USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Media mail, North Carolina to Kentucky, mailed Monday, 4/15, and delivered Wednesday, 4/17.

Gotta LOVE media mail . . . at least, sometimes - like this time.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well, the replacement Music Direct shipped out on Friday arrived here on Monday.
    Too bad the damn thing took off again, to the next town over, and then back to Memphis. :wtf:

Then there's the missing shipment from Acoustic Sounds that sat in their PO for 6 days, took off, then stalled again in Iowa.
    That's going on 5 days ago.

Media Mail sucks most of the time.

3. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

I can feel your pain, believe me. I've been there too.

Yes, it sucks, but, mostly, isn't that our impatience at play?

But no, in my experience, media mail is a miracle. (USPS vs. the world? What other countries have the still-today-it's-a-bargain that continues to be media mail?)

googlymoogly likes this.
  4. Myke

No, up until about a month ago, I could check my tracking once a day, or get alerts when it was scanned, and know it was progressing. Now, it sits for days, while every seller swears they have physically given it to the USPS, and that's just how their PO does (letting it sit before sending it on). Then when it does begin to progress, the names of geographical destinations have become *In Transit* which is about as vague as it gets.
    No, it's not how long it takes, it's the total lack of control once my money's been taken.
    It's like having no tracking at all.
    I've gone to Priority only before, and it looks like I have to return to that again.

5. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

My Skydog was last seen in Des Moines on March 12th. Still in transit. Sent a note but only got a rate the response on your request submission but no update. Still in transit and arriving late. Holding out hope.

Matthew Tate and Myke like this.
  6. Myke

I'm seriously watching a RSD purchase from Discogs, as it has landed in Des Moines today, last place both of our shipments seem to be sitting.
    I Googled any possible problems there, but came up empty-handed.

7. Myke

Well, Peppers & Eggs made it out of Iowa, but Crossroads Guitar Festival hasn't yet. So that's maybe not a black hole.

8. Myke

Crossroads made it to Memphis, where it's been since noon yesterday.
    Peppers And Eggs arrived this morning, 4 days after being shipped !!! :winkgrin:
    Big Hits ( High Tide And Green Grass ) hit Memphis yesterday, and has supposedly* taken off again.

Supposedly meaning I've seen shipments depart Memphis up to 5 times in the same day. No one's been able to tell me what that's about. I think they're scanning pallets that don't make it onto the truck. I dunno.

9. Myke

Well, all my incoming albums have long since arrived, undamaged, thank the record Gods, and I've been relaxing.

My son and I just took 6 albums in a mailer, to the PO, for shipment to a McCartney-loving family member, and when my son asked for 3 Day Priority, that opened the floor to a short discussion.
    The USPS clerk said " Smart choice. I don't know what is going on with Media Mail lately, it's crazy. "
    I mentioned that there's still a numbered LE MFSL album out there somewhere, that Music Direct has replaced, and past that, I'm happy to be caught up.

10. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

My most recent delivery took 11 days to arrive, even though it was shipped from 120 miles away!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I don't know what it is about Des Moines but stuff that should never see Iowa somehow passes through there. My mail ought to come straight from the St. Paul distribution center to my local post office but more often than it should, a letter or package goes to Des Moines first. It then has to go back to St. Paul to make it to me.

I love Iowa but why my mail wants to vacation there, I can't comprehend.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Dave and Myke like this.
  12. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Mine is on permanent vacation there and the USPS is no help at all on tracking mail. Sent in a search request and the only response I got was a request for feedback on my recent service request. The postal service is getting much worse lately. Have several others weeks on the road, just hope they don’t get to the party in Des Moines.

Myke likes this.
  13. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

In the Pacific NW, we've had a large distribution center get shut down - I wonder if the Midwest has lost one or more of those? It does seem to be packages coming from or near the Midwestern distribution points where the media mail packages tend to get hung up. I had an LP coming from near Indianapolis that sat in Iowa, then Indiana again, if the scanning is accurate. I'm sure the delivery system is strained to breaking point, though, with all the online sellers that ship via MM using the service.

