AXPONA Live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

They don't sound the same. A simple web search could have told you that.

2. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Pretty stupid marketing then cause anybody old enough to have heard the originals wouldn't go anywhere near the new ones based on past experience. The JBL 100's were a CONSUMER speaker....not a Studio/Control Monitor. They were built for the masses...not for recording engineers/producers. Not even in the same ballpark of sound quality.

3. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

Fruff76...thanks for your (owner) perspective on the L100 and how they compare to what you were listening to at the show. That's valuable to me, the consumer.

Ezd, mreeter, bradleyc and 7 others like this.
  4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

We wrapped up our visit to the show by playing one of our favorite tracks on the $45,000 YG’s, then my wife insisted we go up to the 100’s and listen to the same song. It was just as they were about to box them up. For her, it was just no contest, JBL hands down. I had to agree.

bradleyc and Soundsense like this.
  5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Can you give us a list of of what (in your opinion) are better JBL speakers in the same price bracket as the new L100's?

6. What an asinine remark. He's heard both speakers, and gave his opinion. Have you heard the new JBL L100s, or are you just spouting off an uniformed opinion?

Ezd, Slimwhit33 and Fruff76 like this.
  7. Billion$Baby

I only use JBL's restored by MILLERSOUND with Vintage gear from the 70's as one can see in my profile. I wouldn't be using modern day JBL's with D'agostino 400 Mono Blocks, ARC 160M's or Luxman M900. If I had to pick one it would be the 4367 at a bare minimum.

Dominator and beowulf like this.
  8. captwillard

I could be wrong, but I believe the JBL Synthesis and Revel lines all are designed in the same facility and will share similar DNA. Different designs and drivers will cause variations between models, but clean midbands and great off axis performance are things these models should share.

9. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Perhaps JBL is testing the waters with the L100 - if it sells they may bring back the bigger ones. I have enjoyed several of the original JBLs. I heard a pair similar to these in Hong Kong and they were terrific - a lot of speaker companies are bringing back their classic speakers - and usually they are the companies' top of the line. Which kind of indicates to me that current speaker designers are hacks.

Kenrick Sound in Japan is a big restoration outfit for JBL and others
    A "little" JBL Paragon for ya.

10. captwillard

Well, there are some pretty exceptional speaker designers out there breaking new grounds. Don’t be fooled that companies like JBL aren’t putting redesigned parts in their retro reissues which makes it a brand new design in a retro cool box.

bradleyc and rem 600 like this.
  11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

You make "consumer" sound like a dirty word. Hey, there is always something better, but not always the need to chase it. Let the man enjoy his L100's, if that's what he wants. If he don't like 'em - MD will happily exchange it for the higher model, and thank him in the process. That way, he will have his own educated opinion about both, instead of having to rely on yours, suavely and tactfully administered by you with a sledge-hammer...:winkgrin:

12. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I've never heard the L100's, so I can't compare them to the Harbeth 40.2's you are referring to. But I remember distinctly being totally unimpressed by the 40.2's at the NY Audio Show in 2016. Not that they were bad - no, but I couldn't see (hear) what all the hub-bub was about, considering their significant price tag. Now, for pretty much similar price, the Technics Reference series speakers really impressed me - not that I would ever pay such amount for speakers, but at least I heard why they were asking this price.

Possibly the Harbeth's were paired with the wrong amp and simply lacked the synergy of the Technics Reference Series speakers and power amp - which were an obvious match made in heaven.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Fruff76 likes this.
  13. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’m just curious; what song sounded better on the JBLs than the YGs?

14. Fruff76

Pyramid song by Radiohead.

rem 600 likes this.
  15. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Nice. :righton:

Fruff76 likes this.
  16. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Have you heard the newer versions of either of these speakers? Or are you going on what you heard 30-40 years ago? The OP was specifically asking about the new version.

Shawn and Fruff76 like this.
  17. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

the new jbl l100 classic is a entirely new design. only ressemblance is the cab size and driver size compliment. The new jbl l100 classic use a different crossover designed by a different designer and every drivers are different.

make no sense to suggest that the new jbl l100 classic will sound anything like the original. frankly,

18. Richard Austen

Then it probably makes no sense to call it a JBL L100 if it is a totally different sounding speakers using totally different crossovers and drivers. I wonder why they didn't just come out with a new speaker? Perhaps hoping to cash in on their former glory?

Don Parkhurst and Kyhl like this.
  19. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Come out to RMAF this fall! IDK when schools starts for you but it would be nice to see another young person that's closer to my age than I am to my dad's :laugh:

SoundDoctor likes this.
  20. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

For the nostalgia reason. I think its clear that it fails marketing wise since the original l100 sucks.

anyways, it has a lot I like. paper cones, big woofers, only question is that metal tweeter and how well the bass integrate in the mid, something i always notice in big 3 ways is the transition between mid and bass...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  21. Richard Austen

Well JBL is a big mainstream brand so it will probably make its way to an audio shop nearby. In the end you just have to try them for yourself - the fellow here loved them - on another forum someone else hated them.

$4,000 a pair was the figure posted on the other forum - is this correct?

22. Billion$Baby

Maybe Ford should put out a new PINTO model with a Shelby engine in it and a guarantee that the Gas Tank wont explode if the car is rear ended in an accident. Yea that will work...for those who aren't old enough to remember the original.

I'm guilty of not looking into the new design so apologies all around especially to MURPHY who I was just trying to save his money....Best intentions I assure you.

I repeat its incredibly stupid for JBL to take the name of a mediocre speaker from the past and slap it on a new design. Why would anybody knowing the performance of the original want anything to do with it?? Mind Boggling to me but Im glad "youngsters" aren't prejudiced by the history of the model name....or they had no idea about the original altogether to begin with and its reputation.

23. captwillard

It’s one of the best selling speakers ever manufactured. It would be stupid not to reintroduce a modern sounding version.

timind, Slimwhit33 and Fruff76 like this.
  24. Fruff76

The PINTO wasn’t one of the best selling cars ever manufactured.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  25. Billion$Baby

So now your saying it sounds similar. Thanks for the update. News Flash....The Ford Pinto WAS one of the best selling cars of its time. You 20-30 year olds are completely clueless.

Over 3 million Pintos were produced over its 10-year production run

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.