KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Do you also appreciate a barbed wire catheter now too?

carlwm likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

weeeelllll .... everyone has their kink :)

carlwm and dave9199 like this.
  3. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Carnival of Souls was fun to go through on this thread. I hated it before, but taking it slow and breaking down each track really opened it up for me. There's some really good material on the album, it's just so different than anything else they'd ever done.

The Elder freakin' rules.

4. mark winstanley

That's why I like the album threads. It makes me listen like I used to when I was a young-un and re-evaluate

Cheevyjames and carlwm like this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That reflects my experience.

6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Me too! :righton:

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Mate, Have you spotted that NPG Chris is back and posting in some of the other KISS threads?

I know that you were concerned about him!

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Still waiting for Tales to be anything other than a chore. The Elder at least stayed within 40-ish minutes, and all the songs, whether you’re into them or not, are largely concise and to the point, like Kiss had always done. It’s a departure, for sure, but they avoided a lot of the trappings of concept LP’s just by keeping it a manageable, digestible length. On their own, “The Oath,” and “I” are great tunes, and had they been on Creatures no one would’ve blinked an eye, IMO.

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Agreed!

Godshifter's song thread made me realize that track for track, The Elder is the KISS album I like the most. Great writing, really committed performances and a really lush Ezrin production.

walrus, YardByrd and mark winstanley like this.
  10. mark winstanley

Both great songs.
    The song that snuck up on me over the years was Under The Rose, possibly my favourite track on there ... it's kinda like Kiss meets Steeleye Span ... instead of the Phantom of The Park :)

walrus and carlwm like this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

KISS meets Steeleye Span is spot on!

Fantastic analogy!

12. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Man, that's a fantastic song!

13. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Revisiting some Kiss albums I have not heard in awhile, Psycho Circus and Sonic Boom and I have to say I really enjoyed them.

Regarding Revenge, although I love the album, I love the tours of this era way more. I love how Kiss seemed to get back to its roots (well this kind of started with Hot in The Shade for me) and embraced the early catalog. Hearing songs like 100,000 Years, Parasite, Watching You, etc was really refreshing.

I also thought the band sounded incredible and Eric Singer was a welcome addition. The pre-tour club shows, UK tour and US Revenge tour were all incredible. Also, the 94-95 era before Unplugged and the reunion to me is right up there with the 75-77 era. Some of my fave live Kiss performances come from this era.

15. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

How True!

I seen them during the Destroyer run and the "Revenge" era small club shows were off the chain incredible!!

16. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I can listen to Tales, where as when it first came out I couldn't. It's got some fine moments I think, but they're brief. I can appreciate it if not love it. Wondrous Stories really grew on me.. Fragile & YES Album are still great. Relayer I still love, Moraz was great live. Didn't even need a cape peace

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It does have some fine moments, but I'm already half-asleep by the time you get to them. Even Tormato I've come to appreciate some of, but I don't think I'll ever learn to love Tales, when there's literally thousands of better records I could spend 82 minutes with. The surround mix is really nice though, for what that's worth.

William Smart likes this.
  18. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Only had CotN on CD for the last few years (didn't pay any attention when the record originally came out)... and haven't been enamoured of how loud the drums are... well, found a very nice original LP a few days ago... the drums are still loud but they sit better in the bed than on the '97 CD... count me as a big fan of the record... splendid... unfortunately, by '82 I wasn't buying KISS albums anymore... wonder how I woulda liked this back then?

Curveboy and carlwm like this.
  19. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

So the vast majority of the KISS catalog is up for streaming on Qobuz - in hi-Rez. Not sure what the mastering is - if it’s different than the 97s - but it sounds good.

As an aside, I made a playlist of everything they had in hi-Rez including the four 78 solo albums - and Peter’s stuff comes off better in the larger mix, I’m surprised to say.

William Smart, carlwm and GodShifter like this.
  20. William Smart

KISS tickets for Mohegan Sun Sec3 row B $1250. Lol last time I sat 2nd row I paid $7.50

21. William Smart

So no I did not go. It wasn't the price,though 1250 I would never pay unless it included the night with Shannon. Ok that was bad. I didn't want to see them the last time, being anything less than the Hottest Band In The World that I remember. So the end of an era guys. But we have great memories. Peace

YardByrd and carlwm like this.
  22. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Hey KISS fans, I was listening to a 1999 Eric Singer Project record, ESP, it's got Bruce Kulick and John Corabi on it, and I think it's really enjoyable! It really seems under the radar, though. It's all covers, but they chose mostly not well known songs, which I think helps. I really enjoyed their cover of Goin' Blind as well as Deep Purple's Never Before. Anybody else aware of this?

[​IMG]

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not heard of this one. Sounds interesting though so thanks for the heads up!

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

There were two versions, one had a few demos with bonus tracks. Ace is on one song...they did a live CD as well!

25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

What are your opinions on it?