Made In Japan Deep Purple

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by astro8585, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Thinking of picking up a vinyl copy. A new more recent release. The purple vinyl looks nice. Quick question, every CD copy I have owned misses out some of the classic dialogue (Everything louder than everything else and Ian Paice on the drums yeah!). Do all vinyl copies restore these comments?

2. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

I own a nimber of CD/vinyl versions of this album, but the "porky" UK vinyl pressing is outstanding when compared to the rest. The CD versions I have, which includes the DCC release, just don't deliver this album when compared with the porky pressing. IMO the difference is night and day.
    The quality of this recording is outstanding. According to Jon Lord, the total cost of the recording came to $3000.
    Yet nearly a half century later it sounds sublime when compared with modern releases. In terms of sonics, It begs the question, where did it all go wrong.

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The DCC CD has all this dialogue (as does the Warners CD, IIRC). Both the Warners and DCC Cds sound great, by the way.

4. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

That is really helpful - thanks. I take it all the vinyl releases are as per the original? Also, do you know which of these 2 is best to go for please....

Deep Purple - Made In Japan

Deep Purple - Made In Japan

....or is there a better copy? I wish to buy one that is new and the above look great.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have the UK LP It is true the LP sounds better. Night and day better? Never!

6. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Forever better on my system.

7. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I am WAYYYYY late to the party on this thread, but I just purchased the Rhino Rocktober reissue (on Purple vinyl) and it is definitely in my top 10 of best sounding reissues that I own. Just wow.....

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Would you mind elaborating a bit?

I missed my chance to get this one at my local and may buy online.

Queezma likes this.
  9. Anton D

Anton D Forum Resident

10. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

That's a Hammond organ. These guys were extremely effective and creative with that instrument.

RiRiIII likes this.
  11. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I don’t have an original lp pressing to compare it to but I have the 2cd UK remaster on CD from 2007 (???) which I also think sounds really good....but this tops it. This Rocktober reissue just sounds powerful, and it‘s like you are in the room with them. I know that sounds “cliche” to say but I don’t know how else to describe it. The instruments have excellent separation and detail. That said I have never heard this on vinyl before so for all I know the original might sound just as good. The vinyl itself is dead quiet so I am also happy with the pressing itself. I would love to know if this is taken from the original analog tapes or is a digital transfer. I think I am going to pick up Burn as well (Rocktober Purple vinyl).

reddyempower, hi_watt and RiRiIII like this.
  12. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Thank you for the reply, I think I'm going to order this one.

Queezma likes this.
  13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

One of my favorites - forgot all about it - till I watched Breaking the Waves and Twister in the 90's - had to re-buy it.

14. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Go for it. I don’t think you will be disappointed. I have a ton of reissues on vinyl, and a good chunk of them are disappointing. This one raised my eye brows and I questioned why I was ever on the fence about getting it.

reddyempower likes this.
  15. pulpo

pulpo Forum Resident

I love this album! I heard the 25th anniversary edition first, and recently I got a 2nd hand copy of the 2014 box set. Amazing stuff! I can see why some people would criticize The Mule/Space Truckin' but I can't skip a single second when listening to them. Also the mastering isn't the best, but it's more than acceptable in my opinion and it's truly great to have the complete three shows available in a single package.

With that said, I was wondering about this album's mixes. How many are there? I know it's been discussed before but there's some contradicting posts I've found, a lot of posts to go through. Thanks in advance.

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Cannot comment on various mixes but can report the 'Porky' vinyl cut as being excellent and gives no hint of anything other than excellent mastering to my ears. It is better than other vinyl versions that I have heard and preferable, by some distance to any of the CD releases, including the DCC cut IMO.
    I first heard it a couple of years after its release in 1972 and back then The Mule/Space Truckin sounded every bit the part. It was Purple at their very best, where they were pushing out the envelope in terms of classic rock experimentation. That was what fans had grown to expect and that what Purple delivered with Made in Japan.

skisdlimit, RiRiIII and hi_watt like this.
  17. pulpo

pulpo Forum Resident

Thanks for the rec! I don't think I'll ever be able to get the DCC CD but whenever I get a turntable I might try to get one of these pressings.

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Get the original Warners single CD - it’s nearly as good as the DCC.

hi_watt and Leroyd like this.
  19. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Agree.

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've been a Deep Purple fan for years and my Dad loves them, yet I'm currently listening to Made In Japan for the first time. I got a cheap UK 'Porky' first pressing this afternoon.

What an amazing recording!

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Buddybud, Radio, danielbravo and 4 others like this.
  21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

:eek: is it really the first time you listen Made in Japan?

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Score17

Score17 Forum Resident

Simply tremendous. Playing is insane, the recording/production excellent. A legendary band at the top of its game. Worthy of all the hype it gets.

Leroyd, RiRiIII, danielbravo and 2 others like this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

My fav. live album.

24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I always skip Smoke on the water and The Mule

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

From beginning to end, yes! Up to Lazy now. Great stuff.

I will have to get the CD with Black Night, Speed King and Lucille added. Speed King with this sound must be a blinder! I know the sound won't be as good as this record though.

Just about to start Space Truckin'. I only paid £3 for this!

Buddybud, danielbravo and Sear like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.