Audio Note UK R-Zero/II stand alone phono stage, my review of AN's least expensive phono stage..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Give that sucker some real good break-in time, but enjoy in the meantime. The worst it is ever going to sound is today. Congrats.

BettisDad and Sugar Man like this.
  2. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

The R-Zero phono stage is really a special item in the Audio Note line of products. It is an assault on the unwarranted reputation that some people propagate, that AN equipment is too expensive. So the R-Zero is priced just right as an entry level phono stage (for MM only), but it uses vacuum tubes and truly sounds excellent. For a low output moving coil cartridge, a transformer step-up is recommended.

3. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Where does it sit in the AN line with respect to 'levels', and in relation to the various internal phono stages please?

4. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

If you're using a SET amp, is it advisable to use a SET phono stage? Is the R-Zero a single end triode design? Thanks.

5. DanG

Let me phrase this differently. I'll be moving into a SET amp from a push-pull amp (Decware SE84UFO from a Vacuum Tube Audio ST-70). I have a push-pull phono stage (Don Sachs PH16 Phono Stage), does that defeat the magic of the SET amp sound? Should I consider a SET phono stage, such as the R-Zero?

Or I don't know what I'm talking about (not the first, or the last, time). Just trying to wrap my head around some new things.

Thanks.

6. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Don't feel bad - the techno mumbo jumbo in audio is staggering and with the addition of computer audio - we now have to be computer engineers to figure out what the hell is going on. I'm a music listener - I really do not have the patience for trying to figure out the 7 things you need to buy and do to get music from a computer out my loudspeakers - using this converter or that streamer and the technical differences - and why the computer should be 3 rooms away from the room you listen to you music in and then which interface you need to use and which download app you simply must use to get it to work

As for your question HAH I can't answer it - the R-Zero is Audio Note's level Zero and is part of the Zero series - the I-Zero integrated amp - the only amp in the Zero range is a Push Pull amplifier - a very VERY good one. But it is Push Pull.

The M3 preamp is described as

Pure Class A operation
    Zero negative feedback
    Single Ended circuit topology
    Valve rectification

The M- Zero says nothing on their site and the M1 says this

Pure Class A operation
    Zero negative feedback
    The M1 Line and M1 Phono are phase inverting.

The M2 says this:

Pure Class A operation
    Zero negative feedback
    Single Ended circuit topology
    Valve rectification
    The M2 Line and M2 Phone are phase inverting.

So just going by the website to get a Single Ended topology would require an M2.

7. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

The M1 RIAA manual says this:

In response to this, the M1 RIAA phono stage uses a single-ended, zero feedback circuit topology.

8. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I seriously doubt any negative effects will occur from using the Don Sachs stage ... as the Decware amp is the last piece in the chain aside from the speakers. So you're still going to get those even order SET harmonics from the Zen amp.

That said, if considering a single ended phono stage I would take Decware's own ZP3 over the AN Zero. ZP3 = single ended, zero feedback also includes point to point wiring (almost unheard of for a handmade USA product in this price range), lifetime warranty not to mention synergy with the Zen UFO amp.

9. Warren Jarrett

I sell exclusively Audio Note, so I SHOULD be recommending you change your preamp and phono. But I generally express my opinion honestly rather than exclusively support the brands I sell.

You will LOVE having a SET amp, the qualities will be revelatory. But, no change required to anything else. Just enjoy. If you audition other preamps and phono stages, you may find one that sounds better than what you have... or you may not. It is all about synergy and your personal taste now.

10. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

The Decware in Black is Drool worthy IMO :drool: I have no use for it but I want... $1,295

[​IMG]

Nascimento Brasil and beowulf like this.
  11. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

There are very few tube phono preamps or linestages that use a push-pull design. The few exceptions would be ones with an output transformer and ones with a balanced output via XLR jacks. I couldn't find much information about the PH-16 design but some photos of the interior do not show any output transformers and the number of tubes suggests it does not have balanced circuitry. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt that it is a true push-pull topology.

However, it really doesn't matter. If it has RCA output jacks it has single-ended outputs and it will work just fine with a single-ended power amp or a push-pull power amp.

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  12. DanG

Everyone, thank you for your replies. I appreciate it.

I think I will follow Warren's advice and start by listening to the SE84UFO without making any other changes. Enjoy that and go from there.

I will keep the R-Zero in mind. I didn't mean to hijack this R-Zero thread. I should start a thread titled, "Triodes, Zero Negative Feedback, Single-Ended Topology, Directly-Heated, and other SET questions", because I see I had some basic misunderstandings, such as triodes and zero negative feedback equaled single-ended topology, and that appears to be wrong.

