Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I can see the Asia-mindful studio accountants glaring at Cameron over cappacino at the meeting table ala “Mulholland Drive”: “This is the girl you want.”

GullGutt likes this.
  2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Where I live in western Massachusetts there is no wired internet, which surprisingly is the case for dozens of rural towns out here. I can stream via cell or satellite, but it is either horrendously expensive, hideously slow, or piss-poor quality. So yeah, streaming is an issue for me.

John K.

Deuce66 likes this.
  3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Not reasonable enough yet. I also looked into "radio wave", which is cheaper, but unsure how well it would work. Then you add all of the subscription services. I cut the cord and am using a hard drive, and buying DVDs and BluRays.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

terrible!

5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I lived in a rural area until fairly recently, so I know what you’re going through. Sorry if this is too political, but the government ought to make broadband for everyone a priority like they made rural electrification a priority back in the day.

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

5G is coming, as are a host of other wireless access technologies. Streaming will become an option for a lot of rural areas in the next 5 years.

You also have to consider what % of media sales go to rural areas - I bet it's less than 10%. That's not enough to maintain a mass market and support new physical releases anymore, except maybe for blockbusters.

7. thegage

Unfortunately it always comes down to dollars and cents for the providers. When I first had a 4G can installed at my house for internet I always had a green light on the can showing excellent signal strength. Now the light is more often than not red, with the internet crawling or plain not working, even though I have line-of-sight to the cell tower across the ridge. They replaced the can three times, but I've eventually given up complaining when one of the engineers finally admitted that it had nothing to do with hardware, but how my provider was allocating space and bandwidth in my area. I don't have a lot of hope for 5G.

Sorry....we've wandered off topic here.

John K.

halfjapanese likes this.
  8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

5G should remedy many of those issues. But keep in mind 5G isn't the only new (or new-ish) wireless tech out there. There are a slew of wireless internet providers cropping up. Many of them are in metropolitan areas at the moment, but it's only a matter of time before they spread to rural areas - the tech just keeps getting cheaper.

9. The Egyptian Blu-ray has now been out of print for years and commands triple digits on the used market. It's criminal no one has licensed the transfer again for release.

Karnak likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yeah, it's a good movie. Also a terrific (partial) Bernard Herrmann score. There are some weird early CinemaScope problems (bad lens distortion), but it's always been that way. We actually considered coming up with a digital fix for it, but I think it was finally decided a) it would take a ridiculous amount of time, and b) we had to remain true to the historical nature of the film and not change it too much.

PhantomStranger and Karnak like this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I have not kept up with this thread, but is there any thoughts on 'Pet Semetary'? I saw the Original only about 6-7 years ago on YouTube as it had the Movie for Free at the time(no idea if it is still available on YT), and thought it was ok, and worth watching, but wanted to know what some people here thought of the New Remake?

Sometimes Dead is Better and Most Times the Original Movie is Better.

I do own the Book, but just have not found the time to read it yet, but heard it was one of King's Best Horror Novels according to most of his Fans(which I am one of them myself except a few Books are too long, as I had to reread the start of 'IT' a a few times, as would put it down and 3-4 weeks later forgot what I had read and would start from the beginning again).

And 'Under The Dome'(Hardback) was so Frickin' Big, it could have been used as a weapon itself to murder someone and might have been part of the reason I ended up with a Herniated Disc that required Surgery that left me in worse shape with a New Problem(Damaged L-4 & L-5 Nerves), despite having fixed the Herniated Disc.

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I haven't seen it myself, but there is a thread dedicated to the new movie with plenty of comments.
    Pet Sematary (2019)

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  13. thegage

Saw the new Hellboy tonight. The first walkout-worthy film I’ve seen in a long time. I would have, but I was with other people. Calling it terrible is being unfair to the word. I can’t think of anything in it that made it worth making or seeing. I assume it’s a certified bomb, and fortunately won’t result in a sequel, in spite of the pointless reveal at the end.

John K.

Ghostworld, SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks. I just realized I made a comment in that thread, but guess was also seeking out some takes on the movie in this thread based on the thread title.

Encuentro likes this.
  15. Vidiot

I wish I could give credit to the person who said it, but somebody on Facebook called the new Hellboy, "not just bad, but like horrible student film bad, as if they completely embraced going beyond the traditional limits of bad cinema." :eek:

SandAndGlass and sunspot42 like this.
  16. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Such a shame - what a wasted opportunity. Everything about the previews looked terrible. David Harbour sounds like he has a speech impediment and when the effects look cheap in the trailer, you know you might be in trouble. I know Guillermo's movies get criticized for being more fantasy than horror, but visually they were very true to the look of the comic and I, as a fan, was very satisfied with the result. This looks like one of those cheap Indonesian knock-offs from the 80's. Granted I did not see it with my own eyes, but I am a fan of the material and they did not draw me in. It just has 'We'll fix it in post' written all over it.

17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I could not disagree more with this statement. They had some great stuff during that period.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Because my AMC A-List membership makes movies "free", and because "Hellboy" is running IMAX at the local AMC, 2 weeks ago I would've stated there was a 99% chance I'd see it.

The 1% won.

If the reviews had just been bad, I would've gone, but they were brutal. Comments like thegage's aren't uncommon - this doesn't appear to be a run of the mill crap flick.

Instead, it's apparently a stinker of epic proportions!

I'll still probably watch the BD to review it for my site, but I wasn't gonna spend 2 hours in a theater for it!

19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

and a lot of that garbage was pretty great also!

20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have been seeing the trailer's and it looked like the movie might have been funny, something like Shazam, it was not.

Being a Subbs A-List member, I had already decided to see it earlier this afternoon.

I can’t think of anything in it that made it worth making or seeing, either.

Yep!

Here's how it checks out so far in RT.

[​IMG]
    The critic's have this one pegged for sure.

Extremely puzzling is that almost 2/3's of the audience liked it?

The entire movie was bad. There was not a thing redeeming about the movie. NOTHING!

Let us know if you get through two hours of this.

The only thing that I am curious about is that the production budget was listed at 50M, while the King Arthur kid movie that was out earlier this year showed a budget of 60M.

Hellboy had way more and better CGI by far than the King Arthur movie and it still cost 10M less to make.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It bombed so sad not really..
    I wished for Hellboy 3 oh well.

22. thegage

Went to see Shazam tonight—a perfect antidote to Hellboy. We enjoyed it very much.

John K

SandAndGlass and PhantomStranger like this.
  23. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

That''s veyr good to hear. I've seen and veyr much enjoyed iut,too, three times.

Saw a ndf very miuch loved an d laughed at MISSING LINK. NO one else in theatre...though

24. Vidiot

I was very surprised by Shazam: it was a much more enjoyable, fun movie that I expected. I think it fell apart a bit towards the end, and I thought it was interesting that not once did they refer to the character as "Captain Marvel" (which is who he is), but I get that this is more of a problem with audience confusion than trademarks and copyrights.

25. Corporate has made a decision to avoid using any variation of 'Marvel' in the films - which is going to pose more problems in sequels with characters like Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel, Jr. They've come up with the awful Lady Shazam to replace Mary Marvel's name in merchandising.

DC wanted to rename Captain Marvel to Captain Thunder about a decade ago, a nod to his original name back in the 1940s. That was nixed when they discovered another company had it trademarked.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.