Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

No worries! I have a similar feel to Hutcherson’s happenings :(

Fender Relic likes this.
  2. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I'm the same way with Out to Lunch. I like parts of it, but it hasn't connected for me as a whole. It and Bud Powell are the only two MM 33's I don't own. :hide:

Evolution, on the other hand, is in my top 10 for sure. The combination of Moncur and Hutcherson create a cerebral-like connection for me. McLean's sharpness can be trying but his arrangements are brilliant, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    mikeyt and musictoad like this.
  3. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I don't care for Out to Lunch either. I just don't dig the beatnik style. It's not my thing.

4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I really like Out To Lunch. I suppose Evolution will connect with me one day, but it just hasn’t happened.

McLean is such a brilliant, brilliant player, but I sometimes feel by the mid 60’s he was pushing the “sharpness” thing over a cliff. He already had such a unique sound by playing just a bit sharp, but he really went further with it. Even on his own records like One Step Beyond and Right Now, they are just incredible albums, but man he was really pushing the envelope of tonality. I hear it as kind of “eastern” and it works in that context, but honestly if you gave me his tone on Swing Swang Swingin’ on those albums I would not complain.

Carter DeVries and timzigs like this.
  5. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

I have the 1983 King pressing of Baker's, Pretty Groovy on the way from Japan. That would be a good choice for reissue.

kay bee likes this.
  6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I love that record but I get you. I need to be in right mood to enjoy it.

7. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

was awaiting for the Hendrix uhqr to ship so that I could consolidate shipping with a mmj order. sadly blue train is out of stock. have wanted that since they announced the srx.. oh well just not meant to be I guess :shake:

8. So, if I am getting 0 response from Carol, is there another email to address QC issues? I have not gotten a response in a week.

9. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Did you send a 2nd request email yet? Sometimes one can slip by in all the shuffle....

10. drkNRG

drkNRG Forum Resident

The best email is actually [email protected] but it just goes to carol... if she hasn't responded in a week it probably means she missed it, she's pretty on top of the email as far as I can tell. If you've already nudged her with a reminder email, you can PM me your details and I'll make sure she pulls it up.

11. jstarboy

jstarboy Well-Known Member

Has anyone compared Us Three 33 vs 45? I remember someone commenting that the 45 sounded much flatter and less dynamic than the 33. I wanted to see if that was the consensus. Thank you!

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  12. I, too, am wondering this and I also remember the, what I believe was a single, comment.

jstarboy likes this.
  13. Does anybody know if prints of the pictures inside the gate folds are available to purchase anywhere?

14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Mosaic sells them from time to time. There are a few available now for $150 per. Mosaic Records - Francis Wolff

Greenmonster2420 and DeRosa like this.
  15. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Too bad they're not repressing these for Blue Note's 80th anniversary...

AaronW and mikeyt like this.
  16. Yowza! $150 for a 7.5”x7.5” print?! That’s nuts! I get a 12”x12” on the inside of the jacket. I guess I’d be better off buying a MM release and cutting it in half to frame that. A third the cost, much larger, and I get some music!

17. Gabe Walters

They’re not cheap.

recstar24 likes this.
  18. gov

gov Forum Resident

But really they are not presumably comparable to cutting cardboard which came off a printing press.

They are printed on acid free rag paper with archival pigment inks. I’ve got a few photographs I’ve purchase and $150 is not crazy at all and while I’m not sure who’s printing them, I can just about guarantee if they were side by side there wouldn’t be a contest.

Somewhere on a photography site people are scoffing at those who buy $60 records when their Apple TV sounds magical with Amazon prime music ;)

19. Fair enough. I’ve updated my avatar to the photo I wanted in the mean time ;)

I understand better printing and stock, but for a 7.5” image? That seems way small for that price point. And the quality on the MMs isn’t shabby - any place I can buy the same quality that’s in the jacket for a better price?

20. Gabe Walters

Mosaic owns the images. If you want a (legal) print, you gotta buy from them.

21. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Just ordered another five MM45 titles. All are numbered copies from Elusive Disc at $49.99 except Grant Green at $59.99. This brings me to 65 MM titles in total. Am I halfway there yet?

• Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song
    • Elvin Jones - Genesis
    • Horace Parlan - Happy Frame Of Mind
    • Lee Morgan - Vol. 3
    • Grant Green - Talkin' About!

Elofan, Carter DeVries, Bryce and 3 others like this.
  22. Elusive has Fuchsia at $50? That’s a great deal

23. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I don't see Fuschia Swing Song listed on Elusive. Link?

24. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

65 titles! At approx. 35 minutes of music per title, you have 38 hours of listening there. Get on it!

25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Don't be so naive to what original art photography can cost.
    Galleries sell Francis Wolff prints for closer to $1,000.

Vintage Band Photos | Buy Fine Art Photography
    Herbie Hancock, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1964 | Francis Wolff

I think what you want is a book to cut out some images:

https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Note-Photography-Francis-Wolff/dp/0789304937
    https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Note-Michael-Cuscuna/dp/2080202200

gov likes this.