Your Vinyl Transfer Workflow (sharing best needledrop practices)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vocalpoint, May 11, 2011.

1. Randy Robinson

Randy Robinson Well-Known Member

I suggest contacting iZotope. RX 6 does not work with my exaSound dac even though it shows up as an option. It did work in one of the earlier versions of RX. Oddly, the same dac does work in the current version of Ozone, 8 adv.

SamS likes this.
  2. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Any iZotope RX7 users have any suggestions on to how to remove the stitching (non-fill) at about the 17.5 second mark in the linked needle drop?

RSD Blood On The Tracks Test Pressing sample

I've tried spectral repair many different ways, and I can't get the noise even reduced without badly messing up the audio.

Thanks in advance.

3. That's a tough one. I tried and couldn't get satisfactory results. Maybe try recording it wet?

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I fixed the gap quite nicely with the spectral repair tool, but crackle right afterward, you're on your own.

5. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I didn't notice a gap. It's the crackle, cased by the non-fill pressing defect, that I'm trying to fix at least a bit.

6. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I'm not inclined to play the record wet. Not even supposed to use fluid to clean the stylus. Perhaps it would mask the defect?

7. I've played records and tracks wet and it substantially reduces noise. Especially noise and defects I couldn't get rid of in other ways. I have a Shure M97He Era IV cartridge and playing wet never hurt it. I use the wet play as a last ditch effort.

Subvet likes this.
  8. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

iZotope RX6 Advanced. My solution.

1. Mark only the LEFT channel affected area.
    2. De-Click Multi-band (periodic clicks) fs 7 sens 7 cw 5
    3. De-Click Single-band sens 7 cw 5

repaired BOTT Stitching.wav

Subvet likes this.
  9. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Thanks for that. I certainly haven't come up with anything better. There are about a dozen of these short non-fill spots on the record. I'll continue trying different things and also see how your solution works on the other spots.
    I'd get a replacement record but there are none to be had, unless I want to pay a pretty penny.

BrilliantBob likes this.
  10. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

You can get rid of that, but it will be laborious.

You will need to use Spectral Repair. You will need to zoom into the area and identify the distortions in the wavefile. You need to zoom in to the extent that you can see the seperate parts of the distortion.

You cannot take it out in one hit without removing music, its not a single click. You will need to use the lasoo tool, draw around the areas you identify as parts of the distortion and then remove. It will take several uses of the Spectral Repair for the small area.

Subvet, ghost rider and Grant like this.
  11. marcob1963

Strange. I've got RX4 Advanced and couldn't touch it with declicking, although I did only try one sweep. I did get it with spectral repair, well most of it, but I didn't put a lot of time into it.

12. marcob1963

Yeah, there is a very slight gap that causes the crackle.

I got rid of the crackle using Spectral Repair on about 7 or 8 things in the wave file that I indentified as part of the crackle, but the gap (sort of sounds like a knock) was left. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but I'm sure I could get the gap too.

Subvet likes this.
  13. Can you post your cleaned up version?

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

So what do we think about the "Repair Assistant" option in RX7?

This weekend, I set up a very crude "test" of this feature, with the awful-sounding Behringer U-Phono UFO202 using its phono pre-amp function and fed into GarageBand to record a couple of tracks from my beat-up copy of Led Zeppelin II (Robert Ludwig side A). The song "Thank You" has several really bad/loud scratches throughout the song. Incredibly, Repair Assistant took care of all the pops!

Although I really couldn't tell if Repair Assistant was imparting a sonic signature on the rest of the track, mainly because the U-Phono is so bad sounding. I may run a test later feeding the U-Phono from my regular phono pre-amp.

15. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I was having difficulty identifying, in the spectrogram, the exact location of the noise. The difference in the image where the noise occurs and where it doesn't, look identical to me.

16. Grant

I think it's worthless. Not only that, the settings the algorithm chooses are way overboard. It suggests things that don't need to be fixed.

17. marcob1963

Its difficult but they're there. Look for what I can only best describe as elongated blobs. Look for patterns that are unique to the area of distortion.

Subvet likes this.
  18. marcob1963

I didn't save it and would have to set up something like Dropbox. I'll see what I can do.

19. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

You can upload something without any registration, free, at wetransfer dot com. It will give a link to post here, and anyone can download it free without registration. If it asks to register or give an email address, for upload or download, just don't.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

As of a couple of months ago, you hadn't bought it. Can you share specifics that you recently experienced?

21. Grant

I bought it in January. There's nothing much to explain 3excpt that when I used the assistant on a few files, all with various issues, the settings it suggested were overblown and not needed. On a needledrop, it suggested noise reduction. I allowed it to apply its fixes and the results were terrible. On one, it suggested compression. Those are two I can recall. I wound up finding my own settings for each situation and they were nowhere near as extreme as the assistant suggested.

22. Randy Robinson

Randy Robinson Well-Known Member

Is there any reason to upgrade from RX 6?

23. marcob1963

I use Izotope RX4 Advanced for all my processing, EQ (High Pass), declicking, some denoising and gain adjustments. I also use it to capture.

Is there software that's superior for capture or are the differences between software for capture negligible?

24. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I took a whack at it.Dropbox - BOTT Stitching fixed.flac
    I highlighted both channels used M/S decoder then Clickrepair at a high level 7.8 then M/S encoder. Learned that trick from Stefan back in the day.

Subvet and arisinwind like this.
  25. Grant

I don't have version 6.