Genesis: Wind & Wuthering - What Would You Change?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Genesisfan88, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genesisfan88

Genesisfan88 Active Member Thread Starter

Instead of hijacking the Genesis album by album thread, I decided to create a poll and ask you Genesis fans what you would do to make the Wind & Wuthering album better? Because there were three tracks leftover from the recording session, you have the opportunity to vote for which tracks you would remove from the album. In exchange, I ask that you post which songs you voted to remove and mention which ones you would replace. Here are your choices for replacement songs:

1. Match Of The Day
    2. Pigeons
    3. Inside And Out

Have fun with this!

2. Genesisfan88

Genesisfan88 Active Member Thread Starter

I chose to remove Your Own Special Way and replace it with Inside Out. As far as songs go, Inside Out has a much stronger feel acoustically and a more structured instrumental section. Too bad it was left off!

3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Not a thing, my friend. Not a single thing. :)

4. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

This one is a bit tricky, because of the lack of great extra tracks, but Pigeons is alright, and Inside and Out is great, so chop Special Way and Mouse’s Night, put Pigeons on Side 1 and open Side 2 with Inside and Out, and you would have a much better album. Still not as good as their previous efforts, but what are you gonna do? Those were just not great sessions imo.

5. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Chop Wot Gorilla and replace it with Inside and Out.

dachada, smith6552 and Genesisfan88 like this.
  6. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

I agree with GenesisFan88- I would remove Your Own Special Way - could have been a great song but it goes on too long. I would replace it with Inside and Out - a very solid effort that should have made the album.

The other two outtakes aren't strong enough to replace what made the. cut IMO... If Please Don't Touch was an option, then we might have to lose Wot Gorilla

rancher and Genesisfan88 like this.
  7. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

That's my main issue, that song is too long. Otherwise a great, classic album that I would not change

8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

None! It's a masterpiece and perfect as it is, it's ridiculous that's it's so underrated and debated here. End.

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

"YOSW" is cloying and saccharine, so that would best be replaced with "Inside & Out". I'm not wild about those additional songs from the EP, so let the rest of the album stand. I like this album nearly as much as its predecessor.

10. BarryChicago

BarryChicago A Flower

Well, this is very tricky. I like this whole album as it is (like I do with most other Genesis albums), but for a more stronger effort I'd axe Your Own Special Way f0r Inside and Out, and Wot Gorilla for Pigeons.

As for All In A Mouse's Night, I wouldn't get rid of it since it has enough stellar instrumental passages to keep me interested, despite the silly lyrics.

RangerXT, audiotom and Genesisfan88 like this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Special Way" the only song I don't like. I'd replace it with Inside & Out, I reckon.

BryanA-HTX and Genesisfan88 like this.
  12. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Not a damn thing.

13. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I don't dislike "Your Own Special Way"at all, but "Inside and Out" is strong enough that I might be willing to switch it out. But would it fit well into the sequence that way? Not so sure. It would be interesting to burn a CDR and try it out.

The second side of the album needs to remain exactly as it is, IMHO. While the song part of "Mouse's Night" is not exactly essential, I think its amazing instrumental outro is basically the introduction to what I see as a fantastic sidelong epic (rather than individual songs).

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Looking at that tracklist shows me that only "One For The Vine" stands out as first-rate Genesis. W&W was a major step-down from what came before. I almost never listen to this album. The cluttered low-fidelity mix of the opening track doesn't help at all either. Give me Trick any day over this.

In response to the OT, I enjoy "Inside and Out" quite a bit and could replace almost anything on the album with it, except for the stellar "One For The Vine" of course.

richarm, fRa and Genesisfan88 like this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Toss Your Own Special Way and Wot Gorilla. Take your pick of the three songs from the EP.

I'm in the minority, but I think Mouse's Night is a good track. The lyrics are unusual, but I think they're pretty clever. And the music is good.

Genesisfan88 likes this.
  16. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Nuffin'...

freemanl likes this.
  17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Having only truly "gotten" this album THIS YEAR after reading the Genesis ABA thread, I'd say nothing should be changed!
    I've had this album, along with all LPs from "Nursery Cryme" up until "...And Then..." from a friend's collection in 1980. I liked this album, but hadn't played it since then.
    Listening to it by chance this year I was stunned at the beauty of it. Fantastic!

18. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Nowt here too.:)

sound chaser and freemanl like this.
  19. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I'd change nothing.

sound chaser and freemanl like this.
  20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

As flawed as I think the album is, I wouldn't change anything. Not anymore than I'd change the Mona Lisa or The Grapes of Wrath.

21. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

Out: Your Own Special Way
    In: Inside and Out.

Of the Genesis albums I own, this is the last of them. Your Own Special Way was a sign of how dire and unlistenable they were going to get after Hackett's departure. I prefer Trick of the Tail to Wind and Wuthering, and any from Trespass to Selling England by the Pound to either of them.

22. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

I love this album. I really do. But since you asked...

First) Reduce Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers to a length that befits it as the intro it is and just call the instrumental In That Quiet Earth.

Second) Lop off All In A Mouse's Night. Once its been excised, it won't be missed.

Third) You Have Your Own Special Way can easily be edited and it would serve the song well.

With those edits and omissions, enough room could have been carved out for all 3 EP songs.

Inside And Out should have been on the album. Its an outstanding track. Match Of The Day and Pidgeons are just smart enough, quirky enough, and short enough to be included to an album that would have benefited from some levity.

23. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Get rid of that My Own Special Way nonsense

AidanB and Antmanbee like this.
  24. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Love this idea. I got the CD-3 of Spot the Pigeon and I was stunned when I heard Inside and Out, it WAY too good to (still) languish in relative obscurity.

BarryChicago likes this.
  25. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Amazing album and I don't want to change a thing about it. Love the 3 leftovers especially Pigeons (which is one I would love to have seen 70s McCartney do a version of) but it does not fit with the vibe of the album at all. Inside and Out is a fantastic song but for me there's just not a place for it on the album.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.