Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Although... in the 1970s Shazam TV series, they did call the character "Captain Marvel." So there is that. It's fair to say that the copyright is muddled.

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I saw the film at an Alamo Drafthouse cinema in Austin, and before the previews they had an interview showing with Neil Gaiman about the history of Captain Marvel comics and the rights to the name. Unfortunately I didn’t pay as much attention as I should have as there was a lot of activity going on around us.

They also showed a TV ad from the ‘70s with the Captain Marvel from the show. Made me glad I never watched it.

John K

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I missed the earlier showing yesterday, so it was Hellboy.

Will see Missing Link this afternoon. I look forward to enjoying it. The trailers were funny.

4. SandAndGlass

I don't think that you can get much more muddied than the Captain Marvel character.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

I just booked my seat for Missing Link for the 3:15 PM showing this afternoon and there were no other seats in the theater that were booked at this time.

Just to add, this is my AMC ten screen theater and it is showing in one of the two largest theater's. This is one of only two Dine-In theater's the AMC has in the State of Florida.

[​IMG]

That's my seat F7. It is two hours before the movie starts (or the trailers anyway).

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

They've been calling him Captain Marvel consistently up until at least 2010 on TV and in the comics. It's only in the past few years that they started calling him "Shazam" outside of comic covers, where the use of "Captain Marvel" was restricted due to trademark issues.

Having grown up on the 70s TV show, he'll always be Captain Marvel to me.

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

You have to distinguish between actual interest in Endgame and the rumor that the first trailer for Larry Crowne II (Burnt Toast) will be shown beforehand.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

Saw the movie. It was entertaining. Once was enough though.

Three other people joined me in the theater this afternoon.

Opening weekend for Missing Link brought in less than 6M with 3,400 theaters showing the movie.

Not too good of an opening at all and Missing Link will end up missing at the box office.

I was not able to find the production budget, but it has been estimated at around 60M?

If you are looking to see it, better make it quick!

10. Vidiot

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

Didn't know anything about the character. The reviews looked funny.

The actual movie was TERRIBLE! There was nothing redeeming about this movie, nothing!

Total box office, 20.7M Production cost 50M. It's done!

McLover likes this.
  12. The first two Hellboy movies were mostly fun and had a unique sense of style. None of their fans wanted a reboot, but the studio plowed ahead anyway because they wanted a continuing franchise.

DreadPikathulhu and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Here's a Venn Diagram.
    "A" is "Target audience for 'Hellboy' movies.
    "B" is "Moviegoers who find 43-year-old David Harbour sexy"

[​IMG]

sunspot42 and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. SandAndGlass

It appears that their dreams of a franchise have gone to HELL-boy.

15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I knew it would happen if only we could got hellboy 3 at least 10 years ago..

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Rock lovefest staring Jason Statham.

17. alexpop

Dark Phoenix a box office smash prediction time?

18. All whispers indicate it's a mess and a bomb waiting to happen.

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Hollywood running out of ideas. Reworking the 2006 The Last Stand didn’t help.

Mirrorblade.1 likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Looks like Endgame will finish the weekend with a disappointing $1 to $1.2B!!! :D

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I am predicting right now that Endgame will be a hit for 2019.

Pete Puma likes this.
  22. Vidiot

I figured they'd be lucky to get $850M worldwide, but it looks like Avengers: Endgame is going to hit an incredible $1.1 billion in just four days of release:

‘Avengers: Endgame’ Thunders To $487M Overseas & $644M Global Through Friday, Smashes All-Time Opening Weekend Records On Way To Historic $1.1B+ WW Bow

The article says this is pretty much the breakeven point for a movie like this that cost $365M plus $150M for P&A, so that is an incredible achievement for a film in just three days. And it also set the all-time biggest U.S. domestic opening at $350 million.

Not bad for a 3-hour movie with a very dense story that pretty much requires the audience to know a lot of the characters and intersecting stories from 40+ hours of the previous 21 Marvel films.

As long as I've been following the movie hits and bombs over the past few decades, I've never seen a movie break as many records as Avengers: Endgame. Definitely one for the books. What makes me happy is that it really is a good film, and I'm glad audiences and critics appreciate it.

Stormrider77, Simon A, kouzie and 3 others like this.
  23. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind seeing this one. It's kinda like a side detour in the F&F series like it is with Star Wars with 'Rogue One'

alexpop likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

AVENGERS: ENDGAME $1.209B Global Estimate Total through 5 Days (First Film to Surpass $1.0B in Debut)

Includes $350M Domestic Opening Weekend Estimate ($156.7M Fri / $109.0M Sat / $84.3M Sun)
    Includes $330.5M 5-Day China Opening
    Rest of the world $528.5M

8:35 AM - 28 Apr 2019

25. alexpop

How much does MCU take from media /merchant sales usually?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.