I must say that I'm really enjoying this hobby. The learning can be difficult, but each new advance brings tremendous rewards. I had no idea. :)

Nascimento Brasil and gumsrave like this.
  13. celester340

celester340 Forum Resident

Sorry to flog up an old thread! I’m very keen on getting the rzero ii however for about 4-600 USD, the M1 is available. Will this be a huge step up sonic wise? My gig currently is a SS luxman 505uxii and a Rega rp3 TT.

I’m not into critical or analytical listening of music, I’m occasionally happy if I don’t have to hear every damn note in a song. What makes me happy is nice happy music with a drink in my hand! I listen to country and oldies like the carpenters, Jim reeves, pat Boone etc.

So, is the M1 a huge upgrade? Or shud I try and be happy with the rzero ii since it’s my first phono and stepping into the AN world. Thanks guys!

14. Warren Jarrett

For a devoted audiophile, who loves hearing records more than just about any activity in the world, yes, the M1 is a huge upgrade beyond the R-Zero. But from your equipment list and your "happy" music listening taste, I would think no, don't spend the extra money. The R-Zero is a very good sounding phono preamp for a remarkable price.

Spend the extra money on more music and an upgrade in Scotch, instead of the equipment.

celester340 and Encore like this.
  15. celester340

Lovely! Thanks Warren! Absolutely the kind of reply I was looking for! Thank you.

If in a few simple words you could explain what exactly is it that the M1 does better, would be appreciated. Another thing, is hum a problem with these both phonos?

16. JanJ

JanJ Forum Resident

I had M1 and M2 RIAA for home demo. No hum with either with AN-E Spe He (97.5dB sensitivity).

celester340 likes this.
  17. celester340

JanJ thanks, did u also audition the rzero ii by any chance? Were u able to do a comparison to the M1? If not, what’s your take on the M1? How would you describe it. Thank you.

18. celester340

We'll, thank you all, I've just ordered the M1, awaiting delivery in a month or so. Thanks for the inputs!

19. Warren Jarrett

Secretly, I was hoping you would spring for the M1. But there goes your Scotch budget.

The M1 does EVERYTHING better than an R-Zero: it reveals more of the subtlest details and textures, sounds more lively (AKA "better micro-dynamics"), and brings more impressive timbre to acoustic instruments and human voice. It is much better. But regarding hum and noise, no, there is no AN phono stage that has a problem there.

celester340 likes this.
  20. celester340

Oh well! That's just fantastic to hear! I'm glad I did! I'll switch to a cheap single malt for a while, in recovery mode haha

Thanks for sharing details regarding the phono once again. Regards.

JanJ and Encore like this.
  21. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I somehow missed this a year and a half ago. You described the exact AN position. When I ordered my AN-S8/Lo and IoGold combo, I was quite content in the knowledge that the two were designed together, according to AN folk lore. Once I heard them at home..,

To quote my friend who has passed away....”oh god...”

Best money I have ever spent, other than on university degrees for my daughters!

JanJ, Steve Hoffman and celester340 like this.
  22. celester340

Hello people! I hope all of you are doing well. I’m eagerly awaiting my M1 phono and in the meanwhile, I wanted to get some insights into a good cartridge. The obvious starting point is the iq3.

I have a Rega planar 3 factory fitted with a Rega Elys 2 cartridge. Rega love Rega and their upgrade wud be the Rega Ania which is a MC.
    Does anyone have any information if the iq3 wud be a direct fit on my planar 3? The tone arm is a RB330.

Thank you!

23. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I have the iQ3 on my RP8 with the a 2mm spacer. It was on my RP6 with the RB 3xx arm before that so you should be good to go. One cool thing about the iQ3 is that the stylus separates out from the cartridge body and it is interchangeable with the Goldring 10xx styluses. I generally use the iQ3, but when we have a party or I'm playing some older, sketchy vinyl, I just swap in the Goldring. I picked up a used 1042 here for that purpose. I have not gone the MC route, so can't offer any helpful advice there.

celester340 and Tlay like this.
  24. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

That's really cool :)

25. celester340

Thanks sugarman. I’m not interested in any mc carts for now since I only have the M1 phono.
    So basically, it will need a spacer u said right? Is that something specific?
    Also will the setup be easy? Like a plug and play? Or do I need some kind of protractor to align the cart.

I’m not great at setting up a cart. And I can’t seem to find much data on this, hence I’m a lil sceptical about getting the iq3. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.