Shure V15 cartridge question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Benzion, Jun 24, 2017.

1. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I had the boron then went to the sas sapphire neo when the boron was unavailable. I'm happy with the sapphire and really couldn't tell the difference.
    Ended up buying another sapphire as backup I was so pleased with it.
    ps. My wife thinks I'm deaf so you may have to take my opinion with a grain a salt.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

At least you are talking tow different material's.

I don't get why there would be a difference in a ruby cantilever or a sapphire cantilever?

"Rubies and sapphires are both members of the corundum group with the same crystallographic and gemological properties. ... The only real difference between rubies and sapphires is the color. In essence, a red corundum is considered to be a ruby while any other color is considered to be a sapphire."

"The Mineral corundum. Corundum is best known for its gem varieties, Ruby and Sapphire. Ruby and Sapphire are scientifically the same mineral, but just differ in color. Ruby is the red variety, and Sapphire is the variety that encompasses all other colors, although the most popular and valued color of Sapphire is blue."

Some things in audio don't seem to make much sense to me. This is one of them.

Wngnt90 likes this.
  3. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

:laugh: Thank you

4. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Hmm, ruby might be the way to go. Was hoping for a bit more red in my sound :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

I prefer the color of Amethyst when listening to Jazz.

Gavinyl and Timbo21 like this.
  6. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

I bought two boron cantilevers with nude diamond stylii as part of a group buy on DIY Audio. As an insurance for broken cantilevers and worn stylii on MC cartridges I have. They are in a small plastic box and needs a magnifying glass to see. Really, seriously tiny. Hats off to companies like Jico who deal with microscopic things like that as part of their regular everyday business.

BrilliantBob and Gavinyl like this.
  7. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Going back to the cantilever variations.

The ruby has a tapered end, which they say reduces the moving mass of the stylus tip giving it a greater ability to reproduce vibrations with precision, accuracy, speed, and fidelity

Gavinyl and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Sapphire density: 3.98 g/cm3
    Boron density: 2.08 g/cm3
    Zirconia density: 5-6 g/cm3
    Beryllium density: 1.85 g/cm3

The original Shure be cantilever is a hollow tube and thus has the highest stiffness to mass ratio, resonance is 30-35 kHz. The boron solid rod by JICO has lower mass than both sapphire (and ruby) cantilevers and resonance is around 13-16 kHz. The zirconia is a hollow tube, but I do not know how thin the wall is. Measurements show that the resonance is rather high Q in the 10-15 kHz region.

In summary, I think the original boron by JICO sounds the best, but preferences vary.

9. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

To add, aluminum has a density of 2.7 g/cm3. So a thin-walled hollow tube may have a higher stiffness to mass ratio than a thin boron rod, but I leave this since I cannot calculate any numbers. Alu has less stiffness, 2.75 on MoHS scale compared to boron 9.5 (diamond is 10) .

An alternative stylus is the vivid line with an alu cantilever.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. Cylontymany

Cylontymany Forum Resident

The Jico HE stylus would be a nice compromise. Have one on my V15III

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I actually prefer the Jico HE over my boron SAS.

arisinwind likes this.
  12. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Interesting, in what way?

13. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

See posts 106 and 109.

14. SandAndGlass

On something as small in diameter and as light weight as a cantilever is to start off with, I wonder how much a "tapered end" can work to reduce the effective overall mass?

It doesn't appear to me that it would be enough to have any meaningful effect.

VinylSoul likes this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I use the Jico elliptical, HE, and SAS on two turntables that have type III's.
    The elliptical sounds about as close to the stock Shure stylus that I remember from 1973, the year I bought my first V-15 III. The SAS really brings out detail but lacks a fullness, for lack of a better word, that I like. For me the HE produces a sound that's part SAS and part elliptical. Of course my comments are purely subjective.

arisinwind, Benzion and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. SandAndGlass

The "fullness" is what I like about the vintage Sure cartridges. I have the V15 Type IV, with the stock stylus.

I do have a couple of the Shure M97xE's also and they are nice and full sounding.

17. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Is there a JICO HE for the V15V?

18. macster

macster Forum Resident

I agree mostly, the one I had was lovely, but I was a little too rough with the cantilever. You have to be gentle with them. It is a nice compromise.

M~

ssmith3046 likes this.
  19. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

JICO stylus | Online Shopping for Japanese Phonograph Needles

20. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident Thread Starter

It makes perfect sense to them - they can charge mo' money for ruby.

VinylSoul and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. Benzion

I have a NOS M97HE - love it.

arisinwind and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. Benzion

I can't hear a difference. Perhaps it's my desktop speakers, not resolving enough.

24. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I knew that channel had to be owned by someone here. Haha

floweringtoilet likes this.
  25. cjc

cjc Senior Member

I recently got a Brand New Generic (Pfanstiehl) Shure VN45E for my V15 Type IV.
    This has the stylus guard with VN45E in white letters/green background.
    .3 x .7 mil. and tracks at 1 gram. I haven't done a comparison yet with my NOS VN45HE, but so far I'm VERY, VERY happy.