Room Treatment Products from UA Acoustics?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Helom, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helom

Helom Forum member Thread Starter

displayname, George P and Sta11ker like this.
  2. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

This page seems to have some conflicting information about whether you can return items or not: Shipping & Returns

3. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Nice to see the graphs for the difference thickness. They look most effective between 400 Hz to 1.25 kHz .
    Great if you have measured that there where the peeks are in the room. Or maybe only to treat the first reflections points.

Fishoutofwater and Sta11ker like this.
  4. Helom

Yeah, 30 day satisfaction guarantee but they ask you return the products "immediately upon receipt." I think they meant for that stipulation to apply to damaged pieces.

Sta11ker likes this.
  5. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

My experience with foam is that it is nowhere near as effective as mineral wool etc. used in the products by the likes of GIK, certainly as far as bass traps are concerned.

The prices are cheap but there's no info on postage costs.

I'd rather stick to tried and trusted brands.

6. Helom

The prices through Amazon are also fairly cheap.

Sta11ker likes this.
  7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Something to keep in mind is while fancy diffusers might be made of different material, for standard cloth covered acoustic panels, it’s all the same OC703 underneath. GIK doesn’t cover OC703 with cloth better then their competition.

I’ve gotten all my acoustic panels from ATS acoustics on Amazon and suggest checking them out.

8. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

GIK doesn't just use OC703. They use Roxul and other stuff too. Depends on the trap.

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Like I said, every acoustic product isn’t made of OC703. GIK’s standard non-diffuser cloth covered acoustic panels are what I’m saying is the same as everybody else’s.

10. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I agree that foam is best avoided in acoustic products, in favor of fiberglass or mineral wool. Foam is less effective and also deteriorates after a few years.

Kyhl likes this.
  11. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

My primary concern with products like this is the use of acoustic foam. The foam will, in time, harden, crumble and turn to dust. I've had foam that ended up this way. It may take ten years or more for that to happen, but, life span is a consideration.

LeeS, Mike-48, Helom and 1 other person like this.
  12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I am increasingly against traditional room acoustic treatments. Way more often than not I see these companies sell way too many panels that over-dampen the room and the midrange gets sucked out. I would want members here to be really aware of that.

My solution has been a careful application of Synergistic Research HFTs which accomplish the same effect but are a lot less intrusive on the look of the room.

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

Do you have any pics of the HFTs in use? The skeptic in me is curious.

LeeS likes this.
  14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Here's some info about them I compiled through their responses on Amazon.

If you are concerned about bass absorption the 4-inch panels perform 4 times as well as the 2-inch panels at 125Hz. However, the two thicknesses perform equally well at 500Hz and above. Both thicknesses work very well to reduce reverb, ringing, and unwanted reflections in your room. The 4-inch panels will do more to even out the bass in the room, but they are not true bass traps and they will not absorb much below 100Hz.

We use Roxul AFB Mineral Wool as the core material in our ATS Acoustic Panels.

2-inch panels have an excellent NRC of 1.0. ATS 4-inch thickness are rated 1.15 out of 1. Superior sound absorption means fewer panels are required to effectively treat your space.

SandAndGlass and Helom like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

17. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Maybe, but that's not my experience.

In a room 14' x 13' I've got 21 bass traps and ten other panels and have tried to prevent all reflections. No diffusors. I get good bass, fine mid range and acceptable high frequencies. Whilst I use to favour side wall reflections, eliminating most of them has made the sound crisper, precise. I like what I hear! (I didn't do this in one go but over a few years).

Encore, Mike-48, Helom and 1 other person like this.
  18. Helom

I'm mostly looking to replace my existing treatments with panels of better aesthetics. However, I must say the best sound I've heard was in an extensively treated room. It also had about 6 of these towers ($$$$):
    DaaD - Acustica Applicata

19. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Kyhl, Strat-Mangler and Helom like this.
  20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

looks reasonable! just remember to double the panels when cost comparing.
    The proven entity GIK panels would still be my preference- you really need a 2' X 4' panel for adequate coverage.
    GIK Acoustics - 4A Alpha Panel Acoustic Panel - Absorber / Diffusor

Helom likes this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

Can you link to where you are seeing the graphs?

Do you suppose that these products would sufficiently absorb treble at first reflection points?

Sta11ker likes this.
  22. Helom

I would think a foam/fiber- only panel would be best for high freqs but I'm no expert on room treatment.

I currently have Auralex foam panels at first reflection points. Most have been up since I moved in, so hard to say how effective they are overall. However, I put one up between the speakers on the forward wall and that improved imaging depth quite a bit.

Sta11ker and George P like this.
  23. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Sta11ker and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Sta11ker and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

I currently use a piece of cardboard with an old, soft couch cushion wrapped around it. It does the trick, but now I'm wondering how much better these UA panels would work. Like this one (not sold on amazon): Sound Absorbing Acoustic Panel «Cinematic» — WorldWide Shipping | Fast Delivery

Sta11ker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.