Myke likes this.
  14. zacata88

zacata88 Well-Known Member

I have two media mail packages that entered the San Francisco hub on May 1 and May 3, respectively, and have not been seen again since.

Matthew Tate and Myke like this.
  15. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

OK, I hate to bring more good cheer to this thread, but I will . . . media mail shipping of one LP, North Carolina to San Francisco (approximately 2700 miles), TWO DAYS.

Gumboo, Dave and George P like this.
  16. Myke

That's great. I'm happy for you. An occasional good turn now and then still doesn't change my mind. I go with the majority, and now I'm not just reading it on this forum, but in other places on the internet as well, and also in record shops in the real world. I see Media Mail either undergoing some sort of overhaul, or being dumped altogether.

17. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

I receive about 10-15 record packages media mail , every week. Never have had a problem with media mail. Usually anywhere from 2 to 9 days (usually 4 days , is the average)

audiomixer likes this.
  18. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

I've shipped about 6,000 records and have not had a single one get lost*. 1 was destroyed. 5999/6000 is a decent track record to ship a fragile object cross country for 3 dollars in 5-6 days. I cannot remember any being delayed except at Christmas at the Chicago area distribution center.

*except when I used glue stick for labels that one time, it was cold and about 3 of the labels came off the packages and were not recovered. "operator error"

19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

It's annoying when a seller requires a signature confirmation on a low price item, say $10 or less. While I can understand taking the precaution on high dollar items, it's a hassle to go to the post office to pickup an inexpensive item because you have to find time to break away from work.

PhantomStranger and zongo like this.
  20. zacata88

zacata88 Well-Known Member

After two weeks of disappearing into the void both of these showed up at my doorstep in Memphis.

melstapler and Myke like this.
  21. I was close to filing an insurance claim on this Priority Mail 2-Day package. Out for delivery on April 27, delivered on May 6.

Tracking Number: 9405809699937478290491

Your item was delivered at 3:20 pm on May 6, 2019 in BOSTON, MA 02163.

Delivered
    May 6, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Delivered

BOSTON, MA 02163

Tracking History
    May 6, 2019, at 3:20 pm
    Delivered
    BOSTON, MA 02163
    Your item was delivered at 3:20 pm on May 6, 2019 in BOSTON, MA 02163.
    April 27, 2019, 9:25 am
    Out for Delivery
    BOSTON, MA 02163
    April 27, 2019, 9:15 am
    Sorting Complete
    BOSTON, MA 02163
    April 27, 2019, 9:02 am
    Arrived at Unit
    CAMBRIDGE, MA 02139
    April 27, 2019, 2:50 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    CAMBRIDGE, MA 02139
    April 27, 2019, 2:25 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    BOSTON MA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    April 27, 2019, 2:14 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
    BOSTON MA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    April 26, 2019
    In Transit to Next Facility
    April 25, 2019, 7:20 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    LITTLE ROCK AR DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX
    April 25, 2019, 6:05 pm
    Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
    LITTLE ROCK, AR 72212
    April 25, 2019, 2:32 pm
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    LITTLE ROCK, AR 72212

22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i wondered what the deal was. every single one of my packages goes through seattle first, and every single one has disappeared into some sort of a "void" during the last ~45 days. deliveries are never on time once they reach seattle. a couple days after the initially scheduled delivery date they just quietly appear in oregon.

googlymoogly and Myke like this.
  23. googlymoogly

What seems to happen now is a big version of "traffic snarl" at the distribution and routing center in Federal Way, Washington. A guy I know who used to work for the USPS used to shake his head over all the extra shipping that gets done via the postal service system - the main office has steadily closed or reduced distribution centers, all the while taking on greater volume due to the explosion in online sales.

24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i used to work in shipping/logistics up there and this makes sense to me. it's clear they haven't adjusted their systems to reflect what's currently happening with the routing. and just when i was bought into USPS tracking accuracy...

googlymoogly likes this.
  25. googlymoogly

I must say that I'm surprised Media Mail generally works as well as it does these days.

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.