L100 was probably the best demo in the entire show. It’s been reviewed as being in the same potential as Harbeth and Devore and in all honesty, the Devore at the show sounded horrible compared the the 1/4 price L100. There was a guy at the demo who bought a pair on the spot and said he had just come from the Harbeth room with $17,000 version that he did not find as enjoyable. Check out my interview with Music Direct about them below.
    Music Direct

9. Billion$Baby

If the JBL L100 sounds the same as the originals its garbage and I don't care what a DEALER has to say about them. When you go shopping for a Car do you believe everything a Salesman tells you? If you want UNBIASED opinions you go to people that have previously owned them. There are plenty of JBL Lists out there where Vintage JBL speakers are ranked. You will not find the 100's anywhere near the top. I have owned numerous JBL Speakers (Still have several) and over 50 Vintage 1970's receivers in my inventory (Which can be viewed by anybody on this page). If you offered me original L100's for Free I wouldn't take them cause they cant come anywhere close to the best of the JBL Monitors. Why do you think no producers/recording engineers in the 1970's/80's used L 100's in the studio....Cause they don't cut the mustard.

Frost likes this.
  10. Fruff76

They don’t, i own them. I don’t work for a dealer or JBL. I’ve owned all sorts of speakers and the new 100’s are by far my favorite.

Shawn, macster, Soundsense and 3 others like this.
  11. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Sorry to continue the thread with an off-topic remark. Contra-baboonist made me laugh this evening. I do like classical music, but I don't clear my throat before listening to a classical record.

Benzion and bajaed like this.
  12. Fruff76

Anyhow, the question was did anyone hear them, not which vintage speakers are the best.

bajaed likes this.
  13. Billion$Baby

The fact that you are comparing them to anything Harbeth makes is ridiculous. Everybody knows Harbeth is no good for Rock music. JBL Was made for Rock N Roll and all those Classic Rock albums from 40 years ago were made with JBL Monitors in the booth...and not the L100's. I understand now why your defending them so staunchly....you own them. Makes sense as you have an obvious Unbiased opinion right?

14. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

What are you using to drive the JBLs with? Integrated, separate amp, tubes, solid state, etc? Where area in Pittsburgh do you live? I'm in the Burgh suburbs. Glad to hear there are more of us in the Pittsburgh area. :) Watched to video with your wife on Music Direct - great stuff!

Fruff76 likes this.
  15. Fruff76

I didn’t compare them to Harbeth, multiple professional reviews did. Btw, I’ve owned many speakers that I’ve never staunchly Defended. In fact, I had a pair of Magnepans that I absolutely hated, and never defended them or pretended to like them.

Kyhl and Slimwhit33 like this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

after reading some of the show reports in stereophile it is more apparent than ever that they are simply failing to mention anything critical about what they hear. probably not much of a surprise but after hearing the same rooms it is disappointing at best and at times shocking how they wrote about some of these systems.

olson, Kyhl, Roycer and 2 others like this.
  17. Fruff76

Hey, I’m using an old Adcom GFA 555, and an NAD M3 integrated (pre amp only). I’m in Highland Park. Stop over and check them out!

Timeless Classics likes this.
  18. Fruff76

I agree! There were so many that just sounded outright awful, regardless of price. I’m going to check and see if any of them were ones that I went into.

19. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Anyone compared the new JBL L100 with the new 4312G?

20. Fruff76

No, but I’d like to

rem 600 likes this.
  21. Billion$Baby

Here you go Murph. If your a vintage Rocker and want a NEW set of JBL's I think you want to audition/buy these..also available at music direct. If they sound anything like the Originals you will be VERY happy.

JBL - 4312SE Bookshelf Speakers (Pair)

22. Fruff76

I checked this out. I found it to be unimpressive at best. The question should be “why would I spend $15,000 for a pair of speakers that are surprisingly full range?”

“Alta Audio was showing off their Celesta FRM-2 stand-mounted speakers ($15,000/pair)”

“I listened to recordings of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" and Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik: while the sound was surprisingly full-range for a speaker with a 6" woofer”
    Read more at Alta Celesta , Audio by Van Alstine, Anticables

Not to mention, Mike, who was very nice, got noticeably annoyed when we told him we have JBL’s. He just kind of waived his arms and said, “ I know what they do” “I know what they’re all about” and proceeded to tell us about his $36,000 speaker that is capable of playing rock music....ok.

23. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I just got through reading this thread and noticed a lot of comments about the type of music (boring) being played.

While I was in one of the big ballrooms listening to the Von Schweikert Ultra 9’s I noticed they had some lp’s off to the side. I asked the gentleman who was operating the turntable (Techdas Air Force III) if he could play a song for me and he responded, “absolutely!” I proceeded to hand him side 2 of the 45rpm “So” by Peter Gabriel and listened to Don’t Give Up on $200k speakers, it was glorious!

Also in numerous rooms I asked to play “Doin It Right” by Daft Punk, some folks did, some didn’t. That track was fantastic on a pair of studio monitors by Focal, I don’t remember the model but they were the big monitors.

I was surprised by how open most people were to playing a request, made it more fun that way.

Kyhl and bever70 like this.
  24. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Any reason for choosing that particular track of this album ?

25. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

The main reason is that it’s really fun to listen to! It’s not completely one dimensional, there are some nice high’s, mids, bass, and vocals in there to get into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.