Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. bem

bem Forum Resident

Why doesn't the Dylan group make an official announcement already? We have Mojo/ new record express/ a picture from Dylan's European tour/ a picture from his website. Various amazon sites and a Japanese website have had it listed. Just announce the darn thing already!!!!!

And yes. Take my money!!!

2. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

I know this is very unlikely due it being a Sunday on that day but part of me hopes that a trailer for the movie or the set on the 5th of May. What I'd personally do if i was involved in the marketing was release a Isis performance as a single, video of it included.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Definitely the closest we’ve seen to ”official,” and probably the best we’ll get before an actual press release (not to mention the inevitable Rolling Stone article). Mojo is clearly working with Sony as part of their promotional plans.

Prior to that, we first had the Amazon Spain entry, then the post from @RockRoom, the leaked photos of the packaging, and finally the ISIS update (did I miss anything?). Taken all together, it already seemed we could be reasonably confident of the 14CD number. But this seems to really tie a bow on it.

4. WildHoneyPie

I'm still hoping for a download code for all the other 75 shows they recorded but this is very unlilkely and they will most probably release those shows in 2025 for copyright reasons.

Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  5. DeeThomaz

I’m not counting on it, but I don’t think this is a remotely unrealistic hope. It would add value to the set and would solve the copyright issue which is only 6 years away (there’s no reason they HAVE to always wait until the very last moment for these things). Plus there is a precedent for this with the 1965 Live Recordings download (though I would hope they treat the material better in this case). So it seems to make sense for both Sony and the potential market for this box.

6. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

You're probably better off buying this from BobDylan.com if you want to be in the pool for any free download that might be associated with this release.

I doubt that they'd be able to receive the amazon sales data for the set for various reasons.

The 1965 download only worked with Big Blue because Sony was the only retailer moving the product -- that won't be the case with this release.

If they're going to offer any extras, digital or otherwise, via the INC page, they'd likely have to announce it up front in order to avoid a thousand emails dealing with customers that purchased from other online retailers.

matt79rome89 likes this.
  7. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Sounds like they’re waiting for Netflix to get their movie plans together so they can coordinate announcements. The Amazon and Japanese HMV links aren’t part of the official promotions/announcement, they just put up listings early. If I had to guess, I’d say that the plan may have been to announce the box earlier (before the tour leg started) but Netflix/movie stuff changed and pushed things back. It won’t be long!

8. DeeThomaz

True, but a download code included in the box could solve that problem. With Cutting Edge it seems the 1965 download was an afterthought so it only really worked because they had a way to contact customers directly. In this case, with advance planning, that might not be an issue.

matt79rome89, Percy Song and RayS like this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Of course, BobDylan.com might very well use a download code as a store exclusive. After Trouble No More, I'd really prefer not to order from them again though.

10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Trouble once more?

11. DeeThomaz

Here, here. Then again, if they do end up offering an audio exclusive (a download code, or perhaps a standalone 2CD set of one of the early shows), I know I’d snap it up in a second, cursing my gullibility all the while.

CBackley, Percy Song and WildHoneyPie like this.
  12. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Sadly, even a lithograph or some other lame bonus would make me forget all of our Troubles in the past...

Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Of course. And without hesitation. But there would definitely be some grumbling.

Richard--W, Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I listened to San Diego '79 again last week. I have no buyer's remorse whatsoever. :)

I don't think digital access to the shows not in the box is an unreasonable possibility, personally.

15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

SD79 is fantastic. Well worth it.

16. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Personally I’m hoping bobdylan.com have an exclusive bonus cd of the Blood On The Tracks Test Pressing.

17. DeeThomaz

This is all very speculative, but IF there is a download code included, it might be the model for how future “tour boxes” are conceived: Pro-Recordings + carefully curated extras on physical media, everything else download only. I vastly prefer how they approached the all-CD 1966 box (thanks Clinton!), but this may be a more realistic model for tours that might otherwise get ignored. And if it makes, say, a 1978 collection more likely, it could be a very good thing.

18. WildHoneyPie

I'm at my local shop and I'm just browsing through Mojo for info on the box. " A 14 - CD companion box , Bob Dylan - The 1975 Live Recordings is due soon. As well as rehearsals and rarites, most of the discs capture entire Dylan sets, unlike Bootleg Series Vol 5 in which performances from four cities were cherrypicked. Sonically superior to the bootlegs in circulation, the recordings are thrilling evidence of Dylan and band's relentless energy night after night."

rednax, gearyoleary, jlf and 12 others like this.
  19. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

it usually drops around the time everyone's picking glue off their box set discs

John D. likes this.
  20. DeeThomaz

Talk about “up to the minute” reporting— we got this update from you before you even left the shop! Thanks!

21. DeeThomaz

This is very consistent with the basic shape of the set we’ve been able to reasonably piece together to date:

5 2CD “Complete” Dylan shows
    3 CDs rehearsals
    1 CD rarities.

22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

...and this allows ‘some other label’ to perhaps make a companion cd box set(s) ;)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  23. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

So there will definitely be rehearsals. I can't hardly wait to hear the rehearsals.
    And rarities. I'd hope for Dylan's appearance on the John Hammond Tribute,
    one of his finest performances ever.

I suppose it's legally impossible to include the original "Hurricane." I'm still
    uncertain if that was simply withdrawn or if it had to be destroyed.

DeeThomaz and WildHoneyPie like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

I’d be very interested to learn if the same legal issues still apply too.

Krogsgaard’s sessionography confirms the original “Hurricane” tapes were wiped. But at least the tape copy that escaped is reasonable quality and it’s not impossible to imagine they’d have access to a better generation version. I don’t expect Desire outtakes will be included on a set called “The 1975 Tour Recordings” but I’d be DELIGHTED to be wrong and a few highlights from the sessions are included among the rarities.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Richard--W and appearcomposed like this.
  25. DeeThomaz

Here’s Krogsgaard’s (somewhat heartbreaking) note about “Hurricane”:

“It is interesting that all vocal tracks on the 16-track masters and all mixed down tapes of Hurricane as it was recorded in July 1975 were erased December 7, 1976. This had to do with factual mistakes in the story as told in the song which were considered actionable. This was the reason why Hurricane was rerecorded four months later.”

Richard--W likes this.